Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds G-1 Review/experience

dopey

One of the Regulars
Thank you! I e-mailed LW also and he got back to me with this:

Measurements: Shoulder: Body Length: Sleeve Length: Armpit"

38R 19" 24.5" *24.0" 21"

40R 20" 25.0 *24.5 22

*excludes 3" wool cuff.
I have no idea how he is measuring, which is why the photos with the tape measure are useful. Good luck. I really like mine so hope you find one.

Colin G

One Too Many
I have no idea how he is measuring, which is why the photos with the tape measure are useful. Good luck. I really like mine so hope you find one.

Shoulder would be measured from seam to seam so where the sleeve is attached which is 19" according to LW. Looks like yours is around 18". I think you are measuring from seam to seam of the bi-swing back and not the shoulder seam where the sleeve gets attached to the body hence the 17" measurement you supplied, which would be kind of small for a 38".

I assume he measured pit to pit in the same way. Seam to seam but not the underarm gussets.

I'd be buying a new one right from LW so finding one won't be a problem.

Peacoat

Bartender
P2P should be the same whether measured from the rear or the front. Measuring from the front is the industry standard.

Please don't measure seam to seam on the p2p. The question immediately arises: Which seam should I measure from?

To properly measure the p2p, place the jacket face up on a flat surface such as a bed. Stretch it tightly from side to side and pull the same amount of material evenly from the front and the back. Do not be concerned about any seams--disregard the seams. We want the amount of material stretched in the back to be the same as the amount stretched in the front. Then let the fabric relax and take the measurement. It should be a whole number and a fraction--such as 19.25 inches. Do not round off; we want the entire number. Try to be accurate to 1/8 of an inch.

Colin G

One Too Many
LW says the pit to pit measurements include the underarm gusset. I think a 38 will be too tight at 21" pit to pit and the 40 would be way too big in the shoulders at 20" and too long in the body. Kind of a bummer since I really want one of these but I guess it is not meant to be.

I may have to try a Buzz Rickson instead while I am in Japan.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LW says the pit to pit measurements include the underarm gusset. I think a 38 will be too tight at 21" pit to pit and the 40 would be way too big in the shoulders at 20" and too long in the body. Kind of a bummer since I really want one of these but I guess it is not meant to be.

Call him and explain your needs, he will get you sorted

dopey

One of the Regulars

I can't believe the shoulder width will be too big for you (and I measured 18"). But I would most definitely ask LW to shorten the body for you if that is a concern, at least the front if that is possible.
It is really a great jacket.

Colin G

One Too Many
I can't believe the shoulder width will be too big for you (and I measured 18"). But I would most definitely ask LW to shorten the body for you if that is a concern, at least the front if that is possible.
It is really a great jacket.

18" on a size 38 would fit nicely but pit to pit may be too tight at 21". A 20" wide shoulder on the 40 would be too large and body would be too long. I have always had trouble fitting a LW and I think they size their jackets a bit strange.

I may try and buy a 38 and if it does not work, see if they will take it back and I'll get a custom one made with a wider pit to pit measurement at 22". Every other measurement on the 38 works for me except the chest.

Colin G

One Too Many
I heard back from Lost Worlds and they say they won't do a bespoke jackets. On their ordering page it does mention custom so who knows. I guess I can't get one with a larger pit to pit.

At least I can buy a 38 and return it if it does not fit so all is not lost.

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I heard back from Lost Worlds and they say they won't do a bespoke jackets. On their ordering page it does mention custom so who knows. I guess I can't get one with a larger pit to pit.

At least I can buy a 38 and return it if it does not fit so all is not lost.

My size 42 has 22" ptp without gussets and it fits larger than any 23" ptp jacket I own and ridicously large compared to other 22" ptp jackets I own. Gussets and action back do a lot of work.

Colin G

One Too Many
My size 42 has 22" ptp without gussets and it fits larger than any 23" ptp jacket I own and ridicously large compared to other 22" ptp jackets I own. Gussets and action back do a lot of work.

Thanks for the info. I think I should be OK with a 38 but did not want to get stuck with it if it does not fit so LW will take it back.
I had a Thedi with an exact 21" P to P and it was pretty snug so I sold it off. No gusseting or bi-swing on it either so it was a bit of work to get the jacket on and off.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I have had both an ELC & LW G-1.. ( still have the LW ) Eastman was the nicer jacket by far.. it just feels better in the hand and while on, plus the Eastman collar is also much better in both appearance and feel.. that said the LW is a great jacket.

I fully concur with you. Judging only on the objective and not the subjective points, the top G-1's (for authenticity) in weight, build, materials, and detailing are split between Eastman and Buzz Rickson's. There are some very talented smaller and solo operations making very commendable efforts, but one thing these smaller concerns can never do on limited budgets is produce custom-made textiles to match what was employed in original production: the smaller concerns all use readily available yard goods that look close enough for their needs and, at best, find some that can be dyed in small lots, often on their stove tops using supermarket dyes.

There is nothing wrong with having personal preferences for heavier coats, knits, specific colors and shades, etc., just as some like the 7823 spec. over the 55-J-14, but that is all the subjective and not the objective. Anyone who intimately knows a vintage G-1 in the various specs. should reasonably be able to conclude, when evaluating the totality of the jacket and making comparative studies of current copies, who is making the most accurate. This does not mean any maker's G-1's are perfect copies, because none are perfect, just that some get the job done the best in the total vision.

I'd agree that every Lost Worlds coat I ever handled was a tank of a jacket, but not authentic and not something I'd want to wear based on weight and overall look. The Eastman M-422A's and G-1's from 1995 and the following few years were just amazing in authentic appearance (worn hard for a few months and they were viewed as original), but they, too, suffered from a vegetable-tanned goatskin that was just too heavy and I gave one to my girlfriend at that time and sold the other.

My subjective taste is to own and wear jackets that match what it is they are supposed to be a copy of in a way that makes them the overall most authentic, though it is not done for only the sake of authenticity, but because it is the original item that made history and which I first wore as a kid. There was a real reason these jackets did not weight 5 pounds or more, naming but one area that is often perceived as making one leather coat better than another. Let's face it, unless being dragged across the asphalt, a lighter-weight vintage G-1 is not going to be outlasted by one that is made from 3.5-ounce leather when doing what most of us do when wearing these coats, and even if being dragged across the highway, at what speed of impact and drag will the leather keep your bones from snapping and limbs from being severed?

HPA Rep

Vendor
This thread is about the Lost Worlds G-1 not an exact replica.

The subject says it is a review, so is not authenticity part of that which should be discussed about a brand touted by the brand owner on his website as the best? Such posts have already been made vis-a-vis exacting detail by no less than a few members in this post, so is there a particular reason why such attendant observations and commentary by me are singled out?

And in your statement, you are indeed acknowledging this specific shortcoming of a Lost Worlds G-1: "This thread is about the Lost Worlds G-1 not an exact replica." Seems a very appropriate conversation to me, but maybe the messenger is not favored, eh?

Colin G

One Too Many
If you own a LW G-1 or have owned one then sure, offer your personal review but it seems you're always trying to sell your product in other people's threads.

Tiger2001

New in Town
Hi all. I'm new the FL forum so please forgive any rookie mistakes. Just to chime in, I have purchased three LW items directly from them in the past few years. Specifically their version of the Willis and Geiger bush jacket (was once called "The Australian" by WG). It is khaki and made of their bush poplin. The other two were the same model but one made from green quarpel fabric and the other from "cashmere" (in navy blue). I say that in quotes because it feels more like camel hair to me. Fine but not as fine as cashmere (or at least the cashmere I have owned). It was also very expensive. All the garments are well made and fit me perfectly. I can attest to their craftsmanship and products. Although I must admit the proprietor (I forgot his name) got his nose out of joint when I questioned the softness (or lack of) re the cashmere. For nearly 1k in cost, I didn't find unreasonable to ask about the finished product. So anyway, I have never purchased a leather jacket from them and doubt I will do so. But I can speak to their bush jackets. Overall better than the originals, especially the Lands End versions after they took over WG.

HPA Rep

Vendor
If you own a LW G-1 or have owned one then sure, offer your personal review but it seems you're always trying to sell your product in other people's threads.

So one must own or have owned a LW G-1 to comment on this thread and you and all others who are commenting on this thread fall into this category, right? And you are appointed to police everyone, too, right?

Please do show me where I am "always trying to sell my product," outside of my own page. It is my understanding I am welcome to comment freely here on subjects I can meaningfully contribute to. You seem to not be able to separate advertising from observation based on fact. Clearly, you are suggesting I cannot hold unbiased opinions and views and knowledge about anything related to flying jackets; this is wholly not supported by my publications here or who I am. Your logic follows that of those who would say a senior car mechanic for a specific top-tier brand cannot be an expert on car reliability among other top-tier brands, in general, because of his association to a specific brand.

Rather than supposing I tout the items my company offers as the most authentic because we offer them, could it not be the other way around? It is not as if I was stuck with a bunch of brands I must endorse no matter what, you do realize. I have chosen associations with specific brands and carry specific items (but not all by these brands) because of my deep knowledge and understanding of the respective vintage items they represent and the highest degree of favor to which they then compare.

I know well what I know and what I do not know, and what I do know I know extremely well. It is my utmost belief that said items and brands we offer reflect the overall very best of what is available. Yet, because of aligning myself with the best and possessing attendant knowledge to accurately make such a determination, that somehow disqualifies me from commenting on reviews and comparisons on others, rather than making me among the most capable, right? That is exactly what I am seeing from you and it is a false starter.

Last edited:

Hh121

Banned
I remembered Stuart used to be very reluctantly to reveal the measurements of his jacket, he always said the number doesn't shows everything. So just ask him which size he recommend, except few model which seems always on the larger side.
I had two Suburban on size 42 and 44, they share almost exactly same measurements on pit to pit and shoulder, while both size fits alright in the front, size 44 has much baggy back than 42.

El Marro

I remembered Stuart used to be very reluctantly to reveal the measurements of his jacket, he always said the number doesn't shows everything.
That was my experience as well when I ordered my CHP. I asked Stuart about the numbers on a size 46 and he replied that the numbers weren’t particularly relevant because every pattern and jacket is constructed differently. I understand his point but I also think that I have bought enough jackets by now that I have a pretty good idea what numbers work for me across-the-board. In the end I must say he was absolutely right a size 46 was what I needed.

red devil

I fully concur with you. Judging only on the objective and not the subjective points, the top G-1's (for authenticity) in weight, build, materials, and detailing are split between Eastman and Buzz Rickson's. There are some very talented smaller and solo operations making very commendable efforts, but one thing these smaller concerns can never do on limited budgets is produce custom-made textiles to match what was employed in original production: the smaller concerns all use readily available yard goods that look close enough for their needs and, at best, find some that can be dyed in small lots, often on their stove tops using supermarket dyes.

There is nothing wrong with having personal preferences for heavier coats, knits, specific colors and shades, etc., just as some like the 7823 spec. over the 55-J-14, but that is all the subjective and not the objective. Anyone who intimately knows a vintage G-1 in the various specs. should reasonably be able to conclude, when evaluating the totality of the jacket and making comparative studies of current copies, who is making the most accurate. This does not mean any maker's G-1's are perfect copies, because none are perfect, just that some get the job done the best in the total vision.

I'd agree that every Lost Worlds coat I ever handled was a tank of a jacket, but not authentic and not something I'd want to wear based on weight and overall look. The Eastman M-422A's and G-1's from 1995 and the following few years were just amazing in authentic appearance (worn hard for a few months and they were viewed as original), but they, too, suffered from a vegetable-tanned goatskin that was just too heavy and I gave one to my girlfriend at that time and sold the other.

My subjective taste is to own and wear jackets that match what it is they are supposed to be a copy of in a way that makes them the overall most authentic, though it is not done for only the sake of authenticity, but because it is the original item that made history and which I first wore as a kid. There was a real reason these jackets did not weight 5 pounds or more, naming but one area that is often perceived as making one leather coat better than another. Let's face it, unless being dragged across the asphalt, a lighter-weight vintage G-1 is not going to be outlasted by one that is made from 3.5-ounce leather when doing what most of us do when wearing these coats, and even if being dragged across the highway, at what speed of impact and drag will the leather keep your bones from snapping and limbs from being severed?

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I were to recap your message in a few sentences, it would look like this:

- You concur with @Boyo that the ELC jacket is much better
- Nothing is as authentic as ELC or Buzz Rickson in terms of the G1
- LW jackets are built like tanks
- This robust construction is useless because that type of jacket doesn't need it and in any case how far is it going to protect you from heavy impacts?

Did I get your message correctly?

Colin G

One Too Many
HPA, I have no problem with your reviews about your products and find them quite informative. I read your posts about the Buzz Rickson G-1 since that is on my radar also. I will check one out in Japan when I go in a few weeks and if I like it, maybe I'll buy it. But that is for another thread, not this one.

I also never mentioned you touting this and that about originality of your products since I don't really care. I care about learning about the LW G-1, which is what this thread is about.

I said what I said and that is all I am going to type on the matter since I don't want to detract from this thread. I am not taking the bait. Sorry.

I'll revert to keeping this on track. The LW G-1 sure is a beauty.

G-1030207-4-W.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot