Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love Letters

Folly

One of the Regulars
There's a lolovely book entitled Love Letters From The Front which is a collection of letters written by a man named Eric who served during WWI, to his Irish sweetheart Phyliss, back home. There is only one letter from her in the whole book, but they're awfully sweet nevertheless. I developed a bit of a crush on the man who wrote the letters to be honest :eek:

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Mary said:
It sounds just lovely!

I love love letters. Have never got any but I have written some to guys I liked. I seems very romantic. But was is a WWII-letter? And I'd love to hear what you like so much about writing them.

Is it more romantic cause you're not able to see eachother? Do you write old-fashioned declarations of love? Do you write about your everyday life?

I saw a friend last night who was rediciously in love but couldn't say what was so wonderful about the girlfriend. I so love to hear people speak of beauty.

And are there any love-letter-books you'd recommend. Sweden didn't participate in WWII so we don't have them here as much. And I suppose you have a stronger tradition cause the US is at war quite often. What do you and your men think of war?

M

When everyone says WWII letters, that just means when we write them, we are refrencing different world events, feelings and situations than you would today.

Samantha

alexandra

Practically Family
Being Canadian, we take a lot of pride in WWI and WWII because our new and unpopulated country gave a lot to the war efforts and we are respected in various countries around the world to this day for it.

Plus, that was before the Canadian army consisted of a canoe and a watergun.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
alexandra said:
This is probably going to sound really creepy and pathetic, but I'm going to throw it out there just because if you don't do it now, I know at least one of you will have the temptation to try it at some point in your life.

Does anyone else write love letters to imaginary WWII soldiers who never existed while pretending to live in the 1940's? Well, I do obviously. I know it's lame, but I like to put on a record and sit and write letters to people who I imagine wrote me back (obviously they never do. Maybe I should hire someone to write me back haha)

I have 3 people I write letters to:

Red Dennison - My best friend since the playpen.

Jack Williams - My English pilot love interest.

Johnny Morrison - My childhood sweetheart.

I have a whole storyline that's been going for sometime. It's almost like writing a novel, only without any of the street cred and plus 50 nerd points. It's fun though because I never know what's going to happen until I write a new letter.

Aw, I think that is sweet! That would make a great book- just a collection of short stories. Go for it!

imoldfashioned said:
How fun Alexandra! I think it's a great idea. So you don't write their responses back to you as well?

HAHA

"Dear Me,
You are beautiful and I think you are perfect! There is no other woman like you and all of my war buddies are jealous because you are fantastic. You are a Goddess!

Love, Your Soldier"

alexandra

Practically Family
Oh I know, right? I'm already way too self-obsessed and into how great I am to start writing letters to myself haha!

Folly

One of the Regulars
alexandra said:
Being Canadian, we take a lot of pride in WWI and WWII because our new and unpopulated country gave a lot to the war efforts and we are respected in various countries around the world to this day for it.

Plus, that was before the Canadian army consisted of a canoe and a watergun.

Just along the road from here is an avenue of maple trees in honour of the Canadian soldiers who died from an infection which swept through the military hospital in the area.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
alexandra said:
This is probably going to sound really creepy and pathetic, but I'm going to throw it out there just because if you don't do it now, I know at least one of you will have the temptation to try it at some point in your life.

Does anyone else write love letters to imaginary WWII soldiers who never existed while pretending to live in the 1940's? Well, I do obviously. I know it's lame, but I like to put on a record and sit and write letters to people who I imagine wrote me back (obviously they never do. Maybe I should hire someone to write me back haha)

I have 3 people I write letters to:

Red Dennison - My best friend since the playpen.

Jack Williams - My English pilot love interest.

Johnny Morrison - My childhood sweetheart.

I have a whole storyline that's been going for sometime. It's almost like writing a novel, only without any of the street cred and plus 50 nerd points. It's fun though because I never know what's going to happen until I write a new letter.
Any chance you'd type some out for us to read? I'm intrigued :)

The Dame

One of the Regulars
I can't for the life of me remember which forum it's on :eusa_doh: , but there's a thread out there titled 'Correspondence' - a number of FL members are wanting to write honest-to-god letters, by hand, to each other. Lady Day is organizing the whole thing. Have you seen it? You might be able to find a 'partner in crime' for the male half of your period letters ... ? Provided you really wanted to, of course! Anyhoo, just wanted to share ... :)

alexandra

Practically Family
I forgot I made this thread, but I just wrote a letter to Jack today! I should scan it in.

Everyone still keeps asking why my status on facebook is set to engaged...and why they've never met Jack lol

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I can't fault you for that at all. I have another hobby (asian ball-jointed dolls). Well, after five years of looking and dreaming, I finally had enough money to buy one (the dolls are actually considered to be works of art and therefore they range in price from 300$ to into the thousands). I was so excited. I spent a lot of time dreaming up her 'character' and wrote a pair of letters from her to me to sort that out in my head.

I'm getting ready to order my second doll thanks to a tax refund. Not sure if I will delve that deeply into dorkiness this time.

Personally, I love the idea. It's very romantic. Reminds me of Shop Around the Corner!

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Mary said:
And are there any love-letter-books you'd recommend. Sweden didn't participate in WWII so we don't have them here as much. And I suppose you have a stronger tradition cause the US is at war quite often. What do you and your men think of war?

M

Mary, there is a great collection of love letters written by the famous author F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda. These span from the late 19-teens through the 1930s, so they are "between the wars" but they are masterpieces. The collection includes quite a few copies of their handwritten letters, telegrams, notes, etc. in addition to the typed text of all their letters, including spelling errors! The book also contains photographs. It is organized chronologically -- from their earliest courtship through Zelda's heartbreaking illness -- and I just can't recommend it enough. Both Scott and Zelda were very talented writers, and all of the little "extras" in the book are just icing on the cake.

KayEn78

One of the Regulars
I'm so glad I stumbled upon this post! What an awesome idea. I never even thought of doing something like this. Since I enjoy writing, I should give this a try! :)I would love to see what others have written to their imaginery WWII soldiers.

-Kristi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk