Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds G-1 Review/experience

dopey

One of the Regulars
Hi, all:
I thought I would report on my recent experience with a Lost Worlds G-1 in case anyone is interested. I have had mine for about a month, and it was purchased second hand though had never been worn as far as I could tell. Some basic thoughts ---
1. Authenticity: No idea. It has a Dubow contract label and to my untrained eye looks pretty much on spec, though this is not something I care much about and am not an expert. One thing to note, there is no USN stencil on the back of the collar or punched on the windflap, which is a feature I see a lot. I don't care that it is not there and might prefer it.
2. Collar: Fur-like mouton, not curly.
3. Leather: pretty stiff, solid goatskin (as far as I can tell)
4. Fit: Trim fit as it should be. I bought my general chest size. My only complaint is that it is a bit long. Sleeves are fine but the front length is long for me; the back is more or less o.k., and that is a function of the design which has the stiff leather in the front run to the bottom where the knit is. It makes sense from an engineering standpoint, but it wears long for me there. I am borderline needing a short, so this may not be an issue for most.
5. Quality: generally rock solid. If I have any complaint is that the buttons could be attached a little better. I broke the threads on one trying to button the collar outside in the cold and pulling really hard - it was the wrong button, so some user error, but it still should not have happened. Also, and I will never explain this correctly, the button threads on the collar are actually connected from button to button.

Experience: Let me start by saying that I absolutely love it. Since getting it, I have worn it about every chance I get. In trying to break it in, I even wore it around the house and while napping. Visually, this has had no effect, as the jacket still looks new though the leather is somewhat quieter. A G-1 is simply a great looking, flattering jacket if you can wear one and almost as easy to wear as the A-2. The shoulder gussets in the back and armpits work as they should and the jacket fits trim but is extremely mobile. Since I am not a stickler for authenticity, I wish there was a second interior pocket (there is one interior pocket). The outside pockets are pretty flat and lined with heavy cotton drill (as they should be) so don't expect much give, but I can stuff a pair of gloves in if I don't care about closing it.

In short - I am very happy with this, though am also looking forward to it softening up a bit. I fear this will have a new-jacket look for quite a while.

no pics, but you don't need any. You can go to the Lost Worlds site and see it there. Mine looks like it does on the website.

Happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:

Hh121

Banned
Thanks for the input, those words certainly helps my visualization of your beautiful jacket.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I too have a LW G-1 I picked up second hand but basically unworn. Pretty much agree with everything said by the OP. When I got the jacket I was particularly impressed with the hide, it is the thickest of all my goatskin jackets yet not overly stiff.
Good luck breaking this thing in by the way, I have a feeling it will look brand new for many years to come!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
No - fit photos are critical. If you post fit shots together with your height and weight, we all have an opportunity to assess these jackets patterns and cut in a way a website shot never can.

Probably one of those jackets that doesn't differ from the website photos all that much, but yes, fit pics are always welcome. For a multitude of reasons-sizing reference, eye candy, and just to get friendly with the Lounge.

but I understand not wanting to post them just the same.

Colin G

One Too Many
The LW G-1 has been on my short list for a while but LW does not list measurements nor are they very keen to supply them so I have never pulled the trigger. I don't want to deal with shipping back a jacket for a size exchange since doing that from Canada gets very expensive since I can't claim back my taxes paid so I'd end up paying taxes twice on the same purchase. CBSA are a real bunch of bastards to deal with when wanting to claim cash back on an international return. Short of giving urine and DNA samples it is quite the process and I've been denied every time even though I had proof.

The two LW jackets I owned were both bigger than what the tag listed so I am leery of buying one new again. If anyone can supply measurements on a size 38 and 40 that would be great.

It is a great looking jacket.

El Marro

The LW G-1 has been on my short list for a while but LW does not list measurements nor are they very keen to supply them so I have never pulled the trigger. I don't want to deal with shipping back a jacket for a size exchange since doing that from Canada gets very expensive since I can't claim back my taxes paid so I'd end up paying taxes twice on the same purchase. CBSA are a real bunch of bastards to deal with when wanting to claim cash back on an international return. Short of giving urine and DNA samples it is quite the process and I've been denied every time even though I had proof.

The two LW jackets I owned were both bigger than what the tag listed so I am leery of buying one new again. If anyone can supply measurements on a size 38 and 40 that would be great.

Colin,
To be honest I would suggest you look elsewhere for a G-1 if you are buying new. If I were paying full price I would much rather have an Eastman for instance.
Don’t get me wrong, the LW is a very well-made jacket and I am a big fan of their work in general. I just feel that they are much better at making motorcycle and civilian style jackets.

dopey

One of the Regulars

I am sorry, but I was not able to find the original measurements from the seller. Mine is a size 40 and my actual chest measurement is 39" The jacket fits closely but is not restrictive because of the shoulder blade and armpit gussets. So I would say true-to-size if you are reasonably lean. If you are carrying weight, I think you would need to size up.
Also, if you want to regularly wear a heavy sweater underneath. I am o.k. with a shetland, but not anything chunkier.

Colin,
To be honest I would suggest you look elsewhere for a G-1 if you are buying new. If I were paying full price I would much rather have an Eastman for instance.
Don’t get me wrong, the LW is a very well-made jacket and I am a big fan of their work in general. I just feel that they are much better at making motorcycle and civilian style jackets.
I can't really compare with other makers nor do I know the relative price points, but this is a really solidly made jacket. I am curious why you think an Eastman would be better.

El Marro

I can't really compare with other makers nor do I know the relative price points, but this is a really solidly made jacket. I am curious why you think an Eastman would be better.
dopey,
My thoughts here are purely subjective and in no ways meant to cast any aspersions on the LW G-1. I agree with you that it is very well-made and will probably outlast me And perhaps it’s next owner as well.
I like the hides and the mouton Eastman uses on their G-1 more than those used by LW (Although I think the LW hide is probably more durable). I also think that the subtle aging process Eastman performs on their jackets makes them look great right out of the box. Finally the length of the Eastman is a little more in keeping with a classic G-1, not as long as the LW. All of these opinions are based on very limited experience with jackets from both makers.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I have had both an ELC & LW G-1.. ( still have the LW ) Eastman was the nicer jacket by far.. it just feels better in the hand and while on, plus the Eastman collar is also much better in both appearance and feel.. that said the LW is a great jacket.

Eastman:
G-1%20ELC%202019.png

LW

G-1-8.jpg

Original
G-1VMF-323-10.jpg

Last edited:

dopey

One of the Regulars
dopey,
My thoughts here are purely subjective and in no ways meant to cast any aspersions on the LW G-1. I agree with you that it is very well-made and will probably outlast me And perhaps it’s next owner as well.
I like the hides and the mouton Eastman uses on their G-1 more than those used by LW (Although I think the LW hide is probably more durable). I also think that the subtle aging process Eastman performs on their jackets makes them look great right out of the box. Finally the length of the Eastman is a little more in keeping with a classic G-1, not as long as the LW. All of these opinions are based on very limited experience with jackets from both makers.
Thanks. Obviously, I don't take your criticism of LW personally - I am not my jacket.
I prefer a tougher hide and no pre-aging, though that is purely subjective. I am sure I would prefer a nicer mouton collar, though the LW is plenty nice and i guess i don't know what I am missing. But boy would I prefer it if mine was a little shorter. Based on your comments, if I were starting over, I would either try to do a custom LW an inch or two shorter than normal or get an Eastman without the weathering.

Deacon211

One Too Many
My Eastman is one of my best fitting and best looking jackets.

Having said that, the leather on my ELC G-1 is singularly different than any other goat that I’ve seen from Cockpit to Goodwear. It’s thinner, but stiffer, so that it crinkles more than folds. Pretty early on the jacket developed scuffing along the zipper track and backside of the wind flap and surface cracks on one of the pockets. Continued wear has had the rest of the leather “catch up” to some extent, so it looks more appropriate now.

The knits are also quite thin. I feel the need to treat them with more care than other, thicker-knitted jackets and I still have had to sew up a few holes now and again.

Still, I’ve had the jacket for about eight years now and she has a lot of life left in her. I don’t know if ELC’s interpretation is any more accurate than others, but I have seen a few originals that also have that crinkly appearance. So there’s that.

fe34d37064e484f49f94d759b2781f18.jpg
0234906fd05770da3f03147bf27ef907.jpg
51449cb0d1fbefc8edbe058572816ad5.jpg
2e0d1ca220404e4ab850a3d192e46c91.jpg
134ce5a588fac0bd77bec4f267b1fea3.jpg

I’ve also been tempted to pick up a LW and would appreciate any fit pics or close ups that the OP might care to share. Online pics are pretty few and far between of the LW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB