Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

Big_e

Practically Family
My pack begging for jalapeno corn chips. Blinky, the MinPin is at the front as always. Daisy, a terrier mix as his back-up. She took Blinky under her wing when he was a tiny pup and practically raised him. Mojo in the background, a corgi mix. You can barely see him. He's the old man and never rushes for anything.
Ernest

Picture253.jpg

jsands

New in Town
Our 8 mos old puppy, Tempest. She's a deer in the headlights as I've caught her red-handed on my sofa. It takes FOREVER to vaccume up those fine hairs as they embed themselves quite easily in the fabric (not to mention she's slobbering over that rawhide on my cushion). We've had her since she was 7 wks. old, and were told that she was a beagle mix. She's certainly larger than a beagle, her paws are webbed, and I am assuming that the mix has something to do with a Lab, although she may also have some pointer mixed in there too.

Likes: Howling at the sirens (we live on a military post), rough-housing with our cat Leonin (She thinks she's a cat, sadly), and going for runs (I'm certain that she doesn't know what walk means).

Dislikes: Having her ears cleaned, being locked out of the bedroom at night (shes a total bed hog), and thunderstorms.

17472_1223864035269_1189047841_30568209_1616783_n.jpg

(In the background you can see our Bearded Dragon, NicholBolas.)

cptjeff

Practically Family
jsands said:
Our 8 mos old puppy, Tempest. She's a deer in the headlights as I've caught her red-handed on my sofa. It takes FOREVER to vaccume up those fine hairs as they embed themselves quite easily in the fabric (not to mention she's slobbering over that rawhide on my cushion). We've had her since she was 7 wks. old, and were told that she was a beagle mix. She's certainly larger than a beagle, her paws are webbed, and I am assuming that the mix has something to do with a Lab, although she may also have some pointer mixed in there too.

Likes: Howling at the sirens (we live on a military post), rough-housing with our cat Leonin (She thinks she's a cat, sadly), and going for runs (I'm certain that she doesn't know what walk means).

Dislikes: Having her ears cleaned, being locked out of the bedroom at night (shes a total bed hog), and thunderstorms.

17472_1223864035269_1189047841_30568209_1616783_n.jpg

(In the background you can see our Bearded Dragon, NicholBolas.)

If you want to keep her off the couch, do what our vet recommended with our dog. Buy a few mousetraps and spread them armed across the sofa. After a few times jumping up and setting them off, you can just leave them on unarmed and she won't jump up with them there.

Just remember to take them off when you have company.

jsands said:
Only be worried if kittie is dragging it's bum behind... lol

Kitty is doing something that isn't exactly appropriate to discuss on this forum. At least your kitty has the decency to stop when you walk in- there are youtube videos that prove not all cats are so modest.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I adore frenchies! Precious! Little Kojishi gets my kisses too xxxxxxxxxx
23SkidooWithYou said:
Not Billie but her brother Parker, my fawn frenchie. Here are the "men of the house", Parker and Kojishi (Japanese Chin) who was only a pup at the time.
4120320329_0465eeb2cb_m.jpg

Billie sporting her Fauxburry plaid and Dalilah (Parker and Billie's daughter) as a puppy.
4306522569_1259549b55_m.jpg

Canadave

One Too Many
cptjeff said:
If you want to keep her off the couch, do what our vet recommended with our dog. Buy a few mousetraps and spread them armed across the sofa. After a few times jumping up and setting them off, you can just leave them on unarmed and she won't jump up with them there...

Am I missing something here? Wouldn't a mouse trap snapping onto a dog's paw cause some serious damage?

Inky

One Too Many
I keep my animals off our sofa by using a length of the clear plastic carpet runner with the little rubber "spikes" faced up on the sofa. It only took once for them to jump up there and jump right off. after about a month of them on there I was able to remove it and so far so good.

It is Balloon!

Another trick is to blow up a number of party ballons and have the dog play with you and you pop a balloon. The sharp noise gets associated with ballons. Then you leave a bunch of ballons on the couch for a few weeks. Balloon pop - balloons - balloons on couch - stay off couch.:p

Inky

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Another trick is to blow up a number of party ballons and have the dog play with you and you pop a balloon. The sharp noise gets associated with ballons. Then you leave a bunch of ballons on the couch for a few weeks. Balloon pop - balloons - balloons on couch - stay off couch.:p

oh yes, my folks had a dog that hated balloons and they would put a blown up one at the foot of the stairs to keep the dog from going upstairs during the day. And one of my cats is scared of plastic grocery bags so we have used those in the past to keep him off furniture. pets, they are so sweet and silly!

jsands

New in Town
Every kittie i've known has LOVED plastic bags, so that is funny to hear. When unpacking groceries, I usually toss the bags into a pile on the floor, and within minutes our cat is diving into the middle of them. Kittie also loves paper bags and empty boxes that he can squeeze into. He loves to torment our dog, so he'll hide until she comes trotting by, and then spring for the kill. It's so amusing to watch them duke it out!

As for the sofa, I'll have to try some of those methods out. I, too, would think that the mousetrap might be too painful. I also have a 20 month old, so that will definetely not work. Balloons would likely be played with by the cat and my daughter, too, and god knows I don't want her trying to eat the laytex. I'll have to see if the knobby carpet runner trick will work. It seems like the safest bet thus far. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Inky

One Too Many
lol - my cat is definitely outside the "cat box" as it were.

the bonus feature about those carpet runners is that since they are plastic, they also help with keeping the furniture clean and protected a bit. of course it won't help kitty from scratching the furniture (mine wear softclaws for that!)

cptjeff

Practically Family
Canadave said:
Am I missing something here? Wouldn't a mouse trap snapping onto a dog's paw cause some serious damage?

Nope, doggy paws, especially for larger dogs are decently tough. A lot tougher then the bones in a creature that's 4 inches long. They also don't usually get caught, but if they do they can usually get out themselves. If you want an idea, stick a finger or two in a trap yourself. It'll hurt, but you'll be fine. Usually they're not caught at all, but it just makes a loud snapping noise.

I keep my animals off our sofa by using a length of the clear plastic carpet runner with the little rubber "spikes" faced up on the sofa. It only took once for them to jump up there and jump right off. after about a month of them on there I was able to remove it and so far so good.

Mileage may vary on the 'staying off' part. Our dog is more cunning then that. Not that we don't know, she leaves traces. White hair on dark couches is somewhat obvious.

MCPRE

Familiar Face
4134049628_3551ed6331_o.jpg

How do you not spoil this, now my girls are both large, one old one young, both used to the couch(es). I simply laid down the law - cracked down - took action, said enough is enough. I made them get off, if they didnt respond I helped them, then when ever they would attempt to get back on I would just - uh huh. Now they pretty much get the point. I did meet halfway though by giving them the ottoman, rather comical seeing them battle for that!lol
The older dog will bark at the pup initiating a playful gesture, when the pup jumps off ready for action, she just jumps up and takes it.:D

cptjeff

Practically Family
We tried that. Didn't work. She learned that she wasn't allowed, but she also learned that what (she thinks) we don't know won't hurt us.

Hence the mousetraps, which act as a deterrent even when she know we're not watching.

She somehow makes do with the den couch and my brother's bed where she sleeps at night. She sleeps in one of those two locations all morning, not exactly a hard life.

MCPRE

Familiar Face
Sharpei/Ridgeback, you might have a highbrid there! I almost got a Sharpei before I got my Am. Bulldog, shes 10 now. The pic of the pup is from the website for the rescue, suckered us in. She sheds sooo bad.[huh]
I have never seen a dog that can run like her though, I think she is part deer and part coyote!

My Max has Dachshund ramps to cut down on jumping. His usual spot for sleeping at night is the couch via a ramp. Although occassionally he will sleep on one of the chairs in the living room. I have a ramp up to my bed which allows him to go up and look out the windows to see the front yard and street. During the day he is often there as he likes to keep an eye on the neighbors and who is coming into the neighborhood like delivery trucks, mailmen, trash removal, etc. He keeps a wary eye out for any shennanagians!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn