Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lost worlds

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
While I was in Chattanooga last month, Wilbur was kind enough to show me more than a couple of his jackets. Although I was mostly interested in his Aeros, he showed me a LW motorcycle jacket that I recall was black buffalo and was most impressive and very well constructed. I recall the hide as thick but not overly stiff.

I think that Wilbur showed me the longer length jacket too, and based on what I saw saw, I could see no downside to LW's jackets. We did discuss that it took awhile to break in the button holes, although that would be true of any 4oz. leather.

tommygun

New in Town
Thinking about the rider jacket as well, i really dont ride anymore, cars keep me broke, however, should i get the horsehide for the cool factor, or would it just be too heavy duty for an everyday jacket. Thanks

jglf

A-List Customer
riskyb,

How does their cowhide compare to their horsehide in terms of thickness and finish?

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
I think there have been a couple of folks that ordered the Ryder in Goat which for LW is super thick and gorgeous. I have owned a Suburban in Cow and found it to be noisy there may be some kind of oil that could help but horse is best all around in my opinion.

riskyB

New in Town
I find the cowhide to be close in thickness to the horseside between the Easy Ryder and Buco Rider. I think the HH seems to be showing more grain but that might just be where I am in the breaking-in process. The cowhide starts off pretty uniform. I did try a warm hand wash and air dry (which I have done with several jackets) with the cowhide which brings out the grain more and also relaxes the leather a bit. Still very sturdy and moderately stiff, I think it will still stand by itself. The LW jackets seem like they can take more abrasion without showing it than some of my Aero's.

About the noise of the cowhide, I can't recall if it had it before the wash. I have had plenty of jackets, HH included, that are noisy and squeaky.

Following on oneterrifichog's comments, if I had a choice between cowhide and horsehide at similar prices I would go for the horse. I just like it better. I haven't yet tried LW goat. That might be pretty good too.

ultrark2004

Familiar Face
i own 2 lost worlds horsehide mc jackets, 2 langlitz custom made mc jackets, 1 legendary mc jackets & 1 schott mc jacket. nothing comes close to the quality of manufacturing & quality of stiching, leather etc of lw. as stated before their sizing is different than todays. legendary 44r schott 44r lw 46s.once i got the fit right am in heaven. lw charges 15 to 20% extra for non regular sizing and no refunds or exchanges on non regular sizing. don't buy anything of their sale page that says flamingo it's cheaper hide than regular lw. dealing with them is strictly professional but you'll love the quality of the product

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Anyone else find that their international shipping rates are ridiculous?

I paid $75 for a shipping to France and seeing the weight of the jacket it doesn't surprise me.

In August, I paid the exact same price when I shipped a jacket to California.

les_garten

One of the Regulars
@Tommygun

Don't know if you bought a LW yet, but I'll throw in my honest appraisal of my LW experience

Had 3 of them, still have 2.

I had a $2800 Custom Buco J24 with the Crystals, Crown Zips, the whole 9 yards.
Still Have a Dubow HH A-2
Still Have a Goat G-1

You either Love their stuff or hate it.

The HH Dubow A-2 has a strange Plasticky Finish that is very SQUEAKY. This Jacket will squeak from now till Armageddon IMO. The overly thick, very heavy, very full bodied HH will take a LONG time to break IN. You may not Live long enough, keep that in mind. Good for your kids and grandkidz though! Purists will argue about the Pocket Placement as being too wide and the label as typo'd. The stitching is first rate as is the construction of the Jacket. You'll either Love these quirks or Hate them. I'm keepin' this Jacket, I Love it.

The Goat Dubow G-1 I have is superbly constructed. Stitching is awesome. The Goat is what all Goat should aspire to be. Just thick enough, pebbly enough, and very supple. The mouton is very soft and durable for Mouton. The lining is well fitted, slick on and off and of a nice thick acetate. The Gun Pocket and my AirLite 10.8 oz Smith & Wesson snubbie w/LaserGrips are in Love with each other. This Jacket is maybe the most comfortable Jacket I have ever worn. I grab it a lot.

The Buco J24 custom. Well it had to go. It was just like LW's site says, pansies need not apply. It had even more of the Plaisticky, squeaky HH of the A-2, but more Plastic, More Squeak, and More Heavy. Jacket weighed about 10 #'s. I was convinced I needed to start breaking it in when I was 10 or 11 maybe. Starting in my 50's, ain't gonna happen. It was a beauty though. The things that bother people about LW jackets, this one had it all in spades. Construction, materials, stitching, AWESOME! In the end, it had to go. I was gonna have to bleed and need medical attention just to attempt to put a small hardly noticeable crease in it. And if you can't break it in, ya just look like Plastic man tryin' to wear it. If it was your only jacket, ya didn't have a job, you had like 40 hours a day to commit to breaking it in and 2 major medical plans, well ok then, go for it...

It's those LW quirks. You'll either really like them or really not like them. There's not a lot of in between with LW's stuff.

Now onto Stuart. He can fit the Jacket to you. Don't start asking questions like armpit to armpit measurements and stoopid stuff like that. It just pisses him off. If you ask these questions like this, he might figure out you're on a Jacket forum, and then God help ya. He'll probably refuse to sell to you, hang up on you and block your number. Actually I think God tried to get a Jacket from Stuart, but he asked too many questions, and well you know what happened there.

Stuart has a jacket chip in his brain. He asks a few questions and Bing, Bang, Boom, he knows what size you'll need.

So IMO the Lost Worlds stuff is an acquired taste. There's a lot of Love over here for them obviously. Strangely, there are other forums where it is the exact opposite. A lot of hate. That brings us to the you'll Love his Jackets or Hate them. The way he makes his stuff, there's not really much "meh" factor. It's either HELL YEAH!! or SCREW THIS!!

I've never had one of his "B" model sheepskin flying jackets, but a guy whose opinion I respect says Stuart's are the best there are.

So there ya have it. I think his jackets make great used jackets since a lot of guys can't hack the break in period and you can get one that is basically new, except the price. I bought 2 of mine this way.

You also might want to look at some PIX on the web to see what happens to his Russet HH when it is worn some. The russet rubs off and leaves Black behind. That one is kinda strange. I don't know if they still do that or not. I would consider that a not so kewl feature.

Read his Marketing Hype on his webpage. It ain't hype. Try to listen to what he is saying and why he is saying it. Pretty much everything that anyone says about his jackets, he addresses in some fashion on his website in his own unique Stuart-esque manner.

His Leather is greatly different in character from everybody else's. Make sure that's what you want.

If you get one, come back here and tell us if you Love it ot Hate it. Then do it again in a year or so.

Here's PIX of the J24 Custom I sold.

Click on the PIX and then Click again for a lot of detail:

http://www.turbonet.biz/Ebay/LW/International.html

This is not a sale thread above. The jacket was sold a year ago. Modz please don't delete.

So that's my review and I LIKE his Jackets.

Last edited:

les_garten

One of the Regulars
Good honest review les
Dead on..knock down direct with no BS. Yep..hit the nail on the head.
HD

Hmmm, do I Love to Hate them...

or

Do I Hate to Love them...

Definitely, now I got it.

I Hate to Love them!

I see that Trojan on their website(and want it) and read Stu's ad text where he keeps calling me a big wussy, and wonder how does he know me so well!

So I'm gettin' a nice soft LangLitz Goatskin...

Well..at least then you can stroll around in front of the full length mirror prospecting for different angle photo shots for the forum...guilt free in your own skin. Well done! It's a good day..and better days ahead!..You big sissy! lol

thor

One Too Many
The breaking in of a LW (or any new leather jacxket) is half the fun. In a world full of demand for instant gratification, it's nice to do things the old-fashioned way...slow and steady with patience and, ultimately, the reward of a broken-in jacket that is molded to your specific shape, every crease and wrinkle and scratch and scar in the jacket uniquely yours. The journey is as important as the destination :)

Enjoy!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The breaking in of a LW (or any new leather jacxket) is half the fun. In a world full of demand for instant gratification, it's nice to do things the old-fashioned way...slow and steady with patience and, ultimately, the reward of a broken-in jacket that is molded to your specific shape, every crease and wrinkle and scratch and scar in the jacket uniquely yours. The journey is as important as the destination :)

Enjoy!

+1

tommygun

New in Town
Thanks Les, That was a great review. I have not bought one yet, just finishing break in on a D-pocket HH, i love but getting there. I feel i will be patient till i find exactly what i want. Thanks for a great review!

les_garten

One of the Regulars
Thanks Les, That was a great review. I have not bought one yet, just finishing break in on a D-pocket HH, i love but getting there. I feel i will be patient till i find exactly what i want. Thanks for a great review!

I would recommend if it's a LW to watch for a used one. It will be like a new one like I said. I bought 2 that way. Just take your time and figure it may take you a while to watch for it to come up and know what questions to ask up front.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I would recommend if it's a LW to watch for a used one. It will be like a new one like I said. I bought 2 that way. Just take your time and figure it may take you a while to watch for it to come up and know what questions to ask up front.

I've been looking for three years for a Lost World's Suburban jacket in a 44 or 46, haven't found one yet...:(

So be REALLY patient, could take a decade or more to find the LW jacket you want used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto