Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loose thread on leather jacket pocket

EugeneAus

New in Town
Hi all,

I have noticed some stitching wearing away on my Eastman A2 goat.

I understand this is just the nature of wearing something a lot, but has this happened to anybody else? And, if you are further down the line of the deterioration, do you wish you did something differently? (Repair, stop using the pocket etc)

This stitch line appears to be not super important, as it roles seems to be securing the pocket to the torso at the two sides (but not holding a hem).

Anyway, thanks kindly for reading and please let me know what you think.

Eugene

PXL_20221205_041914916.jpg
PXL_20221205_041924395.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That's not good, that kind of stitching damage will carry on unravelling if you don't do anything.
If it was mine i would most likely pull all the thread in between the two broken stitches and restitch it myself by hand using two needles.
Unless you do that i am ready to bet that the thread in between the two arrows will slowly unravel:

9xk7EAf.jpg

Saying that, this is definitely not an important stitch, it is decorative.
If you don't mind seeing a row of empty holes you can just do nothing and you'll be fine.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
You can repair it. However, you must locate the exact thread to get the best results. The problem is your upper thread (sewing machine tension) is set too loose. If you share better images, I can let you know if you cause the problem or if it was a bad thread tension during manufacturing. Your pocket appears to me to be similar to the sample image on the left. Threads should look like samples on the right.

R.jpg

This video at 4:10 shows the problem: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lower+thread+tension+problems&&view=detail&mid=2D45484BF3CBAB457D112D45484BF3CBAB457D11&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=lower+thread+tension+problems&FORM=HDRSC3

A quick fix is to push the thread in and glue it to the bottom thread if possible. If not possible carefully put a tiny drop of glue in thread and push it into the hole.

Last edited:

EugeneAus

New in Town
You can repair it. However, you must locate the exact thread to get the best results. The problem is your upper thread (sewing machine tension) is set too loose. If you share better images, I can let you know if you cause the problem or if it was a bad thread tension during manufacturing. Your pocket appears to me to be similar to the sample image on the left. Threads should look like samples on the right.

View attachment 470239

This video at 4:10 shows the problem: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lower+thread+tension+problems&&view=detail&mid=2D45484BF3CBAB457D112D45484BF3CBAB457D11&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=lower+thread+tension+problems&FORM=HDRSC3

A quick fix is to push the thread in and glue it to the bottom thread if possible. If not possible carefully put a tiny drop of glue in thread and push it into the hole.
An attempt at a clearer photo...

Thanks to you and Carlos for a considered response!

Attachments

• PXL_20221205_104518188.jpg
    PXL_20221205_104518188.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53

EugeneAus

New in Town
I am now deciding whether I will be better off trying to hand stitch through the existing stitch holes or glue the old thread in place. It definitely feels like the whole thread is deteriorating(captured more clearly in this photo)...

Thanks again for your wisdom, both.

Attachments

• PXL_20221205_104709925.jpg
    PXL_20221205_104709925.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
It's getting unraveled for the obvious & already stated reasons and it'll continue to do so if you plan on using this pocket. Glue isn't something I personally would use as first and foremost, you need the correct type of glue, one that won't burn the leather but either kind can have different effect on the finish. Plus, it can come out messy.

What I do when this happens on my leathers - And it happens a lot! - is hand stitch thru the holes. This seems to hold the original thread firmly in place as well as making the issue less obvious. Might be a bit harder to find the perfect match for this thread as Eastman works with generally more period authentic material but it's not impossible.

This isn't a big deal, really.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
yeah, just find similar color thread from local sewing supplier store you better buy in person because it is near impossible to get the color match online, then just repeat the 2 stitches before through and after the affected areas using the old holes, from under to top step back one hole and the needle goes to under again , then step forward 2 holes to top, then step back one hole to under again and so on. when youre done, dip a needle or toothpick into superglue, and apply it to the start and the finish of the fix to extra secure it.

Edward

Bartender
I had this happen on a wallet I owned years ago. Picked up some decent thread and a leather needle, and sewed it myself following the original holes. Held together quite well after that. Took quite a while (spent maybe half an hour on a three inch edge, getting it right), but worked fine in the end.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Use this technique with two needles, there is no need for a leather needle as you are not making holes, just going through already made ones. (no need tu pull the stitches as tight as he is doing it or you will deform the leather)

It's really an easy fix if you are a bit handy.

Like @Monitor i would not use glue myself, leather glue is pretty tacky and is really designed to work on the flesh side.
Super glue would make a mess and make restitching later a harder job, you are better off stitching it.

Edit: you should ask Eastman to send you a few meters of matching thread so you can fix it properly, they are very nice and i'm sure they would do it.
I had the same thing happen on the belt of one of my Lost Worlds and Stuart sent me some thread.

Also, you need to stop carrying whatever you carry in that pocket, cause the same thing is going to keep happening!

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Asking for the manufacturer for the very same thread is the way to go to do a simple repair. Those thread color shades are not easily available. When I repaired items at the aviation museum a gluing technique worked well. If you are patient and do not use too much glue and if you do it correctly you cannot even tell it was repaired. The thread appears to me to be something similar to the period correct 16-3 cotton glazed thread.
Navetsea, has excellent tips on how to start and finish your treads.
If you go the glue route, remember to use a small amount in the leather hole. A VERY THIN needle can be used to introduce the glue into the hole. Have a damp thin cloth to clean the area if you see any overflow. Rember you are trying to keep the broken thread sequence to stay put. THE TENSION IS AT THE BOTH ENDS WHERE THE LOCK STITCH FAIL.
Sadly, to see how that jacket was manufactured. I wonder if the tension problem was corrected before sewing other panels together?

Good luck with your repair. If you need specific tips, PM me. I can help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112