Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love at first sight? What Balloney!!...or, does it really happen?

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Enthusiastic Hair...

Buckwheat_Me.jpg

or

Fine_Larry.jpg

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
...does it actually happen? has it happened to you?

Attraction at first sight? Yes, a few times

Clicking with someone immediately at first sight? Yes, a few times.

Desire at first sight? yes, a few times.

Lust at first sight? Yes, but it's been a few years (actually just 18).

True Love at first sight? Only three times, but they were better than anything else...

My Oldest Son
My Daughter
My Youngest Son

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I didn't love The Mister at first sight. He wasn't the physical type I went for.... but his southern accent, charm, and manners instantly grew on me. It took us only about three days of getting to know each other to realize that the other was different from those that had hurt us in the past, and it took him about 2 1/2 weeks (and me 3 weeks) to realize that it had grown beyond just liking one another and wanting to chat. I liked that he wanted to get to know me, and admired me as an intelligent woman.

That's been almost two years ago. He's been my Mister for nearly 5 months. The past few weeks have really proved to both of us that what we have is more than a fleeting thing. The vows we said have been tested, and they ring true on a daily basis. I can't imagine being with anyone else than him.

Phil

A-List Customer
I think it's entirely possible for someone to fall in love at first sight. Now, having both people fall in love, that's a different story. Of course, it can also be argued that it's less love at first sight, but rather lust at first sight.

Miss Jones

New in Town
I DEFINITELY believe in love at first sight. Like Steve in an earlier post, I've carried a torch for the same fella for nearly 10 years, even though I lost track of him some years back. The first time I saw him I knew. He smiled. I think he knew. That was before I met my husband. I still think of the fella though. I'll always have a place in my heart for him. He was always my friend. (he never felt the same...oh well)

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Phil said:
I think it's entirely possible for someone to fall in love at first sight. Now, having both people fall in love, that's a different story. Of course, it can also be argued that it's less love at first sight, but rather lust at first sight.

this is the problem -- a hideous girl I knew would have said that she loved me but the feeling was as nonrequited as is humanly possible. i found her profoundly repulsive. from her point of view, it was love. -Edit *snip* - her "love" for me caused her to essentially stalk me for years until she got tired of it; my friends still run into her (not, alas, whilst driving) and she still asks about me; so upon this example I am inclined to think that "love" should be mutual to be defined as love and not something else (such as lust). but perhaps I am missing something.

Hondo

One Too Many
Balloney

This was an interesting thread, its all balloney, doomed love, Sure there are exceptions, but its rare, you almost have to grin and bear it, hide true feelings, problems will and do creep up, relationships take time, I know a gal from the office for years, we have come come full circle, fate plays a funny waiting game, both of us had seires of ups and downs with others, so we better know each other now. (gosh I hope so lol ) We get along much better, respectful. Many go into relations thinking beauty, or sex ya know? Gimmie things now, or be mine or your slave on hand and knees. Depends but..if you wait, you count the rewards later, its like going to the beach, the waters cold at first but once you inch in a little more, it gets better, warmer. I've met many a pretty face, nice personality, you just need more info.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
It certainly does happen....as soon as i laid eyes on my man i knew....and when he told me his name i was hooked :D

It did however take him a year to realise that he was in love with me...NO NO NO i did not chase him...I very uncharacteristically played it super cool so cool i didn't recognise myself. He ended our relationship at one point and i was a broken girl... ( i picked myself up and got on with stuff lots of stuff i had been putting off ) But when he kept in touch, i just knew that he would eventually wake up to the fact he was in love with me (all the signals had been there but he was ignoring them )....And he did ...a year ago now and we live together in a fairytale land of true love.:fedora:

So i guess the moral of the story is....what is rightfully yours will come to you. and it always happens when you least expect it.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I really should've read the thread (hey, that kind of rhymed! - dibs on that, no one else can take it and that's official!:D ) then I'd not be almost certainly repeating stuff, but what the heck! Love at first sight? Probably, but not very often. I did a love at 26th sight, give or take. Lust at first sight - well, now we have more of a realistic situation! And I think lust turns to time put in, turns to lurve, turns to love. It's progressive. But to say it definitely doesn't happen off the first bat (wood not mammal)? I wouldn't. :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Carole, what an old romantic!

Definitely a bit of romance left in you there, even with all those famous Scots' midges and damp, dank weather to contend with.

I know this 'love at first sight' thing where Eros's little arrow strikes like a thunderbolt through your heart is rare...BUT....it can happen, and I would also throw into this pot/cauldron that it can happen before all the lustful stuff too!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Did I say it couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't? Know me, know my propensity for covering my back! But in all serious romancicity (yes, I made that up!), people do fall in love at first sight by all accounts, and I think it's one of the wonders and wonderfulnesses (that one too!) of being human!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Love, that doth reign and live within my thought,
And built his seat within my captive breast,
Clad in the arms wherein with me he fought,
Oft in my face he doth his banner rest.

Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey
Love, That Doth Reign and Live Within My Thought (1557) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy