Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for Waxed cotton/oilskin motorcycle coat?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Currently sporting a Barbour Border with under layers from Draggin K Kevlar topped off with a Knox armoured vest.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
AeroFan_07, I absolutely love them. I also have a cascade, a belstaff Montana, bks leathers ex police jacket and many others. The vansons are up there for riding with all the others that I have, Aero, eastman, dainese etc,, been riding for 50 years so I've had plenty of experience.
Hi Peter! The Dakar is a Hein Garicke, not a vanson, but its a great coat with it's own following. If I'm succesfull in shrinking myself out of it, I'll definately let you know

Be warned it wears HOT. It seals well and its a little poofy, so it traps a lot of dead air space inside. It has an insulated liner but you don't want to put that in until is below freezing. It's perfect for riding when it's cold enough that you have to watch out for ice.

And thanks for the Claymore tip, I sent Carl a note asking about his availability and what sorts of options he has and for a rough price estimate

Last edited:

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Is this a genuine Mac? Looks perfect for what I want, and made pretty well.

B0CE5474-9F1D-49BB-B377-7BE4B7B20790.jpeg
5B5DBFB0-A7DC-464F-9FFB-76445413C427.jpeg
02466F13-C77D-4C09-AB11-8C5EA8428F64.jpeg
127E71D7-C6B4-4473-B8F2-D03BEC66AFFC.jpeg

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I always love that jacket. I am keeping an eye out for one. If anyone selling one in size 42 or 44. PLEASE let me know.
The TT in comp. leather and the Swedish touring jacket are the two on my short list. They never come up....

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Belstaff and Barbour don't make'm like they used tah...

Lewis's equivalent of the Barbour International is their Mudlarker, still made in England. They also have the Roadmaster, which is the leather version.

The revived Goldtop sells the Patrol jacket, which combines that same English motorcycle jacket style with Knox armour.

All of these will be good options.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Lots of good variations in this; Speedwear or Claymore would be where I'd start. Or the Goldtop Patrol if leather is desired. https://goldtop.co.uk/collections/jackets
Holy smokes! Speedway looks great! They look simple, well made, good weight canvas.... I think you've found it. AND they make over trousers, I have a pair of overtrousers from Driza, but these have a double seat, leather wear points...
Thank you!

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Swedish is super cool too, i had two of them, kept one, both bought on eBay, i have seen maybe 4 or 5 size 42 in the last few years. If you see one ignore the measurements, just buy your usual tag size.

d4a8s06.jpg
Can you tell me more about the measurements versus the tag size? How are they supposed to fit when worn? CD3FB9DD-7E48-4FE1-9C7B-AB0C98436FAE.jpeg
In the catalog close up it looks like it's over the guys hips almost like the tourist trophy, like its a cropped jacket style in 3/4 length?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Can you tell me more about the measurements versus the tag size? How are they supposed to fit when worn? View attachment 477888
In the catalog close up it looks like it's over the guys hips almost like the tourist trophy, like its a cropped jacket style in 3/4 length?

The pit to pit is HUGE, they are basically a giant leather bag, here are the measurements of my size 42:

Pit to pit: 29”
Back length: 27”
Front length: 22.5”
Bottom hem: 20”
Shoulders: 21”
Arms length:23”

They are designed to take layers. I don't think you should downsize to a smaller size just to get a "correct pit to pit" as it's just not designed like that. They also have huge armholes to allow comfortable layering, as well as two zippers and a massive crossover the chest, they are super warm. The arms look super short on paper but the wide shoulders sompensate, the second one i bought (not pictured) has arms 1" longer and a nicer leather.

Pics here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/my-leather-jacket-database.93804/page-5#post-2660272

Edward

Bartender
Swedish is super cool too, i had two of them, kept one, both bought on eBay, i have seen maybe 4 or 5 size 42 in the last few years. If you see one ignore the measurements, just buy your usual tag size.

d4a8s06.jpg

I've often been tempted by the canvas version as a hiking jacket (long time since I did any hiking, but I'd love to go back to it...). These have such a great, retro-futurist, sci-fi combat look to them in my eyes.

The revived Goldtop sells the Patrol jacket, which combines that same English motorcycle jacket style with Knox armour.

Goldtop have been very clever in finding their niche, imo. When they first (re)launched, there was no armouring, but they quickly introduced it in some of the more 70s style jackets, then gradually rolled it out across the range. I think this (as was the case with dropping the logo patch the first run of jackets carried on their exteriors) can only have been a response to market demand. Retro has been a big thing in bike-style for over a decade, but it took a very long time for the gear industry to catch up to the idea of retro looks with modern PPE standards. Nice to see them succeeding in this niche.

barnabus

One Too Many
I've just remembered this!

I saw a YouTuber wearing it in one of his videos so I messaged and asked what it was. I think it's utterly superb, but sadly too much for my meagre budget.

ashley-watson-eversholt-jacket-mkii_dk-olive_4x5_76ca98ee-b78d-4d31-a485-78e0c4cf5314_900x.jpg

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
Hi Peter! The Dakar is a Hein Garicke, not a vanson, but its a great coat with it's own following. If I'm succesfull in shrinking myself out of it, I'll definately let you know

Be warned it wears HOT. It seals well and its a little poofy, so it traps a lot of dead air space inside. It has an insulated liner but you don't want to put that in until is below freezing. It's perfect for riding when it's cold enough that you have to watch out for ice.

And thanks for the Claymore tip, I sent Carl a note asking about his availability and what sorts of options he has and for a rough price estimate
I think you have shrunk yourself out of it already,, you're drowning in it lol,, ps, im joking, but I await your PM :)

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I found a vintage barbour A7 in what looks to be really good shape. So after all that I went with an old Barbour. I'm stoked to find one without wear or stains! It's been worn and used, but not abused.
2C3A8F05-68E1-43D4-92EE-00C520CC7C85.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ