Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love at first sight? What Balloney!!...or, does it really happen?

52Styleline

A-List Customer
"Love is temporary insanity curable by marriage. It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced."

Falling in love consists merely in uncorking the imagination and bottling the common sense. If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Cracker

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
Have you ever just met someone out of the blue, you talk, smile and laugh and something has just clicked and you feel like you are just going to fall into those deep blue eyes and drown, like it was the most natural thing in the world.[/I][/B]

Yup. I married her.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Lust at first sight, oh yes, I have experienced that.

As for love at first sight, how can you fall in love with someone you just met or saw? That is like buying the package and wrapping but not knowing what is inside.

karol

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Love at first sight, you say?

It it's that kind of love - that addictive thing people call romance- it's all, as Elmer Fudd would put it, Bawoney!

But if we're talking about what others called Lust at first sight, it has happened... and I utterly hate it!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've been cipherin' on this.

It can't be just lust.

When I think back in my life, there have been people of both sexes with whom I have felt a very strong personal connection at first meeting. And I am quite certain lust could only have been possibly involved with the ladies in question. lol

So it's possible to feel an immediate sense of kinship with a new person, without lust being involved.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I'm tempted to say yes. But, then again, I'm less sure.

For example one of my exes, first time I met him was at a gig, I saw him there and.. did nothing, well except blush. I was painfully shy.

Weeks later I was chatting online to a guy from a message forum I was on, we'd clicked instantly online eventually (ages later) we exchanged photos and recognised each other. Unfortunately our relationship didn't last, but we've stayed close friends. So I'd say I love him, did I love him at first sight? I don't know, there was something there.

Maybe it's just hindsight that says it was love, because I now know that I love him, and can't imagine not doing so.

Salv

One Too Many
Actually, all kidding aside, the first time I met my future wife I knew I was going to marry her. That was 20th June 1978 (yes I can even remember the date) in a local pub where she had stopped for a drink with friends before going on to a club. I was just there for a drink with one of my friends and Sue and I ended up talking until closing time. Lust didn't really come into it that first night - we just enjoyed talking and laughing together. Her friends kept walking past us coughing loudly as they wanted to get on to the club, and my mate gave up and went home. I missed my last train and when I eventually got home I told my mum that I had just met the girl I was going to marry. We'll be celebrating our 23rd anniversary this May.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm in the same boat with you, Salv.

I knew I was going to marry my wife the day I met her.

I was somewhat afraid that she may not have felt this as strongly as I did, so I came home and told my friends "Wow, that is the type of girl I want to marry."

Fortunately, she felt the same. We'll have been together 7 years next month.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Naama said:
I don't belive in love in anyway these days for me..... Never been in love, and don't think that I'll ever be in love [huh]

Naama

Aww come on! That's too sad! :(
I used to think that way sometimes, but it gets you nowhere. You have to have faith. Seems love is mostly all about faith.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
At first, it seemed rather a silly question to me, but the more I think about it, the more I realize it's really unanswerable. I think it's one of those things that really depends on the individual. There are people here who fell in love at first sight, and there are people here who did not. I think, on a personal level, I'm inclined to say that love at first sight could not exist for me. I'm a cynic, I guess. I've never been in love, or have been loved back, I suppose. That probably affects my opinion. Maybe "love at first sight" is more of an instant favorable reaction that builds the foundation for eventual love.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I dont admit love lightly. In my life it has happened only once, and he did not return the sentiment.

I have has a striking need to be near a person at first tight. Its like the aura you can see coming from a person, its intoxicating.

LD

Amelie

A-List Customer
[huh]
Samsa said:
I think this thread implicitly points to the problem with English having only one word for "love." People can say, with a straight face, "I love my wife," "I love my dog," "I love my car," and "I love The Beatles." The Greeks had four words for love: eros, philia, agape, storge. When people talk about love at first sight, I think they are refering to "eros" or romantic love. I believe that this sort of love at first sight happens all the time. However, it is a fleeting sort of "love"; I think that many people have lost sight of the distinction between different kinds of love, and especially between romantic love and conjugal love; the former lasts only briefly, but the latter has the potential to last until death. I think it's absurd to suggest that someone can have conjugal love at first sight; but eros at first sight is another thing altogether.

it's even worse in french since we dont even have a word for "to like". I mean, we actually have "appr?©cier" but it's not used in that way... so no wonder why french is La langue de l'amour... we simply have to love everything

fot the topic of that thread though, it kind of happened to me too.
The first time I was in Paris, I saw, with some other people from another board, a boy with whom I had been chatting for a while. I felt nothing for him though. He was somebody I liked, nothing more. But the minute I saw him there at the Place St-Michel I started to melt. I was only talking about him for the rest of my journey. Unfortunately, he was from Belgium, and after that day he returned there. I saw him again the second time I was in Paris. Same thing there. I saw him two days in a row in that travel, and I felt he was feeling the same as me. And he returned to Belgium. And I returned to Montreal.

The first time in Paris was three years and a half ago. I saw him three days in my whole life. And I still love him.

hum, sorry thats pathetic

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Yes it does happen.

First Sight.
Impattendays.jpg

When I brought him home.
BabyImpaptcopy.jpg

Nine years and counting.
Imp12606copy.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Salv said:
Actually, all kidding aside, the first time I met my future wife I knew I was going to marry her. That was 20th June 1978 (yes I can even remember the date) in a local pub where she had stopped for a drink with friends before going on to a club. I was just there for a drink with one of my friends and Sue and I ended up talking until closing time. Lust didn't really come into it that first night - we just enjoyed talking and laughing together. Her friends kept walking past us coughing loudly as they wanted to get on to the club, and my mate gave up and went home. I missed my last train and when I eventually got home I told my mum that I had just met the girl I was going to marry. We'll be celebrating our 23rd anniversary this May.

Well, that is almost a cliche, but what a great story.

I am going to weigh in on the positive side. All my best relationships started with instant rapport in which we knew immediately taht we would hit it off. I am now single, so none of them lasted forever, but no matter. All were great relationships that all started with a catching of eyes and instant connection.

Problem is, that happens less and less, so I am now going to learn to not wait for that and start approaching women more and dating to get to know them. It is hard because I don't know if there is much point to dating someone I like, but don't have that instant connection or not. Maybe they will grow on me, or maybe I just need to wait for the connection. I will let you know.

two thoughts. One is that we read a lot about a person by their appearance including stance, posture, eyes, dress, how they carry themselves etc. So we probably can tell immediately if we are going to connect with someone or not sometimes at a glance.

The other idea is that love is a realization of the self in others, and some people just connect with us and allow us to transcend the illusion of the self, for at least a moment.

Third thought is we are reincarnated in groups that come together life after life, sometimes as friends lovers or family, sometimes as rivals or enemies even. And our goal is to work out all the issues you have with that soul group if you will. People who claim to recognize people who are connected to them in this way say they recognize it when looking into their eyes and it suddenly hits them. Perhaps some love at first sights is a recognition of the familiar soul on an unconscious or spiritual level.

GOK

One Too Many
Salv said:
There's things about me you don't know, Gokkie. Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand.

You don't want to get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Gokkie. A rebel.

I don't understand...

lol lol lol

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
Third thought is we are reincarnated in groups that come together life after life, sometimes as friends lovers or family, sometimes as rivals or enemies even. And our goal is to work out all the issues you have with that soul group if you will. People who claim to recognize people who are connected to them in this way say they recognize it when looking into their eyes and it suddenly hits them. Perhaps some love at first sights is a recognition of the familiar soul on an unconscious or spiritual level.

I know this lady that I always had a deep connection to, a psychic phenomenon even. A thought will come to me, and I either go somewhere, or call her, whatever the case may be, and it is always to rescue her from some predicament. She is like my damsel in distress. :rolleyes:
She recently announced she was marrying some guy out of the blue, and it really seems that she has to do so. The hero of the story does not always get the girl! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic