Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lost worlds

tommygun

New in Town
Hi all, so..was looking at lost worlds again, have not pulled the trigger on anything of there's as of yet. was wanting a general consensus from the fine folks here! I have 2 legendary USA (made by Schott) that i love, 4 Schott, that i love, mostly A-2 s and D- pocket cycle jackets. Will i notice a huge quality difference? Is it worth the extra dollars? Thanks in advance. Dan :)

Only one of them, and it's my sons. Excellent all around. I've got 4-5 Schotts myself, and they're great jackets. But LW is not in the same league. I find them right there with Aero, Good Wear.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I own (or used to own) everyone's jacket, from Schott to LW to Aero and Eastman. Schott is a nice, quality jacket. Lost Worlds is TOP notch. I'd rate Schott as an 8 out of 10 and LW would be a definite 10, IMHO.
Their horsehide is THE best, the quality of workmanship, zips, stitching, snaps, all exceptional!

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Lost Worlds construction is excellent. I have two of their jackets and they are indestructible. Their leather is quite heavy and stiff to start but softens up over time.

Noel

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
I have 3 of their jackets and they are a number 10, The sewing is excellent and the hides are the best available. The fit is exact though whether it is military, motorcycle or business jackets the jackets are not like the jackets today. So if you want a 44 expect it to give no room for a beer belly. Beer Belly would equal a 46.

Harlock

New in Town
I have 3 of their jackets and they are a number 10, The sewing is excellent and the hides are the best available. The fit is exact though whether it is military, motorcycle or business jackets the jackets are not like the jackets today. So if you want a 44 expect it to give no room for a beer belly. Beer Belly would equal a 46.

I'd stay away from Lost Worlds. Leather is so thick and plastic-like it's just not a wearable jacket. Look at the pictures of these jackets actually being worn (as opposed to the online catalog pictures) and you'll see what I mean. Vintage Schott's are jackets that you can actually wear. If you want an overpriced jacket to hang in the closet try Lost Worlds.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Here's a few shots of some of my Lost Worlds Jackets:

They ain't plastic but they are 4 oz Horse and Water Buffalo.....Uh they are water proof too..

Here's the latest Water Buffalo (My second in this hide, comfortable and warm)
021.jpg

Downtown in Russet Horsehide wear it in the rain, snow and all over Europe...Tough not Thin
596-1.jpg

Hmmmm Must be Snow!
045-1.jpg

The jacket was about a week old here breaking it in was such joy
115-1.jpg

It don't get no better than this! Period. "No way No how" Best Damn Jacket ever...
004.jpg

Over the last 10 years I have owned about Five LW jackets they all served me well. I never received any complaints about them when I sold them on Ebay either. In fact they all went "BIN" and at decent prices. So I am not the only one out there that doesn't have a problem with Stuart's Horsehide; hell I am sure he buys it from Horween like everybody else..

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I had a LW Ryder. Loved everything about it in regards to thickness & wearability, but sold it to fund an Aero. I do prefer the veg-tanned Aero hide to the LW chrome-tanned hide, but that is based on looks alone. The LW build, thickness, and wearability is as good as Aero any day of the week.

I'd stay away from Lost Worlds. Leather is so thick and plastic-like it's just not a wearable jacket. Look at the pictures of these jackets actually being worn (as opposed to the online catalog pictures) and you'll see what I mean. Vintage Schott's are jackets that you can actually wear. If you want an overpriced jacket to hang in the closet try Lost Worlds.
April fools late? Gimme a break. It's a different finish. But once broken in, looks terrific. I'll see if I can find my sons and take pics. Quality is tops.

tommygun

New in Town
Thanks guys! And gals, i feel a little stronger about getting one now. love the pics oneterrifichog! snow!!! yikes..now, deciding on what jacket, they all look awesome!

JLStorm

Practically Family
I don't have a LW, but one thing you may want to consider in price is whether or not you need custom sizing. If you can wear an off the shelf jacket, you can get Schott's for amazing prices. I like extremely heavy leather (5oz and up) so Schott isn't on the top of my list, but I have to say that one of my favorite knock-around bomber style jackes is a steerhide Schott from the 80s that I got for $50.00 on ebay two years ago. I have two custom Aero's and I love them, but I really need custom sizing for jackets to fit well. I've not been interested in LW, just due the the sheer amount of customization I tend to do and the price point for that with them. I've switched from Aero to Johnson Leather and I've not found a more welcoming company for totally one off custom jackets at a price that are only about 25% more than Schott.

Anyway, if you like how Schott's fit and money is a concern I'd see what you can get that is used, but if you want to make something that is totally your own, you may just want to give Johnson Leather once you get a price from LW just to see what the difference in price and custom options are.

Edward

Bartender
I have a Lost Worlds B3, and while it's not quite comparing like for like (none of my Aero jackets are shearling, but I do have Steer, FQHH, Goat and wool among them), I would put it on a par with Aero, Eastman, and Buzz Rickson. I'm less familiar with Schott, so can't really comment on those fairly. I bought my B3 used so can't comment directly on the LW customer service experience, but I certainly am impressed with the product.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I have a Lost Worlds B3, and while it's not quite comparing like for like (none of my Aero jackets are shearling, but I do have Steer, FQHH, Goat and wool among them), I would put it on a par with Aero, Eastman, and Buzz Rickson. I'm less familiar with Schott, so can't really comment on those fairly. I bought my B3 used so can't comment directly on the LW customer service experience, but I certainly am impressed with the product.

Edward, its not really fair to compare any of the brands mentioned with Schott. Its a totally different business model and quality requirements. Schott is high quality for a mass produced item. They are absolutely functional and well constructed jackets, but the materials and construction are not on par with the brands in your post. This wont impact their protective capability for wear on a motorcycle (comparing similar weight and thickness hides), but longevity and aesthetics would likely differ.

Interestingly, if one is buying right from Schott and wears a larger size, they will notice a very sharp price increase that make these other brands much closer in price. As far as custom work, Schott is willing to do it, but the prices for anything that requires divergence from a custom pattern will be up there in price with a Buzz Rickson.

However, if function and cost were a primary concern over aesthetics and unique personal requirements, I doubt most of us would have found this jacket sub-forum in the first place lol.

nabottle

A-List Customer
I love my LW Peacoat. And as for Stuart - I found him to be as professional as they come. Some people on here have talked about his eccentricities, but who cares? He puts out a fine product. Who likes run of the mill personalities anyway?

DoubleXX

One of the Regulars

-You have no idea what you are talking about, Mr. 1 Post. Lost Worlds jackets are top-notch.

riskyB

New in Town
I have several LW jackets including an Easy Ryder in black cowhide and a Buco Rider in russet horsehide. Both jackets are excellent in their construction. I find they do take a bit longer to break in compared to some other jackets, but that is part of the fun. I think I have received more compliments/comments about these LW jackets than any other jacket maker (maybe with the exception of the BR B-2).

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
While I was in Chattanooga last month, Wilbur was kind enough to show me more than a couple of his jackets. Although I was mostly interested in his Aeros, he showed me a LW motorcycle jacket that I recall was black buffalo and was most impressive and very well constructed. I recall the hide as thick but not overly stiff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy