Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds Deerskin J100 Sz50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid $800 for a pair of Langlitz motorcycle pants while being perfectly aware of three exact same pairs that got sold on Poshmark and Craigslist for approx. $75 each. Would I have lucked out on a fourth pair, had I waited for a while? Without any doubt. Does paying 10x as much for mine make me unhappy? No, because buying them was my choice.

I simply do not understand in what way should the information that the seller is making a profit affect my interest to buy the listed item because at this point in time, it exists only as such, its current state & form and provided I do not have a DeLorean with a Flux Capacitor parked in front of my apartment, any information about its past value is, frankly, completely irrelevant.
But would you be equally happy selling $800 pants for $75? Because in all likelihood, according to the market value ( based on sales history) that’s what you can safely assume they are worth.

But would you be equally happy selling $800 pants for $75? Because in all likelihood, according to the market value ( based on sales history) that’s what you can safely assume they are worth.

I understand what you're trying to say but if I did list & sold them for $75, I would (have to) be equally happy because whatever the reasons, it was my decision to do so.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think if someone was lucky and could make a bargain and now wants to resell this at a profit, why not? Supply and demand regulates the price. If the price doesn't seem reasonable then it won't sell, otherwise it will.
Possibly I would be annoyed if I knew the low purchase price, but not because the seller made a profit, but because I myself am not able to grab a bargain. Lol
Anyway, I'm a lousy businessman myself and have always sold at a loss so far. But I begrudge anyone who has more skill there. The market regulates it. And we're not talking about basic foodstuffs here.

tek8080

Familiar Face
Since I started all this ruckus, and the conversation has continued despite all my original posts being deleted, I hope it's okay that I give one last message of context...

I knew of this jacket's existence before it was posted here on FL. I was not one of the bidders on eBay. I found out about it after it had sold on eBay, and before it was posted here on FL. I was searching for sold listings of jackets on eBay and saw that this J100 had sold on eBay for $551. I thought 'Wow, someone got a great deal, I'm sure they're thrilled to wear that'. I thought nothing more of it until about a week later (from first discovering the sold listing) when I saw it for sale here in the classifieds. I opened the post, and was shocked that the asking price was $900 more than what it sold for on eBay a month ago.

The OP here used the exact same $2500 new price as what was in the eBay listing, and also said it was a catch and release. So I assumed they were the one to buy it from eBay. Whether they were or were not, I feel like that is where I screwed up and the intent of my post was obfuscated.

What it ultimately boils down to is, did my posting of the jacket's history violate any forum rules? The fact that I am still here and I did not receive any sort of warning leads me to believe that it did not. Now some people said it was in poor taste, which is fine and everyone can have their own opinion on the morality of it.

You can lookup what a house or piece of property has sold for, or was listed for in the past. That doesn't change or invalidate the current market value and what someone can sell it for or buy it for. Making other forum members aware of an items past sales history is part of allowing the potential buyer to make an informed buying decision. It's my own fault for unintentionally making this about greed, when it was about transparency and availability of public information. I still stand by my posting of the public sales history of this jacket.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@tek8080 I dont think you did anything wrong, actually, I’m really happy that you shared this information with the forum.
I see that the OP is quite annoyed by this and feels that people should keep their mouth shut if they aren’t interested in buying the jacket. If this were merely a marketplace where goods were bought and sold, I think he might have a valid point.
But this is a community of jacket and hat lovers i’m very happy to see people looking out for each other when it comes to price gouging.

Camaro1967

One of the Regulars
@tek8080 I dont think you did anything wrong, actually, I’m really happy that you shared this information with the forum.
I see that the OP is quite annoyed by this and feels that people should keep their mouth shut if they aren’t interested in buying the jacket. If this were merely a marketplace where goods were bought and sold, I think he might have a valid point.
But this is a community of jacket and hat lovers i’m very happy to see people looking out for each other when it comes to price gouging.
You see, what irks me is I'm being accused of something I didn't do. I'm not trying to screw anyone over.

I bought the jacket (not on eBay), and I opted to list it here because it doesn't fit me and I know there are folks here who would be interested.

The fact that I need a backstory to defend my reason of selling a jacket or that it *may* have passed hands, if this is the same one from eBay before it reached me and on this forum, creates the impression I did something wrong and I'm really just trying to get my money back.

One thing that is clear to me, though, after this kind of treatment, what camaraderie is there really? It certainly doesn't feel that way on my end. I see a bunch of folks congratulating themselves on their good intentions, all the while ignoring basic logic and actual goodwill. Claims need evidence. None were provided. And goodwill is about offering the benefit of the doubt. Especially in the absence of evidence. Instead, I got shitposted by folks who were too busy assuming the worst while treating suspicions as evidence and repeating those suspicions as if they were factual.

So, for those that spoke up and defended me, I sincerely thank you. For those of you gaslighting the conversation with your expectations of ideal jacket history behavior, at any point you could have taken that conversation somewhere else among yourselves and, if that's your modus operandi for who you conduct business with, it may be a good practice for y'all moving forward to politely request that information from the OP upfront instead of assuming hearsay by a third-party as gospel. Otherwise, kindly save all of that for your DMs and your own classifieds.

So, am I annoyed? Kinda. Cause I thought Fedora Lounge had a better group of folks than that. And quite honestly, I enjoyed reading some of the posts and keeping up with it over the years. But when some folks jump the gun, continue to repeat falsehoods, needlessly stir the pot, double-down on unsubstantiated assertions, etc., what is there to appreciate? In my eyes, it made it very clear who I don't want to interact with again.

Last edited:

Sburgess

New in Town
I appreciate the link to the eBay item, because it has extra information that helps inform.

I'm not offended that someone bought it and is trying to make some serious coin, flipping it on a specialty site.

I'm not really interested in this jacket, but I jumped in to look because it's a size 50. I'm posting so as to encourage others to include information that helps to inform. A link to the Lost Worlds website, with this model jacket, would be a positive, as would links to the same model jacket with recent sales from eBay.

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
I paid $800 for a pair of Langlitz motorcycle pants while being perfectly aware of three exact same pairs that got sold on Poshmark and Craigslist for approx. $75 each. Would I have lucked out on a fourth pair, had I waited for a while? Without any doubt. Does paying 10x as much for mine make me unhappy? No, because buying them was my choice.

I simply do not understand in what way should the information that the seller is making a profit affect my interest to buy the listed item because at this point in time, it exists only as such, its current state & form and provided I do not have a DeLorean with a Flux Capacitor parked in front of my apartment, any information about its past value is, frankly, completely irrelevant.
I appreciate the story about the langlitz mc pants. You bought them for x when somewhere else they were sold cheaper.
That still isn't the same situation as buying a jacket on tfl from a long time member for 1000 an finding out they bought it from eBay for 100. Would you be happy about that? Or would you rather me or JMax say "hold on monitor dont spend a g it was posted in finds n deals for 100 bucks"

Infinitum

A-List Customer
Or would you rather me or JMax say "hold on monitor dont spend a g it was posted in finds n deals for 100 bucks"

I mean… who cares?

“I love those pants and they were worth $1,000 to me, but now that I know they were previously sold for $100 I’m not buying them.”

That isn’t reality.

Do you guys know what capitalism is? Free market economy? Price arbitrage?

There’s plenty of people who flip shit on eBay and other sites all the time. For some it is their job. How they make a living. How they feed their family. If you don’t want to buy anything from them, fine, but there’s plenty of people who don’t care. Because they understand how money works.

tek8080

Familiar Face
You see, what irks me is I'm being accused of something I didn't do. I'm not trying to screw anyone over.

I bought the jacket (not on eBay), and I opted to list it here because it doesn't fit me and I know there are folks here who would be interested.

The fact that I need a backstory to defend my reason of selling a jacket or that it *may* have passed hands, if this is the same one from eBay before it reached me and on this forum, creates the impression I did something wrong and I'm really just trying to get my money back.

One thing that is clear to me, though, after this kind of treatment, what camaraderie is there really? It certainly doesn't feel that way on my end. I see a bunch of folks congratulating themselves on their good intentions, all the while ignoring basic logic and actual goodwill. Claims need evidence. None were provided. And goodwill is about offering the benefit of the doubt. Especially in the absence of evidence. Instead, I got shitposted by folks who were too busy assuming the worst while treating suspicions as evidence and repeating those suspicions as if they were factual.

So, for those that spoke up and defended me, I sincerely thank you. For those of you gaslighting the conversation with your expectations of ideal jacket history behavior, at any point you could have taken that conversation somewhere else among yourselves and, if that's your modus operandi for who you conduct business with, it may be a good practice for y'all moving forward to politely request that information from the OP upfront instead of assuming hearsay by a third-party as gospel. Otherwise, kindly save all of that for your DMs and your own classifieds.

So, am I annoyed? Kinda. Cause I thought Fedora Lounge had a better group of folks than that. And quite honestly, I enjoyed reading some of the posts and keeping up with it over the years. But when some folks jump the gun, continue to repeat falsehoods, needlessly stir the pot, double-down on unsubstantiated assertions, etc., what is there to appreciate? In my eyes, it made it very clear who I don't want to interact with again.

Dude... Okay... I was honestly going to just leave this be until I saw that you finally came out and completely denied being the eBay buyer in this post. You must really think people are stupid and gullible here. Probably so stupid and gullible you could mark up a jacket nearly $1000 and flip it on some sucker.

It took me about 30 seconds to find your eBay account. The same Freewheelers jacket you have listed in this FL thread - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...eman-tatanka-brown-sz-46.109065/#post-2973106 is also listed on this eBay account - https://www.ebay.com/itm/225324774863?hash=item34766735cf:g:mfYAAOSwzRljr1z~

That eBay account has exactly 361 feedback points. The buyer of the J100 jacket for $551 on eBay that left the seller positive feedback also happens to have exactly 361 feedback points. - https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_...age:RECEIVED_AS_SELLER&_trksid=p2047675.l2560

Wow, what a crazy coincidence... I don't even care if my account gets terminated for this. I just don't like being lied to. Especially when you raised a big deal about a witch hunt and the FL community coming down on you. You should have just owned up to it.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Posting the jacket Lando asked like 500 bucks for with a 1000 bucks upcharge, questionable in a small place like this where people know each other but fair game. Not owning up to it and coming up with cascades of eloquent yet shallow non-sense when being confronted about it? Quite absurd. :)

Don‘t start a fire if you can‘t handle the heat. Sell on ebay if your pride can‘t handle people calling you what you are - a seller out for profit and not a fellow enthusiast who‘s just in for the passion and passing on a jacket that didn‘t work for him.

Last edited:
That still isn't the same situation as buying a jacket on tfl from a long time member for 1000 an finding out they bought it from eBay for 100. Would you be happy about that? Or would you rather me or JMax say "hold on monitor dont spend a g it was posted in finds n deals for 100 bucks"

But that's my point; As much as I would appreciate if you guys told me the original price, I honestly wouldn't know what exactly am I suppose to do with this information as it is completely useless to me. I would still want the pants & the fact that the seller is making a profit off me affects nothing. I can either rob myself of being happy by owning them - or - Buy them for their current market worth.

They cost Langlitz $130 so I'm being had one way or the other. :)

I know where you're coming from and I agree with you but ultimately, my feelings on the matter aren't applicable to the outcome of my transactions, which is all I'm trying to prove here.

Dude... Okay... I was honestly going to just leave this be until I saw that you finally came out and completely denied being the eBay buyer in this post. You must really think people are stupid and gullible here. Probably so stupid and gullible you could mark up a jacket nearly $1000 and flip it on some sucker.

It took me about 30 seconds to find your eBay account. The same Freewheelers jacket you have listed in this FL thread - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...eman-tatanka-brown-sz-46.109065/#post-2973106 is also listed on this eBay account - https://www.ebay.com/itm/225324774863?hash=item34766735cf:g:mfYAAOSwzRljr1z~

That eBay account has exactly 361 feedback points. The buyer of the J100 jacket for $551 on eBay that left the seller positive feedback also happens to have exactly 361 feedback points. - https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_...age:RECEIVED_AS_SELLER&_trksid=p2047675.l2560

Wow, what a crazy coincidence... I don't even care if my account gets terminated for this. I just don't like being lied to. Especially when you raised a big deal about a witch hunt and the FL community coming down on you. You should have just owned up to it.

The fact that all of this information is public knowledge, the point is; It is not your fucking business & you have absolutely no right to interfere with anyone's FS thread. Especially not if you made an account just for that purpose which, given that you have 8 posts, is probably the case. Furthermore, you're clearly just salty because you missed out on the jacket when it was originally listed and now you're too poor to afford it.

See? Both points I've just made are mean assumptions and/or baseless accusations & how does that make you feel?

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
It is not your fucking business & you have absolutely no right to interfere with anyone's FS thread.
Wrong.

The Classified Rules pinned in this forum section explicitly allow people to post in others FS threads and also explicitly refer to cases in which sellers are trying to sell for what this community knows to be above market value. This new member has every right to post here, as well as anyone else.

You, on the other hand, just personally attacked a guy despite his behaviour being in accordance with this places rules. Your code of conduct in sales does not apply here. The forum rules do.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Wrong.

The Classified Rules pinned in this forum section explicitly allow people to post in others FS threads and also explicitly refer to cases in which sellers are trying to sell for what this community knows to be above market value. This new member has every right to post here, as well as anyone else.

You, on the other hand, just personally attacked a guy despite his behaviour being in accordance with this places rules. Your code of conduct in sales does not apply here. The forum rules do.

Quoted for proof, from the head bartender himself:

"Also, be willing to accept suggestions from other members who may ask you to post better pictures, for example, or who may say outright that your item is not valuable and you should give up trying to command top dollar."

@jacketjunkie, @Carlos840 - Suggesting being the operative word here. Suggesting a price correction is one thing, personally calling out a member for what appears so far to be a personal agenda, is another.

There is a difference between saying "I believe you have priced your item too highly above market value." vs "You bought it for (as much) and are making a profit of it!".

Is @MemphisBlues' FS thread in a violation of either of the quoted criteria so that it requires interference by other members?

It is priced fairly (IMO) & all the photos look good to me so in what way is the conduct taken by @tek8080 justified?

I was clearly making an illustration, mirroring his presumptuous behavior, hence the italic font & me outright saying how mean and baseless my post would've otherwise been.
Of course I don't know Tek's financial situation, same as I am only guessing that he is angry because he didn't luck out on the initial eBay auction for this jacket. Hell, I don't even know if he ever wanted it; Just as Tek doesn't know if Blues indeed got the jacket off eBay and if he actually is making a profit by selling it here.

These are all irrelevancies, speculation and guessing and have no business in other persons business.

But that's my point; As much as I would appreciate if you guys told me the original price, I honestly wouldn't know what exactly am I suppose to do with this information as it is completely useless to me. I would still want the pants & the fact that the seller is making a profit off me affects nothing. I can either rob myself of being happy by owning them - or - Buy them for their current market worth.

They cost Langlitz $130 so I'm being had one way or the other. :)

I know where you're coming from and I agree with you but ultimately, my feelings on the matter aren't applicable to the outcome of my transactions, which is all I'm trying to prove here.

The fact that all of this information is public knowledge, the point is; It is not your fucking business & you have absolutely no right to interfere with anyone's FS thread. Especially not if you made an account just for that purpose which, given that you have 8 posts, is probably the case. Furthermore, you're clearly just salty because you missed out on the jacket when it was originally listed and now you're too poor to afford it.

See? Both points I've just made are mean assumptions and/or baseless accusations & how does that make you feel?

But another members feelings on the matter may be important. The demand side of the equation is not solely “is it a good deal”. There also has to be a desire, want, willingness to spend the money. This conversation has shown that hyper-aggressive flipping is not as welcome here as it would be on other mediums, where imo it should occur. Not for morality sake, but as a seller seeking a marketplace to maximize profits.

And you are very mean btw. Lol.

Frank Castle

Familiar Face
“Just as Tek doesn't know”

Disingenuous. He provided relevant evidence which is enough for a reasonable person to make inferences leading to a finding of fact.

Please see his more recent post.

By overlooking it as you did, one could feel that you tailored your investigation and were not staying above a bias towards a longer standing member.

Is it best practices to provide “benefit of a doubt” to only one?

“…Blues indeed got the jacket off eBay and …he actually is making a profit by selling it here.”

And you are good with it. Position noted.

However, the question to you is now whether it was sour grapes /cognitive dissonance or whistleblowing on Tek’s part?

The question for me is whether we are seeing something more along the spectrum of NPD and people inadvertently assuming “flying monkey” roles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21