Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Old Theatres/ Ballrooms

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I'm on the hunt at the moment for a reception site for my wedding in the Philadelphia area (Bucks, Berks, Chester, Delaware, Philadelphia, Lancaster Counties). I'm trying to find something Golden age appropriate as I don't see myself getting married at something that looks like a hotel lobby. (Nothing against hotel lobbies :rolleyes: )

I found the Belvedere in Baltimore which I'm super fond of, but Baltimore, MD is a 2+ hour drive for the majority of our guests. I was wondering if anyone knows of any place that looks similar to an old big band/ dance hall? I figured the lounge is probably the best resource I have for finding what I'm looking for- bridal websites all want to send me to country clubs and hotels.

Here's the website I've been looking at as a sort of inspiration:
http://www.trufflescatering.com/wed/index.html

And a few photos:
wedding_ballroom_1.gif

speakeasy.gif

4celebrity_club.jpg

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I wish! :)

The Ben is just SOOOO expensive. That would honestly have been my first choice- great location, near the airport/ hotels/ food/ shopping etc... but the cost for the ben is always astronomical.

Thank you though!

Foofoogal

Banned
Oops. Sorry. I barely know where PA. is even. lol
Maybe someone who lives in the area will help.
Try Google local for your area.
Hope you find something grand for your special day.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
lol- don't be sorry! I really appreciate the help!

I'm gonna google it up right now- I'll just have to keep plugging in different key words without saying wedding! haha

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Contact every hotel and find out what sort of facilities they have for weddings and so forth. Second possibility are golf courses and country clubs. But keep in mind something like what you're talking about IS going to cost a bit no matter where you hold it. That's just the nature of the beast.

YARVTON

New in Town
A Wedding in the City of Brotherly Love

Have you ruled out the Bellevue? Perhaps the events people there might suggest some appropriate alternatives.

miss_elise

Practically Family
any colleges or art galleries that allow you to host events there of a suitable nature?

i googled "art deco ballrooms philadelphia" maybe not quite golden age but close.... an interesting one that popped out at me was the "30th Street Station" built in 1934, which has a function room for hire, looked fun...
1.jpg

not sure about your price range or number of guests...

but obviously being on the other side of the world, i have no experience of this place IRL...

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Call City Hall

Sometimes there are event spaces for rent in civic buildings, and the pricing is usually a lot lower! We got a fabulous place for our wedding that cost about 1/5th of what every other place was asking.

And don't write off the country clubs - there was a huge boom of country club building all over the country in the 20s and 30s, and they are usually beautiful and have all the amenities.

And mazel tov by the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou