Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

This is Piper:

95ZetxN.jpg

She was the product of a "for profit" breeder, but was de-valued because she's Siamese but doesn't have the typical markings. As a result she was somewhat ignored and abused a bit, and as a result of that my friend was able to adopt her free as a "rescue". Also as a result, Piper is not particularly friendly until you've earned her trust; took me about four or five days of patience and behaving relaxed and calm around her. Once she felt comfortable with me, she heard my voice and ran across the house to lay on my lap. My friend said Piper had never done that with anyone but her, so I took it as acceptance. Now, after more than a few months, Piper shows all the signs of comfort and affection around me, so I do what I can to maintain that.
Piper is in the right home! Congrats!

This is Piper:

95ZetxN.jpg

She was the product of a "for profit" breeder, but was de-valued because she's Siamese but doesn't have the typical markings. As a result she was somewhat ignored and abused a bit, and as a result of that my friend was able to adopt her free as a "rescue". Also as a result, Piper is not particularly friendly until you've earned her trust; took me about four or five days of patience and behaving relaxed and calm around her. Once she felt comfortable with me, she heard my voice and ran across the house to lay on my lap. My friend said Piper had never done that with anyone but her, so I took it as acceptance. Now, after more than a few months, Piper shows all the signs of comfort and affection around me, so I do what I can to maintain that.
So, who rescued who?!
Great story, Al.

This is Mr. Mittens. The vet figures he’s about 14 years old. He had been a shirttail relative’s pet for his first dozen years or so, until said relative fell too ill to live outside a care facility. That’s when the lovely missus and I assumed responsibility for the cat. (The relative is since deceased.)

Mittens is exceptionally affectionate. He rarely meows, but he purrs often and loudly. He’s also big on licking the top of my shiny head with his scratchy tongue. He prefers such doings during the wee hours, being nocturnal and all.

F464FB91-451B-4A83-A065-18B9B3761424.jpeg

In memory of Miss Carol -- 2009-2023. View attachment 480163

Rest well, my dear fat barrel cat.
Was her left ear clipped?

I had a chat with a woman who is involved in a cat rescue/foster organization who told me they capture feral cats, spay or neuter them, and clip the ears of the ones who appear unsuitable for household pet status before releasing them again. The ear marking is to know which of the ferals have already been caught and “treated.” The woman told me the released ferals typically don’t have long lives out there on those mean streets, but at least they aren’t making more short-lived cats.

My Dear Old Ma has for several years fed feral cats and had them “fixed” at the vet there in that little resort town of hers. (Back when the Old Man was still around he plowed out the vet’s parking lot in the winter. Such is small town life.) Mom keeps a plastic dog cage (they call ’em “kennels,” but I don’t) on her deck. In the winter she puts an electric heating pad in there, along with the raggedy old blankets and whatnot. The cats know where the B&B is.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy