Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds B-2 Flight Jacket

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
So, here is one of my latest eBay LW scores, a new and unworn B-2 flight jacket.
It's a jacket i have wanted for a while but i couldn't bring myself to spend new money on a jacket that would not see much use. I was lucky and stumbled upon a 42L one in the UK.

It is a very interresting jacket, most seams are triple stitched, it has the biggest mutton collar ever designed, and a ridiculously thick 26oz alpaca lining.
The lining is basically like wearing a peacoat underneath a leather jacket, it is madness.

There is zero tapering from pits to waist, probably due to the fact that they were designed to be worn above similarly thick pants. It is definitely a jacket designed to layer.
A part of me would have wanted it a bit tighter, but i have reached a point where i am not looking for 100% perfect fit i guess. Knowing this one was a copy of an original i don't mind the larger fit, it's built for a specific function and i am ok with that.

Warmth wise, i find it a lot more usable than the B-3.
Today i spent 2 hours outside in just above freezing temperatures wearing a thin jumper and the jacket and i never felt cold, had i been wearing a B-3 i would have been too warm. I could easily go down to -5c (23F) with a thicker jumper, there is plenty of room in the body and arms to layer comfortably.

My jacket was missing the elastic strap that sits on the back of the collar, but Stuart sent me a replacement one free of charge, once it arrives i will update this thread with pics showing how it works and what it does...

Pics:

q7jV1Nx.jpg

TeztkY6.jpg

ZShLEqp.jpg

Fit Pics:

VKEB0ZA.jpg

dCNx7D2.jpg

tFLSuyR.jpg

a0y0buH.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
This one is on my winter jacket short list. Looks great. Awesome photos.

Just FYI, i have worn it up to 10-12c (50F ish) and i was still not overheating.
Not sure how often you would get to wear it in Florida, definitely more than a B-3

Photo wise, i have just invested in one of these, it's a game changer! Once i have figured out a method i am 100% happy with i am going to start my database over, there are a bunch of jackets i need to photograph and upload...

8Fvje4n.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That would be cool! Sometimes when I need info on some jacket, measurements or fit for instance, I dive into your 'leather jacket database'. Very helpful.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/my-leather-jacket-database.93804/

Thank you, i originally did that so i would be able to have acces to these pics and measurements from anywhere in the world, it has been very helpful to me, and i am glad to hear it is helping others.
I have to figure out a lighting setup that will be consistant, and figure out what specific pics i want to take for each jacket.
I want it to be consistant, take the exact same shot of every jacket i own, have the measurements, and have all my jackets posted in a row uninterrupted, a bit like an online book.

Because of the sheer amount of pictures i need to take i really want to experiment a bit before i get started.
If i take 7 pics per jacket that's more than 300 pics for all my jackets!
I should have it done sometimes next year.

Just FYI, i have worn it up to 10-12c (50F ish) and i was still not overheating.
Not sure how often you would get to wear it in Florida, definitely more than a B-3

Photo wise, i have just invested in one of these, it's a game changer! Once i have figured out a method i am 100% happy with i am going to start my database over, there are a bunch of jackets i need to photograph and upload...

8Fvje4n.jpg

Definitely useless in FL. Thinking about such a jacket bc of my upcoming move to either DC or Austin TX. Already sold my house.

Edward

Bartender
Always liked the B2. THe only repros I've seen are Buzz Rickson and Lost Worlds. It's a lovely design. I was always hoping Aero would have a run at one, but I recall they used to say they just didn't have a market for it - outside Japan, it doesn't seem there's much interest in this model. I guess it doesn't have that questionable war-fetishisation to it as it was replaced by the B3 long before the US entered WW2, so it never made it into a Steve Macqueen picture...

^^^ Thanks EM. Ready for next phase...and to put S FL in the rear view. Grew up here, it’ll always be home. But I gotta go.

I should have more opportunities to wear jackets off the bike in Austin too. I hope so at least. DC is it’s own animal.

Carlos this jacket is amazing!
If I lived in a cold place, I would be hunting one down for sure.
On the side arm tripod- make sure you counter-balance the opposite end from the camera. Otherwise it could topple over. I have a small sandbag that does the trick.
Can’t wait to see your online library!

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Again, congratulations. I like this jacket which has an impressive look, especially the massive collar....looking at your backside looks like you've just hunted a grizzly bear in the wilderness and are walking home to your family. I was close to also consider one instead of a B-3 due to the better suitability for the climate I live in. Wear it in good health Carlos! Great score!

Poltung

New in Town
Hey there @Carlos840 , I know I'm a bit late to the party so sorry for digging up this thread, but after 2-3 years of wear would you consider this jacket "practical"?
What I mean is, is there enough space for valuable items (phone, wallet and keys)? Can you comfortably go down well below freezing (-5 to -10C) if layering with a t-shirt and a thick wool sweater ? Would you say that the jacket is comfortable to wear and move in? Do you miss handwarmer pockets?
What would be your 2 years review?
Thanks!

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I REALLY like the fit you have in that jacket. It fits like a uniform from an old flight crew photo, rather than a modern fitted custom, and I think it adds a lot to whole look.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hey there @Carlos840 , I know I'm a bit late to the party so sorry for digging up this thread, but after 2-3 years of wear would you consider this jacket "practical"?
What I mean is, is there enough space for valuable items (phone, wallet and keys)? Can you comfortably go down well below freezing (-5 to -10C) if layering with a t-shirt and a thick wool sweater ? Would you say that the jacket is comfortable to wear and move in? Do you miss handwarmer pockets?
What would be your 2 years review?
Thanks!

No worries, take my review with a grain of salt, i have worn that jacket less than 30 times in the time i have had it as it just isn't cold enough where i live.
Is it practical? No, not really, it's a giant heavy jacket with a huge collar and no pockets...
I still have not managed to open the patch pocket but i know from experience that it is a useless pocket design, it fits nothing. There are no inside pockets.

Do i enjoy the jacket when i wear it?

Yes very much, but i wear it in very specific situations.
For me this is the perfect "going out for a walk in the woods when it is 5C or less" that's all i wear it for, when i am leaving my house on foot with the intention of not being inside for a while.
I would not wear it to go shopping or to go to a restaurant, or if i had to spend time in my car or if i was traveling or anything like that... it is too heavy, too bulky.

I have worn it down to -8c with only a t-shirt and a good jumper and felt warm enough.
I find it far easier to wear than a B-3, it breaths better, the long sleeve zippers allow you to cool off quickly if you are overheating. And it is wearable in slightly warmer weather than the B-3 which IMO need -10c not to be a sweat suite.
To me the B-2 is perfect 10 to -10c, from -10c down switch to the B-3.

All that to say, it's a cool jacket, i'm happy i have it, i enjoy wearing it but i would have never bought it new as i don't get enough use out of it to justifie the new price.
I'm not going to call it practical, a puffer jacket is practical, a gore-tex shell is practical, a B-2 is a giant obsolete jacket that shouldn't be bought for it's practicality.

Edit: one thing i like about it is that it deals with rain a lot better than a B-3, if it's misty wet and cold, it's a jacket you feel good in.
The B-3 doesn't like dampness...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner