Lost Worlds Grizzly Jacket Review

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by RL204, Jan 26, 2021.

1. RL204

RL204 Familiar Face

Hello readers,

I have never done a review. I just acquired this never worn 2nd hand lost worlds grizzly and thought I’d share.

From the lost worlds site:
    Mouton/Horsehide combination.

To go with the Black Horsehide we use genuine NOS Vintage Mouton from the 1940s-50s. Brass Talon Zipper, Brass Buckles, 100% Heavyweight Black Cotton Duck Lining.

The Mutton Is amazingly soft and thick. We’ll see how it wears over time.

The leather is thick, pretty standard of lost worlds from what I’ve read. The sleeves move well but are a little larger in diameter than I’d ideally like but look fine to me. The wrist openings are large too but for a jacket that I’d never wear on the bike this is fine, allows for my watch to easily fit and gloves to easily slide into the wrist holes.

The lining seems very robust. I Don’t see that wearing out anytime soon. Has an inside pocket which is a feature I love and use a lot.

Stitching looks tight and straight. I’m not a huge stitching critic but it all looks pretty damn good to me.

I like the fit. I am 6’2” 42” chest, 200lbs. In the pics below I only have a t-shirt on, lots of room for a thick sweater. The sleeves are a smidge too short (May gain 1/4” or so once the shoulders relax). In an ideal world I would make the bicep area of the sleeves a little smaller (again this might get better once the sleeves break in, maybe). This grizzly is labeled a size 44. Here are some jacket measurements:
    Chest 22.75
    Shoulder 19.25
    Sleeve 25.5
    Length 25

Feel free to share any questions or comments. Enough talk for now here are some pics.

6588124A-8EED-4A69-AA4A-7AF5E5D49537.jpeg

15050EC2-515D-4E93-A39D-DE1B2D0C6438.jpeg

5B684815-E355-42D7-96A2-0AE44D025CD4.jpeg

6F50BDF2-EC10-48B7-88C4-5F3CA9DDAB22.jpeg

E4848CD3-63BE-44CC-B5EA-6B1895181E51.jpeg

73D6999B-E118-4CE4-A637-9A31FC3E8B99.jpeg

E58A2B04-83D3-4458-9A1C-7551A47422F5.jpeg

34201D21-2DD4-48DF-8EC5-14C1E249931D.jpeg

8CA25B78-901A-4A95-A92D-6B28D5D780AA.jpeg

*shirt tucked in for forum approval ;)

Attached Files:

2. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

What a great fit! The construction is so well done. That's not a piece anyone will look great in with but you carry that so well. Congratulations!

RL204 likes this.
  3. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Very nice review and jacket! Looks great on you there as well. I like these "unusual" patterns such as a grizzly as it's just enoug out of the ordinary that you don't see them every day. Even on Fedora Lounge. Should last you a good long time.

RL204 likes this.
  4. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

Great fit .. Enjoy !!

RL204 likes this.
  5. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

Great fit and great pics! Congrats.

6. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

That looks great!
    I always thought the LW grizzly looked a bit shapeless on the website pictures, but worn it really looks good.
    Really nice.

edit: dibs if you ever sell it!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  7. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

You look good in it. I like the shade of the fur.

In my opinion it looks also fairly understated compared to other styles of jackets.

8. Edward

Edward Bartender

To my eye, the secret to this one is the length of the mouton. A grizzly can look a bit odd if the fur is too 'long' - a bit like how a lot of the old ALC Irvins used to look overdone and teddy-bearish. This is a nice pattern.

9. Vezio

Vezio Familiar Face

Congrat, this is a perfect fit jacket. Very nice winter coat.

10. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

Wow! You pull it off so well! Really impressive from every single angle! :D

I would suggest sending these pics to LW if that is something you're ok with.

11. RL204

RL204 Familiar Face

Thanks for all the comments. I am pleasantly surprised by this jacket. I thought this grizzly was going to be more “out there” if you know what I mean and may have been a catch and release purchase. To me this jacket is subtle and does not stand out too much. Just a clean jacket with a unique style that you don’t see very often. I have only worn it for a total of about 3 hours. I will log in some more hours and post update pics as to how it’s breaking in and my thoughts on wearing a grizzly more regularly.

AeroFan_07 likes this.
  12. think_zot

think_zot One of the Regulars

Fits like a glove dude, nice. Now how about a review of that Lewis with the painted sleeves? :)

RL204 likes this.
  13. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Wait did you buyt this one from @think_zot ?
    Can't believe i missed that one... I need to convince my girlfriend to sleep in shifts so that one of us can always be up checking the classifieds...

14. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

Nothing not to like here.. looks and fits perfect!.. Great pictures too.

*Makes me regret not grabbing the size 48 that was on ebay a few weeks ago

15. RL204

RL204 Familiar Face

Thanks. This can be arranged. My wife snapped a bunch of pics of me with different jackets on at her studio and the Lewis was one of them.

16. dubpynchon

dubpynchon Practically Family

That looks great. You’ll get used to the sleeve length, some people prefer them a bit shorter, although I prefer mine a wee bit longer. Obviously people outside this forum think they’re perfectly normal :rolleyes:

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  17. jonbuilder

jonbuilder Call Me a Cab

overall the jacket looks good on you. I would want more sleeve length and I am not a fan of overly long sleeves. The important thing is you wear the grizzly, well as mentioned not just anyone can

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  18. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

Very good fit on that jacket