Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for Waxed cotton/oilskin motorcycle coat?

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Belstaff and Barbour don't make'm like they used tah...

I'm trying to track down a classic four pocket/belted/buckled throat, buckled wrists, waxed cotton riding jacket. This is for wind and drizzle protection on a bike, I know the limitations of waxed canvas. I'll be wearing it over a Ventmax armered shirt or a properf riding jacket so it doesn't need its own armor. I do want it thick and durable, 10oz or better.

Belstaff uses a "dry wax" thats not waterproof, and then relies on a microtex (like goretex) interliner to block the water. Barbour might work, but I can't find the A7 on their website, and both companies have outsourced production.

The Aerostitch Fallstaff has too much velcro.

I have a short waxed canvas jacket from Vanson, and if they made their Teton touring coat in waxed canvas it would be PERFECT.

Any ideas or thoughts would be great. Where to get a nice vintage example? A lot of fakes on Ebay, and I'm not an expert in this area.

Thank you guys!!

Last edited:

barnabus

One Too Many
I wear my Barbour International over the top of am admitted shirt, but I've also had a Speedwear in the past.

Very solid and decently made, but I found the proportions didn't work for me as well as the Barbour does.

And I also had a Richa Bonneville, which was excellent but sized too generously for my frame even the Small was too big. A huge (ha!) shame because it was a brilliant jacket.

It's now discontinued but you can find NOS on eBay occasionally, or used ofc.

barnabus

One Too Many
And...

In shorter styles I've had an Oxford Howell which was absolutely excellent quality with everything about it superbly put together.

And also a Held 66. Nice enough but unremarkable and the quality was noticeably not up to the Oxford level.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Just in case you are more set on the model than the fabric, are you aware that Vanson made that jacket in leather in the 90s?
I have one and it is really nice, great riding jacket. Mine is the original TT style made in October 19, 1992.
There has been a couple version, the older one called the TT/Trophy Jacket, the more recent one called Leather Stormer.

4ZGoDV0.jpg

imIvSyj.jpg

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Try campbellcooper.com their black waxed belted motorcycle jacket/coat may be what you are looking for, I’ve had their waxed coats in the past and they are very good and unbelievably cheap, they are also a very reliable company although their website leaves something to be desired.
D

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
This is GREAT! Thank you!

Here is my Vintage Paris Dakar coat, it’s a leather version of what I’m after but in oilskin. This is a size 44” and I’m wearing over a medium Vanson Ventmax armored mesh shirt (that I can JUST barely squeeze into!)
F4F02BD5-BDCB-4A8D-98D3-7B9BD7F96B14.jpeg

This is the ventmax,

7C753A66-8AC9-42EB-904C-F2B23BA038F8.jpeg

Here is the short Vanson four pocket I have, also a medium, no way can I fit an armored shirt underneath this.
C2286882-BF8E-4DB4-9960-90DA8DA64384.jpeg

And for more sizing my Vanson Highwayman, this is a 44 just like the Hein Garicke Dakar, but it is snug even with the laces opened up all the way.

85D93487-CCB8-414A-B99C-CE587257B922.jpeg

I’m a middle aged dad with a 3 month old, and I was a 40/42 for AGES, and now I’m a fat 44. I’ve been losing weight, running and lifting, currently 215 at 5’10” and on my journey to 180lbs again.

So for fit, I want something that just squeezes over my bulk + armor in my current shape, and as I continue dropping will be more comfortable. So a large or XL depending on sizing, and a 44 chest depending on the ease in the garment.

Some GREAT suggestions here, I somehow missed the Stormer, Vanson changes their textile coats all the time! If the barnstormer had a belt, and some comp. leather at the shoulders and elbows it would be ideal.

I’m going to sift through what you’ve all posted and see what’s what.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Just in case you are more set on the model than the fabric, are you aware that Vanson made that jacket in leather in the 90s?
I have one and it is really nice, great riding jacket. Mine is the original TT style made in October 19, 1992.
There has been a couple version, the older one called the TT/Trophy Jacket, the more recent one called Leather Stormer.

4ZGoDV0.jpg

imIvSyj.jpg

That is a beauty. I have been looking for that TT for a very long time. I was wondering how long yours is?
Please advise,
G.

barnabus

One Too Many
I love the big rear pocket on this;

And love the style of this;

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
This is GREAT! Thank you!

Here is my Vintage Paris Dakar coat, it’s a leather version of what I’m after but in oilskin. This is a size 44” and I’m wearing over a medium Vanson Ventmax armored mesh shirt (that I can JUST barely squeeze into!)
View attachment 476983

This is the ventmax,

View attachment 476984

Here is the short Vanson four pocket I have, also a medium, no way can I fit an armored shirt underneath this.
View attachment 476993

And for more sizing my Vanson Highwayman, this is a 44 just like the Hein Garicke Dakar, but it is snug even with the laces opened up all the way.

View attachment 477002

I’m a middle aged dad with a 3 month old, and I was a 40/42 for AGES, and now I’m a fat 44. I’ve been losing weight, running and lifting, currently 215 at 5’10” and on my journey to 180lbs again.

So for fit, I want something that just squeezes over my bulk + armor in my current shape, and as I continue dropping will be more comfortable. So a large or XL depending on sizing, and a 44 chest depending on the ease in the garment.

Some GREAT suggestions here, I somehow missed the Stormer, Vanson changes their textile coats all the time! If the barnstormer had a belt, and some comp. leather at the shoulders and elbows it would be ideal.

I’m going to sift through what you’ve all posted and see what’s what.
I would fit into your Paris Dakar perfectly if you ever feel like moving it along :), it would add to my vanson collection of Enfield, model E, cobra and cobra properf, all fantastic riding jackets. A match for anything. All size 44. The grain on the Enfield is fantastic
16724271573777292294608849381458.jpg
16724269820222012018246121954026.jpg

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I would fit into your Paris Dakar perfectly if you ever feel like moving it along :), it would add to my vanson collection of Enfield, model E, cobra and cobra properf, all fantastic riding jackets. A match for anything. All size 44. The grain on the Enfield is fantastic View attachment 477049 View attachment 477048

THAT is a wonderful Quartet of Vansons - all singing to the tune of Competition Weight in it's glory years!

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
AeroFan_07, I absolutely love them. I also have a cascade, a belstaff Montana, bks leathers ex police jacket and many others. The vansons are up there for riding with all the others that I have, Aero, eastman, dainese etc,, been riding for 50 years so I've had plenty of experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ