Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds J-23 Review/Evo

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I spray the whole jacket front, back and sleeves before putting it on, give it a rub, put it on, give the sleeves and shoulders an extra spray and off i go.
I have done that with all my jackets, including my veg tanned ones and have never experienced any problems.
This is what Eastman do to their jackets to set the sleeve creases before sending them out, and they use veg tan leather. (at least that's what they used to do back when i bought my Californian.)

Just to be safe, i don't actually believe that, i was just giving you a Lost World website answer...

Thanks for clarifying that. I never understood the whole "don't get water on veg tan leather" thing as in my experience, it only made the leather better. Glad to hear this is your experience as well. I feel like I should try this on my brown mulholland when it gets here.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If there was a lesson I was taught here, it is to use the jackets, whether in the rain, sun, travelling, etc. :)

Also @Carlos840 and @JMax , you were both dry under the jacket weren't you?

I remember going on a ride with someone telling me that leather jackets are not great for motorbikes (he had some fabric jacket). It rained suring the whole 2 hours we were out, I was dry when I came back, he had a completely wet sleeve, the right one if I remember correctly :D

This is not to say that leather is waterproof, just a funny thing to happen after what he had said lol

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
If there was a lesson I was taught here, it is to use the jackets, whether in the rain, sun, travelling, etc. :)

I remember going on a ride with someone telling me that leather jackets are not great for motorbikes (he had some fabric jacket). It rained suring the whole 2 hours we were out, I was dry when I came back, he had a completely wet sleeve, the right one if I remember correctly :D

This is not to say that leather is waterproof, just a funny thing to happen after what he had said lol

Yep i was conpletely dry. I could feel that the jacket was humid and was heavier from water, and when i put it on in the morning it was very humid, but the water never made it all the way through to the lining. I was always dry and warm. The only thing i did get is a little bit of water funelling down my neck, but it was very very minimal considering how much it was raining!
My girlfriend on the other hand, who had been going on about how her Barbour was the best of British anti rain technology was soaked through in a couple of hours, not a single seam was waterproof, and the back actually soaked through the waxed canvas...

Pro tip, if you want to break in a jacket quick, go on holydays to Wales, it's lovely, and it rains all the time, just make sure your missus also brings a real waterproof jacket! (this picture was taken during the only 20 minutes without rain....)

ubgl4zi.jpg

Last edited:

Totally dry. And comfortable. The soaked leather did not make me feel cold like on some other jackets.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
I've bought textile and horsehide Lost Worlds jackets (Ryder, J23, and an old Japan version of the Speed Demon for my girlfriend) and my only real gripe with them is waist circumference. All in all, Stuart's motorcycle jackets are among the best jackets ever made, but they seem not to be meant for athletic bodies. This made sense in the 1940s, when most people had less muscle mass than today, and it makes sense on the Japanese market, where people have longer torsos. One needs to have a relatively narrow chest or a bit of a belly for the J23 to fit snug around the waist while having freedom of movement in the shoulders; for a V-shaped torso it needs to be altered. Just fastening the belt on a tapered torso results in a muffin-top look as the jacket bulks up above the belt.
I have yet to order a custom "Short" size from Stuart to see whether that results in a better chest to waist ratio. I'll do that with a textile jacket first so it doesn't hurt my wallet too much if it doesn't work out.

As for jackets being heavy on the neck, cross-zipped motorcycle jackets are meant to be worn zipped up and sit on the hips, freeing up the chest and neck a bit. Hence many of these jackets when unzipped will tilt forward with the neck being in place of a fulcrum, hence a bit of pressure is applied to the back of the neck. The J23 seems to avoid this by having a bit more room at the back of the neck than certain others.
A disadvantage is that more air gets in at the back of the neck when it _is_ zipped up and the fur collar is not applied.

As for lining, I think Stuart offers various options including cotton and wool. I agree that textile is generally much better than nylon.

Xavier WT

New in Town
Hey mate @Carlos840 . I read through your review and this jacket seems pretty great. What does it looks like by now? Do you still own it, and do you still like it?

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hey mate @Carlos840 . I read through your review and this jacket seems pretty great. What does it looks like by now? Do you still own it, and do you still like it?

Hey Xavier,
I still have it,still like it, still wear it. It looks the same, i little bit more grain but no massive change.
Saying that, i don't wear it daily either, i have so many jackets in the rotation that it doesn't get as much wear as it would if it belonged to someone who wore it daily.
I'll try to take a few shots next week.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@Xavier WT , if you are considering the J23 and are open to increasing your budget, I would highly recommend jumping to the J24 directly. It is quite likely you will want it once you wore the J23 for a while. Adding the studs and crystals retrospectively is not really an option as they are attached from under the lining.

Xavier WT

New in Town
@Xavier WT , if you are considering the J23 and are open to increasing your budget, I would highly recommend jumping to the J24 directly. It is quite likely you will want it once you wore the J23 for a while. Adding the studs and crystals retrospectively is not really an option as they are attached from under the lining.

Thank you for your input. However, I have no attraction to those features. I’m not actually buying a jacket in the short term either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112