Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LOTS of 1920s TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

Most, but not all, 1920s ties are slightly narrower and shorter than their '30s counterparts. You may be surprised at how "1950s"-looking some of them are.

Below are all of my ties from the Roaring Twenties. Nearly all of them came from the estate of a man who died in 1930. They were placed in a trunk and forgotten for 75 years.

If you have any '20s ties, please post them here!

Chevaliers1920sNeckties004.jpg

Chevaliers1920sNeckties005.jpg

Chevaliers1920sNeckties010.jpg

Chevaliers1920sNeckties012.jpg

Chevaliers1920sNeckties014.jpg

I am really surprised at some of these, especially the ones which are wider than the average '20s tie. I have to check my tie collection now and really scrutinize the desingns and labels.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OK, how about the super jazzy one at the left? Length 48". And the one on the right, length 47"?
Uglyties2.jpg

Label on the left says "Kess Bros, Allentown, PA" (I love the old shop labels!) and also says "Cheney Cravats, Resilient Construction". That "Resilient Construction" I see a lot. The right hand one has a printed label that says "Wilson Brothers, DURATWILL Rayon, A rayon fabric of Celanese yarn".
I'll try to get shots of a couple others.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
A few more

Here are some others. The first group includes a tie in the center that I picked up a long time ago, pre FL, of course. I tried to clean it in Woolite, as I recall, and I ROONT IT! It says Klein's. Columbus Ave., on the label. I kept it in hopes of being able to restore or improve it some day. The one on the left is maybe 48", but the other 2 are closer to 51". The one on the right was my Governor's Island tie this year. :)
OldeTies001.jpg

The second group are also closer to 51". The blue one in the center is almost certainly a 30's tie, but I figured I'd toss it on. I love these old brocaded ties, and I love old woven wool ties as well, which the Christmasy one on the right is.
Oldeties002.jpg

So, Mr. Chevalier, how say you?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
OK, how about the super jazzy one at the left? Length 48". And the one on the right, length 47"?
Uglyties2.jpg

Label on the left says "Kess Bros, Allentown, PA" (I love the old shop labels!) and also says "Cheney Cravats, Resilient Construction". That "Resilient Construction" I see a lot. The right hand one has a printed label that says "Wilson Brothers, DURATWILL Rayon, A rayon fabric of Celanese yarn".
I'll try to get shots of a couple others.

The middle and right look post WWII, but the left one appears to be '30s.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, that middle tie is definitely from the 50's. This shot was originally posted in the "Ugly Ties" thread.
Here's yours truly wearing the aforementiined tie on Governor's Island last June, with the redoubtable Fletch.
MePaulJeriGovIsland.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Always with a beautiful woman on your arm. ;)
dhermann1 said:
Here's yours truly wearing the aforementiined tie on Governor's Island last June, with the redoubtable Fletch.
MePaulJeriGovIsland.jpg

Back to the ties. Much like styles in any era there are those I love and others that strike me as ugly.
As has been mentioned many times before, it's amazing to see style recycled in later eras. Some of those patterns are amazingly modern and styles I see for sale on a daily basis. There are street vendors and corner stores that sell "3 for $10" ties that look a lot like these!

Fowljesse

New in Town
Marc, would you mind terribly, to measure the length of the longest of those ties? I'm trying to determine if I have any '20s ties. Mine look very much like yours. I did read that they are typically 44" or shorter, and want to know if there are any exceptions.

Gene

Practically Family
Noticed one of my ties is strikingly similar to one of yours you posted, Marc. Also I'm wondering if the one on the right is 20's or 30's.

IMG_0431.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hah! Marc forgot to delete the pictures! I just got a load of ties from Dinerman and some from Two Types and I wonder if some of them might be 1920s.
Especially this one:

IMG_2243.jpg

I hope it is ok to use your image, Two Types. It's like no other tie I own. Curious material and very short. Slimmer than the usual 30s ties too. 41 inches long
It's not that jazzy in pattern but the colors are really strong.

Could be for boys or women too. I honestly don't know.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
When I first saw that tie, I immediately thought it was much older than the others ties that I bought from the same people. I really wanted to keep it but it was too short for me. I'm glad it has gone to a good home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace