Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LUFTWAFFE FLiES: LEWiS LEATHERS 'DOMiNATOR' Review

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Chinese whispers...

I think the LW-ness has been lost again.
Too much mouth, not enough eyes.

There must be some spark of '30s-'40s vintage fit, or cut, to qualify.
Surely.

Full circle- back to a contemporary MC jacket.

BK- the Brando/Waterfront jackets were "of" an individual, a little more iconic than the sniff of the Luftwaffe.

B
T

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
"don't BoGaRT that jacket!"

I'm eternally glad that the trench coat has not become the "Bogart" jacket!---B.Kurtz

been interesting standing clear of this discussion...

i'm the uLtimate guiLty party, taking the Lewis Leather Dominator as being 'the' iconic Luftwaffe jacket, but only in response to all the movies i saw growing up as a kid, including 'the battle of britain', which used a variant on this very jacket as the Luftwaffian jacket in that fLic

but it's not just me, eastman did choose this particular jacket, and i agree with their choice, so there is some cultural (pop tho it might be) agreement that this was 'the' jacket we think of the Luftwaffe pilots using...like how accurate is the tom cruise character in 'top gun'? (rhetorical question, i think we all know the answer)

but hey, i never wanted to be a Luftwaffe piLot, i was more attracted to the jacket...and if the Luftwaffe pilots had flown their ME 109s in striped pajamas, believe me, i would not be searching the world for the best pair of striped pajamas...

i think we all imbue things with some stereotypical quality...whether it be JFK, NiXoN...now Bush, in politix...Darth Vader or CNN's voice in the field of sound, or the A-2 and patch smothered G-1 in the world of jackets...oh yeah, and the 'Dominator'-style jacket for the Germans...

i'll be the first to admit that most of the jackets on google image search of Luftwaffe pilots show jackets that are slightly to very different than the 'Dominator' style

but we as humans choose to remember what we want to...like the James Dean or Brando leather jacket should be the fLag for a whole generation

pop cuLture's a trip...and this jacket's part of it...and the knowledgeable types will always smirk with their historical corrections of what the fools in pop culture choose to choose as their emblems

but i'll always prefer to see james bond in a black tuxedo, a rolex, and a ppk...and a Luftwaffe pilot in 'the iconic' style, as possibly marginal that actual style was to the number of summer flight jackets the Luftwaffe actually bought...

mirroring this back and forth discussion on 'what the right jacket was' for the Luftwaffe...it also goes on in the world of fiction...which i below offer a perhaps metaphorical but fascinating reference to re 007:

"Shortly before the publication of From Russia with Love in 1956, Fleming received a fan letter from a Geoffrey Boothroyd. Boothroyd was an author and gun collector. Boothroyd told Fleming that he really admired the Bond novels apart from the hero's choice of weapon. He felt that the Beretta 418 was "a lady's gun" with no real stopping power. He also objected to the choice of holster. Boothroyd proposed that Bond should use a revolver like the Smith & Wesson Centennial Airweight. It had no external hammer, so it would not catch on Bond's clothes. The Smith & Wesson could be kept in a Berns-Martin triple draw holster held in place with a spring clip which would decrease Bond's draw time. Boothroyd also had bad words about the suppressor Bond occasionally used, saying that they were rarely silent and reduced the power of a gun.Boothroyd recommended the Walther PPK 7.65 mm as being the best choice for an automatic of that size...(subsequently then) Fleming had Bond's Beretta caught in his holster at the end of From Russia with Love, an event that almost costs the secret agent his life. In the next novel, Dr. No, a certain Major Boothroyd recommends that Bond switch guns. Bond is issued a Walther PPK"

perhaps in the case of the 'Luftwaffe' jacket, the one we like to attribute to the German flyers is like the PPK...it's the one we think they should have...or should have worn

H.Johnson

One Too Many
OK - I take the Baron's point, we (or probably more accurately the manufacturers of reproduction jackets) need to attach some convenient label to describe (and possibly to increase the sales of) a garment. These names pass into common usage and are oftern hardly questioned. I think, however, the implications of calling something a 'Luftwaffe jacket' are not quite the same as calling something a 'Brando' or 'Waterfront' jacket as there are deeper psychological implications in the name.

A case in point. I have a black leather jacket, short to the waist, very slim cut, centre zip, two pockets, a press stud tab to the waist and sleeves. It was made after WW2 and states on the label 'London Made'. Not 'Made in Britain', or even England, but London. As in, the East End of London. Flattened by the Luftwaffe, including the factory of the company that made it, the area burned for days, thousands of people killed, tens of thousands of people spending their nights in underground shelters, etc. etc.

I think the label is saying proudly, 'We were bent by the Lufwaffe but not broken, and we are getting back on our feet again'. But - when I wear the jacket on 1940s days (like at my local steam railway) as part of a cyclist impression, people often ask, 'Is that a Luftwaffe jacket?' An innocent enough question perhaps, but what would those people who made that jacket feel about it being associated with their erstwhile oppressors? I think they'd hate it.

Second point. The jacket is in near to immaculate condition and has some charming period details such as a 'scale model' of a Lightning zip, the expected early model Newey press-studs and the same pattern of waist buckle as is found on wartime tropical shorts and trousers. These jackets are rare, as the nappa from which they are made is very fragile. I bought it for 30GBP, as a 1940s British civilian leather jacket. If it had been sold as a wartime Luftwaffe jacket, what would it fetch? A lot more than 30GBP, I bet. So, who is the winner here? In a word, sellers.

Take the 'Case, Box Respirator, Mark VII'. Millions were made and many were not even issued. They turn up regularly in surplus shops. Until recently the shops that I 'cruise' sold them for around 10GBP in unissued condition. Then they twigged that they were called by some people 'Indiana Jones satchels' or something and they immediately went up to 14GBP, which they are now. On the web these bags are sold more blatantly with the film connection for anything between 30 and 40 GBP. So, who wins here? Not the buyer. I like to buy original 1940s-60s British and Continental civilian cycling and motorcycling jackets. I like even more to buy them cheap. Wouldn't we all? My point is that if people start calling them all 'Luftwaffe jackets' because the style is similar, then I (and we) will end up paying a lot more.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
PauL NeWMAN DAYTONA/SteveMcQueenMonacoHEUER

tell me about it...i have been in the vintage watch business longer than enjoying mil jackets...

because the venerable paul newman was seen on a japanese movie poster of the movie 'winning' with a certain model rolex daytona, that thing has been outrageously expensive since the early 70s...

and because steve mcqueen pulled a heuer monaco out of a box of watches heuer had given jacky ickx to use promotionally, and mcqueen liked it enough to wear in the film 'lemans' while under ickx' race tutelage, that thing is now selling for $12000 (may go up in 10 minutes) while other brands of the period with the same case and cal 12 movement go for $800...and they go for that because people in the watch biz know it's the same guts in the movement as in the mcqueen 'monaco'

it's what we all love, that touch of the famous, the infamous, the touch of history...

you might as well get p*ssed at goring's boys for having good taste in jackets (tho bad taste in who to fly for) as getting upset with newman for making daytona watches unaffordable by most of us who love them...

but i do commiserate...steve mcqueen, thanks for making the monaco unaffordable by yours truly...

heuerChrono_add.jpg

H. Johnson. Unsurprisingly, we're on the same page. I am extremely interested in how images and ideas such as these become ingrained in the collective consciousness.

In this case, it seems to be a function of the sellers playing on an already existent idea, rather than them consciously creating the hype, which to paraphrase the eminent Flava Flav, we should not believe.

bk

Edward

Bartender
I would also add - in relation to eBay etc - that this sort of 'convenient labelling' feeds further confusion among those who either don't care to do their research or believe what they read from repro-sites. Much like the term "vintage" in relation to clothing now seems to mean little more than "second hand" to the average person in the street.

HJ - thanks for the further explanation regarding the leather Luftwaffe jacket. I must pick up a copy of that book.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
What I din't understand

You see a lot of pictures or film of civilians wearing jackets that were originally military with casual or 'street' clothing. Think of Brando in the Waterfront, Stanley Baker in Hell Drivers, etc. etc. That I understand, as I grew up with it. It's a cheap, functional (and sometimes stylish) way to dress. What I don't understand about the LW flying jacket phenomenon is this - perhaps The Baron can explain.

You take a civilian jacket (that would originally have been worn with casual or 'street' clothing), produce a reproduction that you give a military label to (LW in this case), people 'buy into' the image and are prepared to pay more for the jacket than they would probably pay for an original, then they wear it with casual or 'street' clothing, as the original jacket was intended to be worn.

I could understand re-enactors wanting a reproduction LW jacket as part of a LW impression, but if they want a jacket to wear as a casual civilian jacket, why not buy a civilian jacket in the first place? Maybe it's me. but that seems flawed thinking.

I think Lewis are offering a lead here, by reproducing (or re-introducing) a 1960s civilian jacket to a high standard. Now, dare I suggest that some manufacturer could do the same for 50s and 40s civilian jackets without falling prey to the temptation to 'militarize' them?

Incidentally, one of the manufacturers of reproduction jackets 'as worn by LW fliers' used to state that there were no issue LW leather jackets (that's possibly where the 'received wisdom' came from). Now they say that the only leather the LW used was 'two piece leather suits'. Well, I don't know about you people, but I call the top part of a two piece suit a jacket. If that rules out an item being a jacket, the 'Irvin', B-3, B-10, B-15, AN-J-4 etc were not jackets!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I think the basis for the "no issue leather jacket" wisdom/thing, was regarding the BoB and early War period- reiterating that all "these" jackets were commercial jackets. There was also a clause in this wisdom, which stated... "...issue jacket late in the War". This "wisdom" was for the information of those with zero knowledge of the jackets worn early in the early War - the ones popularised, romanticised and myhtologised.
I think this was correct.

I have the RAFvs.LW book, among others.

B
T

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Now, that is correct. If you don't count sheepskin as 'leather', of course.

BellyTank said:
I think the basis for the "no issue leather jacket" wisdom/thing, was regarding the BoB and early War period- reiterating that all "these" jackets were commercial jackets.

B
T

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
waHHHHHHHHHHHH!

yes, i guess i'm like that...i had a girlfriend who had one big toe about two inches two short on her right foot...otherwise i was physically crazy about her

i always blocked that out during...you know...but in the end, i fear, that might have been a deal breaker too...as it was, she dropped mE (probably a good idea)

so, for my 35" arms i find when i am driving, and i would be using the Lewis to drive, the sleeve just a tad too short with my arms fully extended in front of me...it is longer than the original Luftwaffe jacket sleeves if you look at all those ww2 pix, but i've got the long arms

glad this jacket didn't have toes

but seriously, it is very sad, it is an amazing jacket...though i wouldn't shorten my arms to fit it ;)

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
johnnyjohnny said:
well Edward, i CouLD wear my new jacke with a coLLar and tiE...however, i might look a bit tOO much like one of goring's crew>>>

johnnyjohnnyluftwaffe.jpg

Actually, minus the Luftwaffe Eagle, and the shoulder boards, I like the brown jacket better. It has a little more character. Where can I find one like that without spending as much as I would on a small car?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
the NY doLLz...er, BerLin doLLz

LoneRanger...you wouldn't have to arrange a Loan (bad pun) to buy the jacket you see me photoshopped into on the pic above...

it's from a liTTLe jacket on a liTTLe doLL from an image i googled on...well, google images...i think these sell for under $20 on ebay...they are 1/6th scale

they look incrediBLe...better than eastman...better than the original Luftwaffe...only trouble is, they might be a little small ;)

Edward

Bartender
Alternatively, for one you could actually wear.... ;) I think you could come up with something very similar by talking to Aero about customising a 30s half-belt design. From memory, that would entail adding an extra chest zip pocket, mouting the hand pockets horizontally instead of slanted, and adding a flap over the top of them. doesn't seem excessive to me, especially not when Aero are by reputation so ready to work on customisations.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Say Johnny, very nice jacket. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
It reminds of a much cherished motorcycle jacket I had years ago. Done up with brass hardware instead of the nickle that seems to be on yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24