Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds Downtown not too bad at all

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
I picked this up from Stuart not too long ago on the "Limited editions" part of his site. My wife and I were heading to France for a well deserved 20th Anniversary trip last month and it was a great time to break in some horsehide.
We were outdoors in Paris for a week then Mont St. Michel and Chartres. Lots of rain (stayed completely dry and warm) and riding the Metro with backpacks. Now this was the best way to break in horse! This thing is definitely tough.
115-1.jpg
;
010-2.jpg
;
093.jpg
;
1086-A.jpg
;
140-A.jpg
;
1261-A.jpg
;
493.jpg
; http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j227/wilburized/1021-A.jpg;
1259-A.jpg

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Yeah it's different than the standard Downtown but it does have a nice look. It's at least 4mm horsehide and best of all no storm cuffs so sweaters and watches are no problem.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
superb

very nice jacket, looking great on you...

howevah, i must ask, who is the luscious very tanned lady sitting on the bench with you in one picture?

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
That jacket looks like it was made just for you. The fit is very, very good. Thanks for posting. It's nice to see a positive Lost Worlds post.

It looks like you had a wonderful time in France, as well.

Regards,

Noel

JanSolo

Practically Family
That's a very very nice looking jacket! Great colour, pattern and fit. The halfbelt detail looks also very stylish. I bet the needlework and overall quality is flawless.
I especially like the very first shot in the "jardin des tuileries"...very good lighting on that photo. Along with your cap, paisley scarf and the fallen leaves it's almost a timeless picture.

BTW: I always thought only Germans would wear their scarf in that manner...

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
JanSolo said:
That's a very very nice looking jacket! Great colour, pattern and fit. The halfbelt detail looks also very stylish. I bet the needlework and overall quality is flawless.
I especially like the very first shot in the "jardin des tuileries"...very good lighting on that photo. Along with your cap, paisley scarf and the fallen leaves it's almost a timeless picture.

I picked the scarf up in Paris along with several more for my wife as well. The sales lady and my wife showed me the scarf method which I really liked. You can move it up and down during the day depending on the weather. I really enjoyed the different scarves everyone was wearing in Paris. I would add the women and their boots in Paris.....exceptional.

By the way Jan you have got quite a collection of jackets they are really nice. I also envy your living in Europe it must be really neat being able to move through different cultural realities at any given moment.

113-1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
JanSolo said:

Really? Why would that be - is there a specific reasoning (cultural? Military?) for that? [huh]

I have in the past tended to use what would be the more traditional approach in this part of the world:

smythe2.jpg

If it's not entirely clear (believe it or not, this is the best illustration I could find), that's basically a cravat knot - just like a traditional four in hand tie knot, but with the last step being pulling it out over the top, instead of tucking it in under the top horizontal layer of the knot.... if that makes sense. That can be on the bulky side, though, so I've relatively recently (this Winter, really) gone over to the metho depicted in the photo above. I find it works particularly well with a silk scarf, for what that may be worth.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Edward said:
Really? Why would that be - is there a specific reasoning (cultural? Military?) for that? [huh]

I have in the past tended to use what would be the more traditional approach in this part of the world:

smythe2.jpg

If it's not entirely clear (believe it or not, this is the best illustration I could find), that's basically a cravat knot - just like a traditional four in hand tie knot, but with the last step being pulling it out over the top, instead of tucking it in under the top horizontal layer of the knot.... if that makes sense. That can be on the bulky side, though, so I've relatively recently (this Winter, really) gone over to the metho depicted in the photo above. I find it works particularly well with a silk scarf, for what that may be worth.

Well I think it's the long and short of it.....

This ones real long so Jan's German method works just fine by me.

699.jpg

Now this ones sorta short and Cashmere and when it's cold outside well the "ascot" method works real good.

1312.jpg

But having said that there are those days when "all's right with the world" and you just want to "hang loose"!

1261-A.jpg

oneterrifichog said:
I picked this up from Stuart not too long ago on the "Limited editions" part of his site. My wife and I were heading to France for a well deserved 20th Anniversary trip last month and it was a great time to break in some horsehide.
We were outdoors in Paris for a week then Mont St. Michel and Chartres. Lots of rain (stayed completely dry and warm) and riding the Metro with backpacks. Now this was the best way to break in horse! This thing is definitely tough.
115-1.jpg
;
010-2.jpg
;
093.jpg
;
1086-A.jpg
;
140-A.jpg
;
1261-A.jpg
;
493.jpg
; http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j227/wilburized/1021-A.jpg;
1259-A.jpg

I have a downtown (HH) in black....
The HH is quite thik..(very durable) .What I also like about this coat is its length...very suitable for the windy weather here in Holland.

Edward

Bartender
oneterrifichog said:
Well I think it's the long and short of it.....

Yes, that makes sense with the length of the scarf.... I wonder is that behind what Jan refers to as being of a "German" knot style - are scarves there traditionally of a length that would facilitate that approach best?

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Probably cause I'm italian ;) (and of the mediterranean sort, as some anthropologist classified me...) I tend to suffer cold very badly;

So I tried many different system of wearing scarves, and came to the conclusion that... it all depends on the lenght of the scarf, and on the material.

I normally prefer a modified "cravat" style: if the scarf is long enough, it gives you the possibility to play with the ends of it, experimenting a variety of "knots".

(I first loop the scarf one time around the neck, then I, so the say, begin the operations for a four in hand, as in Edward's instruction... it works with long scarves)

While my brother seems to love the "german" method, don't know why
(except the fact that he, as many italians, is fascinated with all the things related with german traditions... but I don't think it's for that, they're simply two ways to wear a scarf).

In the streets, I'd say to preferred method here is to simply loop the scarf around the neck one or two times, followed by the "german" method, and then the "ascot" one.

BTW:
Very nice jacket! Compliments for your style! :)

bobjones

A-List Customer
oneterrifichog said:

Hey OTH, great looking jacket. A few questions:

1-is that the russet-brown FQHH? It looks darker than what is on the LW site.

2-what size is the jacket/what is your normal suit size and measurements?

3-outside of cost, was there a reason you chose this Downtown style over their regular downtown?

4-do you have an Aero FQHH jacket? If so, how does its hide compare in stiffness?

The jacket fits quite well, I must say.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Italian-wiseguy said:
Probably cause I'm italian ;) (and of the mediterranean sort, as some anthropologist classified me...) I tend to suffer cold very badly;

So I tried many different system of wearing scarves, and came to the conclusion that... it all depends on the lenght of the scarf, and on the material.

I normally prefer a modified "cravat" style: if the scarf is long enough, it gives you the possibility to play with the ends of it, experimenting a variety of "knots".

(I first loop the scarf one time around the neck, then I, so the say, begin the operations for a four in hand, as in Edward's instruction... it works with long scarves)

While my brother seems to love the "german" method, don't know why
(except the fact that he, as many italians, is fascinated with all the things related with german traditions... but I don't think it's for that, they're simply two ways to wear a scarf).

In the streets, I'd say to preferred method here is to simply loop the scarf around the neck one or two times, followed by the "german" method, and then the "ascot" one.

BTW:
Very nice jacket! Compliments for your style! :)

My wife was showing me another way too wear one. You sort of put it on backwards and flip it around your neck so that it's tailing on both left and right down your chest it's super warm. I saw a lot of guys and gals in Paris wearing their scarves this way too. Frankly I just like the way Europeans wear scarves and they look damn good with just about any style leather jacket too. I have been wearing those Scottish tartan scarves from Aero for years with my bike jackets (when I'm not riding) and they look great.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
bobjones said:
Hey OTH, great looking jacket. A few questions:

1-is that the russet-brown FQHH? It looks darker than what is on the LW site.

2-what size is the jacket/what is your normal suit size and measurements?

3-outside of cost, was there a reason you chose this Downtown style over their regular downtown?

4-do you have an Aero FQHH jacket? If so, how does its hide compare in stiffness?

The jacket fits quite well, I must say.

Thanks Bob I really dig it.

The Russet Brown may be a tad darker but it's probably the photo. The coats a size 44 which is what I always wear. I would say that the halfbelt on back just really did it for me. I have owned quite a few Aero and LW jackets both are great jackets and I respect the quality and craftsmanship of both companies. I would certainly add that both have their own brand of unique charateristics.

Javelina

New in Town
That limited edition Downtown is great looking coat. I've been lurking on this site for a while but this is my first post. I decided to get user name because I'm facing a decision.

I have a Highwayman that's too small and I'm planning to sell it. In it's place, I was thinking of getting a Cheyenne or possibly a Stockman. This Downtown design is different and unique so now it's also in the running.

Questions:
There appears to be a difference in the horsehide from Aero and Lost Worlds. The Aero HH seems more waxy and shiny, more prone to fading in places. The drape of the LW seems more natural, the Aero seems stiffer. This is all from photos as I haven't seen a LW in person. Can anyone comment on the differences between the HH from the 2 makers?

Also, this russet horse hide seems darker than Aero's brown. I prefer darker. Is this just the photos in Paris or is the LW really darker?

The construction of my Aero can't be faulted - how about Lost World's product?

There is a great convenience of having LW here in the US (and in my case, in town). It will take 3 weeks for a Downtown to arrive vs. probably 3 months for an Aero. Plus, returns at LW are more convenient. I realize people don't like the owner's political views but I'm just interested in quality jackets.

Thanks.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Thanks to this thread I went out and bought a bag of Andy Capp's Hot Fries. Haven't eaten those things since I was a high schooler and they sold them in the school cafeteria. lol

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Javelina said:
That limited edition Downtown is great looking coat. I've been lurking on this site for a while but this is my first post. I decided to get user name because I'm facing a decision.

I have a Highwayman that's too small and I'm planning to sell it. In it's place, I was thinking of getting a Cheyenne or possibly a Stockman. This Downtown design is different and unique so now it's also in the running.

Questions:
There appears to be a difference in the horsehide from Aero and Lost Worlds. The Aero HH seems more waxy and shiny, more prone to fading in places. The drape of the LW seems more natural, the Aero seems stiffer. This is all from photos as I haven't seen a LW in person. Can anyone comment on the differences between the HH from the 2 makers?

Also, this russet horse hide seems darker than Aero's brown. I prefer darker. Is this just the photos in Paris or is the LW really darker?

There is a great convenience of having LW here in the US (and in my case, in town). It will take 3 weeks for a Downtown to arrive vs. probably 3 months for an Aero. Plus, returns at LW are more convenient. I realize people don't like the owner's political views but I'm just interested in quality jackets.

Thanks.

You may want to post your questions in a new thread to get more answers. I'll weigh-in but there are several members that may have more specific info. I'm sure some of this is covered on older threads so a little searching may also find more info.

I bought an Aero Cheyenne earlier this year. My original purchase was in standard Brown FQHH but because of a few issues I returned it and ended up with the same coat but in Vintage Brown FQHH. There is a significant difference in between those two leathers. The standard is much stiffer. The standard will eventually get broken in and the advantage of the standard is that the breaking will be more specific to the wearer compared to the vintage. That being said, I'm very, very happy with my vintage brown FQHH - comfortable and a nice drape right out of the box. Regarding the color, there can be a huge lot to lot variation. My first brown Cheyenne was very reddish-brown. I wanted something much darker and the available vintage brown was much darker so I went with that. Check out univibe88's new Aero Stockman - standard brown FQHH that's nice and dark. A great looking coat.

I have noticed that the Aero leather seems to get scuff marks and faded areas easily. As if the dye is only on the surface. I believe this is because of the tanning process that is used - from my understanding this is a older more traditional tanning technique. As I said there are a few members who will be much more knowledgeable about this.

To my eye, the LW leather looks more painted. It seems like the color is thicker on the leather and penetrates it more deeply. I haven't seen a LW with wear on it so I don't know what that means for the long run.

I'll post a few new photos of my Cheyenne in the original thread so that you can see how its breaking in.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Javelina said:

Questions:

Thanks.

Hey Man:

The shots below are pretty close to color. I have owned a Cheyenne and it's a great jacket but to me the collar only looks good when it's up. This jacket's collar holds it's shape because the Horsehide is so thick. On the thickness note be aware that the leather requires serious breaking in. So wear it in the rain and everywhere you go for awhile and you will see a difference in the grain.

The quality issue is way too subjective for me to comment on. Both companies are the best custom made jackets in the world in my opinion but both have there own unique characteristics. I like em both and have a hard time saying anything negative about either other than personal taste.

Sorry for all the tourist shots but I wore the crap out of this jacket trying to break it in..It's beginning to get there now.

1261-A.jpg

1259-A.jpg

466.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner