Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lottabody

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
dahliaoleander said:
Can you use it on natural (unstyled) hair?

You'll only want to use it if you're setting your hair.

What does it do for your hair?

It makes it take curl better and hold curl longer.

Can you tell a noticeable difference betwen using it and not using it? How?

Absolutely. I have very straight hair. If I don't use it, my curl will fall out very quickly, if i do use it, it will at least last for 2 days.

How do you use it? Spray on? With your hands like a hair creme? Any tips?

The bottle says to dilute it and spray it. This is rubbish. It won't spray, even if diluted. Also, diluting it is unnecessary, especially for those of us with thick hair that takes forever to dry. Because of this, I do dry sets and diluting it defeats the purpose. I put mine in a separate, wide-mouthed container and just dip my fingers in and wet the strand of hair with it, then comb it through (or you can just dip in a comb). I follow with a very lightweight shine pomade before setting the curl. Do ONE curl at a time, don't saturate your whole head with it, as it dries quickly.

There's a lot more information in the setting lotion thread that Miss Neecerie recommended.

And how reliable is the 2nd review of lottabody here where it says there's no need to dilute the product?

It's better when you don't dilute it, at least IMO. We all have different hair and preferences, you just have to play to see what works for you.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
That's exactly how I used it, and it still doesn't do the job:( I won't use it anymore. I obtained better results with a cheap strong hold mousse (Superdrug extrafirm hold) and pomade mix or with the lotion Bodycare sell, but this last one has a strong smell that my husband finds rather disgusting. I don't think it is that bad at all, and it fades too.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am loving Lottabody. I have naturally wavy hair, so when I wash it I usually let it air dry so as to not lose the natural curl. If I put Lottabody on it and comb it though, then put on a hairnet to support the curls while it dries, it looks a lot better.
And if I am actually doing a set, for a special occasion, it is awesome. I find it make my hair much shinier and soft.
I am using the Sally version, and it took a lot of hunting to find it - and I found it at the African-American hair place. But it's definitely the blue one like the Sally's shown.
I also transferred it to a wide mouth jar, that I can dip a comb into. And of course, I stuck a 1930s wave setting lotion label on it...

Adele

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
I just read about Motions on someone's blog and picked some up at Sally's to give it a go this week. I've heard it's quite good and easier/better than Lottabody.

Ohhh, let us know how it works out!

In going back to the question, I also use the Sally's version. I can't say I really have any complaints.

V

Violeta

I have Motions and Lottabody. I find that when I comb out the lottabody, my hair gets kinda frizzy and almost sticky, maybe I need to dilute it more. The motions worked ok, I kinda of got the same results. Although they gave me the curls I was looking for, they didn't look "smooth". Of course this is just from personal experience, everyone's hair is different.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Violeta said:
I have Motions and Lottabody. I find that when I comb out the lottabody, my hair gets kinda frizzy and almost sticky, maybe I need to dilute it more. The motions worked ok, I kinda of got the same results. Although they gave me the curls I was looking for, they didn't look "smooth". Of course this is just from personal experience, everyone's hair is different.

That's interesting Violeta! I am thinking of trying it myself. :)

V

Violeta

I'm sure you can, just experiment. I think there might be some hot rollers that are wet to dry, maybe steam rollers will work.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Jezebel_Amazon said:
Could you use Lottabody(sallys) with hot rollers or hot sticks? I'm too lazy to wet set my hair today!
The answer is yes, although you've prob already figured that out for yourself lol.
I've put it in a pray bottle and spritzed, then hot rollered or hot sticked my hair.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Am I doing something wrong?

Lottabody is doing nothing for me. I do wet sets; I start with towel dried hair. I'm using 1 part lottabody, 3 parts water. When I take my curlers out my hair looks greasy, and when I brush out my curls, my hair becomes gummy, almost tacky. It's really gross, I get big knots and my hair feels heavy and the curls fall out faster. The first time I brushed out a Lottabody set I had enough hair for a whole rat, just brushing out that set! Everyone seems to be worried about how fast it dries and possibly making your curls crunchy. But it feels like I'm setting my hair with mashed up twinkies. Am I doing something wrong?

Inky

One Too Many
MarieAnne said:
Lottabody is doing nothing for me. I do wet sets; I start with towel dried hair. I'm using 1 part lottabody, 3 parts water. When I take my curlers out my hair looks greasy, and when I brush out my curls, my hair becomes gummy, almost tacky. It's really gross, I get big knots and my hair feels heavy and the curls fall out faster. The first time I brushed out a Lottabody set I had enough hair for a whole rat, just brushing out that set! Everyone seems to be worried about how fast it dries and possibly making your curls crunchy. But it feels like I'm setting my hair with mashed up twinkies. Am I doing something wrong?

MarieAnne, what method do you apply it with? It sounds like you are using too much. I spray it on (and I use the same ratio on my thick, wavy, coarse hair) each section as I curl. I have read some ladies here dip their comb in it.

I also use Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion which is like a mousse. You might try that if Lottabody doesn't work (i don't use Lottabody often unless I want my set to wear like iron for a few days - it strips out my color too much).

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Hey Inky, I usually spray it on. I usually do 6-7 'sprays' per strand. My hair is also very long - past my bra strap. I'll try applying it just on the bottom half of my strand. Thanks!

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Lottabody Issues

I've pretty much got the hang of curling my hair, but it's so fine that it falls quickly. So on your advice I got some Lottabody, and I'm having some problems. When I use it my hair gets very thick, but it hardly seems to curl at all. First I was spraying each piece before curling, and waiting until it was just damp. Then last night I sprayed it all over while my hair was still wet, let the whole thing dry, and lightly sprayed with water as I went. It still didn't work. It's diluted the way many people have suggested, about 1/3 to 1/2. Is it just my hair type or am I doing something wrong?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You could try diluting it even more -- I find that even 2/3-1/3 is too dense for me, so I mix it up quite a bit thinner, maybe 4 parts water to 1 part Lottabody or even 5 to 1 if there isn't a lot of humidity to worry about. The key is to experment with it until you hit a ratio that works for you, and never mind what the "standard advice" says. It's pretty highly concentrated stuff, and a little goes a long way.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I have never used any setting lotion... in your opinion does it make a lot of difference to your sets? Is lottabody the best one to try? I've had a look on ebay and there are a few different brands, mostly Slika. Has anyone tried that?

Tatum

Practically Family
I have never used any setting lotion... in your opinion does it make a lot of difference to your sets? Is lottabody the best one to try? I've had a look on ebay and there are a few different brands, mostly Slika. Has anyone tried that?

LinaSofia, if I just set my hair damp, I get frizz and fuzz. Setting lotion (I also use LottaBody) helps a lot.

Melissa Collett

New in Town
I use LottaBody in a 1:3 ratio. I have long layered thick pin straight hair (about to the middle of my back). My hair almost never held a curl till I heard about LottaBody. I've used it both with spraying on my damp post shower hair and I've also used it on dry hair and have had good results both ways.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I use LottaBody in a 1:3 ratio. I have long layered thick pin straight hair (about to the middle of my back). My hair almost never held a curl till I heard about LottaBody. I've used it both with spraying on my damp post shower hair and I've also used it on dry hair and have had good results both ways.

Great to hear it works well on pin straight hair. I've tried to find some here in Dublin but no luck - does anyone know if it is available online somewhere that delivers outside of the US?

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Great to hear it works well on pin straight hair. I've tried to find some here in Dublin but no luck - does anyone know if it is available online somewhere that delivers outside of the US?

Have a look on ebay! I have found one seller in the UK and I'm sure they'd deliver to Dublin. A bottle is only £2.50 plus postage. I've just ordered one! Hurry if you want one, because it said they had 2 left. the seller is achnit05.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran