Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LUFTWAFFE jackets - Eagles who Dare to Wear..!

Edward

Bartender
Might this 'non-returnable' element be at the root of the reported reluctance to make changes to jackets being sold to retailers? Or is it more likely that such variations on individual jackets in a bulk order simnply aren't practical (in terms of what they keep in stock etc)?

Dieter

New in Town
A less expensive reproduction version of the cotton fleigerjacke can be made to order from SM Wholesale of Huntington Park, CA. The web link is : http://www.smwholesale.com/0015.html
These are manufactured primarily for both film use and World War 2 reenactors, and if ordered without breast insignia, make for fine everyday wear.

borders_fiend

New in Town
Luftwaffe

I haven't got any pictures available but I got an Eastman Luftwaffe last year. It came quickly (much less than their quoted 4 weeks) and it is probably the nicest jacket I have (my last count about 20).

I can say that it looks exactly like it does on the site! The Eastman pictures are very good (I have three of their jackets).

It is a close fit - I got a 40 as usual, and I wouldn't want to wear it over a thick sweater. Quality of leather is great but not that heavy. It is soft and needs no breaking in at all. Zips are beautiful.

Only drawback - sleeves are lined in moleskin same as body. Can restrict movement slightly. The WW1 coat does have satin sleeves and is perhaps even better quality.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Luftwaffe jackets - for historic accuracy

These Luftwaffe jacket photos feature my grandfather's classmate:

HartmanPottyondy-1.jpg

pottyondy_1.jpg

László Pottyondy together with the two greatest fighter pilots of all time, Erich Hartmann and Gerhard Barkhorn.
(from Bernd Barbas collection)

World War II
' On March 1, 1942, the air force was returned to army control. In the summer of 1942 an air brigade was attached to the Luftwaffe's VIII Fliegerkorps on the Eastern Front. Beginning March 1944, Allied bomber raids began on Hungary and progressively increased in intensity.
Late in 1944 all efforts were redirected towards countering the advancing Soviet Army, but to no avail. All fighting in Hungary ended on April 16, 1945'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Air_Force

Living history>
http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/90853/6451911.html

Lt GUSTL

New in Town
Servus from Vienna,

many thanks for the excellent pictures.

Here is my old leather jacket. I bought it on the flee market in the mid 80s.

That kind of jacket was worn by actors in local TV series, or known "folk" singers (like Mr. Resetarits aka "Dr. Kurt Ostbahn") during the 70s & 80s.

Fortunately for some guys, they can now sell these kind of jackets for more then the flee markets average price of 150 Euro online as Luftwaffe jackets.

kindest regards :)

Front:
Front_1.jpg

Zipp:
Pocket_Zipp.jpg

Back:
Back.jpg

Lining:
Inner.jpg

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Lt GUSTL said:
Fortunately for some guys, they can now sell these kind of jackets for more then the flee markets average price of 150 Euro online as Luftwaffe jackets.

Im starting to think that theres been more "genuine Luftwaffe" jackets on ebay than the amount of pilots ever in the Luftwaffe...

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
haPPy smiLing faces

given the date of the picture, one wonders why these fliers are smiling...reminds me of lyrics from the song 'mad world'...

"'And I find it kind of funny, find it kind of sad,
the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I 've ever had"

remarkable picture...thanks

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Very nice Luftwaffe jacket cloudspotter, Im hoping to get the Hartmann model myself sometime in the next couple months, Im currently agonizing over the sizing though, not sure whether to go go for a 42 long or 42 extra long. (adds an 1" and 1 1/2" repectively to torso and arms)

thanks hawk_eye - for me, neither body nor arms seem too short to add some more material; just the other way 'round: i do not like it when the jacket arms "crumpling" up too much. even when i'm driving or flying with arms extended, the ones from the Luftwaffe are not too short. i would be cautous with adding. on the other hand: as the luftwaffe has zippered arms with "end panel", you might shorten them if the arms show too long. but not the jacket lenght: if you cut it from the bottom, you will immediately reach the pocket entries as they are very down low.

if you go for the far most original style (or at least what is to be seen on most of the original pictures) you go for the short version.

on the other hand: what is the benefit of a "damn'-near-to-the-original-look-at-the-picture-it's-really-the-same!" when you feel uncomfortable in it and do not wear the beauty?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Lt GUSTL said:
Servus from Vienna,

here is an additional photo made by a PK photographer, dated 10.2.44.

kindest regards :)

pb_LW_P_2_front.jpg

Great! This shows the difficulty of dating photographs by the artifacts in them... Look at the model in the guy's hand!

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
OK, so I was shot in France wearing mine...
damntourist.jpg

Its the US repro with the nasty interior and ampit vents... theres more pics in another thread somewhere...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran