Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love this site --- I'm in Heaven!

The Soph Gent

New in Town
I just wanted to "introduce" myself as a newbie and give a thumbs-up to this great site. Up until about 7 months ago, I never went near an antique store or owned anything "vintage". During the boring winter months, I decided to possible get back into shaving with the old style safety razors. I discovered a great forum and the more I got involved the more I discovered that collecting vintage razors was a very popular hobby. I started collecting (and using) them and have been actively restoring/selling them. I even remodeled my bathroom to accommodate the vintage razor era.

Then I started going to Antique stores and the more I went the more I started to appreciate the beauty of the vintage stuff.

We all know how items of long ago were made so much better and had so much better eye appeal. The more I looked the more I got the bug. I then started collecting vintage electric fans, typewriters, radios and ESPECIALLY telephones.

I have about 10 phones, 3 typewriters and 2 fans. I won't even go into the amount of vintage razors. Now the problem is where to put and display these items. I am now in the process of remodeling a spare bedroom I have. The entire room will have a 1940's feel to it. I stripped the old paneling off and pulled up the wall to wall carpeting (there is hard wood floors underneath). I will be using wallpaper from the '40's and the furniture will all be from that era. I have a great lamp that was my Grandmothers (1940's) that I saved all these years.

As much as I love modern technology, I had finally reached my limit of all the junk that is made today. Poor craftsmanship and quality. These items from long ago have a "sculptural" beauty that is just impressive.

Anyway, just wanted to rant a little and say how glad I am to find this site. I found it purely by accident while searching for display cases for a couple of my phones.

I am so glad to see so many others that enjoy that era. Hope to pick up some great ideas.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge,sir. As soon as you've made 15 posts you'll be able to post images, and show us all your neat stuff. Looking forward to that! You're definitely our sort.

Lord Brett

New in Town
Welcome to the Lounge,sir. As soon as you've made 15 posts you'll be able to post images, and show us all your neat stuff. Looking forward to that! You're definitely our sort.

Welcome, Soph Gent. I'm another newcomer who found his way to the Lounge, in my case while shopping online for a hat.

I've been posting pictures with no problem right from the off, using Photobucket.

The Soph Gent

New in Town
Welcome, Soph Gent. I'm another newcomer who found his way to the Lounge, in my case while shopping online for a hat.

I've been posting pictures with no problem right from the off, using Photobucket.

I noticed you are from England. I have become a great fan of different antique items from there. You may notice from my original post that I collect vintage razors and telephones (and other things). For some reason the Gillette razors (Aristocrats)from England were made so much nicer than their American counterparts. Don't get me wrong, the American Gillette's were very nice but the ones from England seem to be better.
Also, I just acquired my "favorite" vintage phone. The British King Pyramid Phone(s) from the 1930-1950.
Here are some photos.

GilletteBritishAristocrat165.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

GilletteBritishAristocratafter9.jpg

IMG_3921864x648.jpg

IMG_3931864x648.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner