Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luggage

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
You can indeed Eddie, we've quite a few and use them for storing stuff in the loft room, never paid more than a tenner....apart from being given slightly out of shape it's very good I'm pretty sure I can get that out.
I've an all leather travelling gents overnight case complete with full grooming set with razor etc....retailed by Harrods....It weighs a ton empty!....and it was a bit more than a tenner!!!

Setok

New in Town
I have just returned from a work trip oversea with yet another suitcase worn out. Alas it seems they just don't last these days. It's not the cases, I suspect, but rather the ill-treatment to which they are subjected by baggage handlers the world over. I've been lusting after the likes of Globe Trotter, or Rimowa's sturdy options, and I would still adore to have a Saddleback Leather case. Financially, alas, these remain out of reach. I suspect I may have to resign myself to something hideous again for hold baggage. For trips not involving air-travel, however, I'm leaning in favour of trying one of these:

http://www.manufactum.co.uk/suitcases-cardboard-wood-strips-black-p1410892/

Anyone have any experience? And on the broader matter of hold-baggage, anyone found anything affordable that isn't also hideous? I'm thinking of a Mossman trunk, but that might be overkill size-wise....
This is an old, old thread, I know, but seeing as I happen to have a good bit of experience with both Rimowa and the aforementioned cardboard suitcase I thought it might be valuable to someone for me to chime in.

First off I bought an aluminium Rimowa after a series of other pieces of luggage breaking. Sure, I could just buy more, but that process is very tiring after a while. I do also have awkward requirements for most of the items I use: I don't like to use plastic, I'd like something with a bit of tradition, but also not something that shouts 'poser'. I had even tried one other aluminium suitcase, but it broke after a few trips (sheet aluminium on some fibreboard structure). The Rimowa has now handled many years of abuse, including some periods of extensive travel. It's a check in sized suitcase so always gets the hard treatment. It has had one wheel break, which was repaired for free by Rimowa. It is scratched, and lightly dented, and has a few stickers, but I wear those with a sense of pride, and have not asked Rimowa for them to be knocked flat. They don't affect the luggage functionally. The only bit that bothers me is that the leather handle at the top (it was from the range called 'Classic' at the time) has caused the top to be bent inwards because of the airport bashing. It would be better if there was an extra latch there for security, or if the handle somehow could lie flat. So from that point of view I am very happy with that purchase, and it gives me peace of mind when travelling. It would take extraordinary effort to bash it so badly as to cause damage to belongings. I reckon that by now I have also saved money by not constantly buying new suitcases.

Having said that, Rimowa's prices have gone up massively since the acquisition by Louis Vuitton. Some time in the future I will need a new carry-on and I was eyeing Rimowa, but at the current prices, and with the current economy, I'm not at all sure I'll go that way. In fact even Globe-Trotter seems like a better option. I'm not sure what the other good options might be. Since I last looked there have appeared many new suitcase brands that sell aluminium, but almost all of them are manufactured in China, which I would not be overly pleased with.

Now onto the cardboard suitcases sold by Manufactum. They are actually made by an old Czech factory that the family originally lost in the Soviet times, but managed to recover afterwards. They are, I believe, the only factory in the world that still makes cardboard luggage. Back in the day there were more brands doing that, and even Audrey Hepburn travelled to the US for the first time with a cardboard suitcase. I have used one for many years as a carryon and for short car or boat trips. It hasn't seen the same kind of abuse that the Rimowa has (it has never had to be checked in), but it has been out and about regularly. At the same time I have to be honest: I don't believe it would survive Rimowa level abuse (disclaimer: I haven't seen the ones in checked luggage size). While the cardboard is better than your average package of Corn Flakes, and the frame is nice and stiff, the wrap is nowhere near as sturdy as Rimowa's alumimium (or, I suspect, the vulcanised fibre used by Globe-Trotter and a couple others). The cardboard is actually not, I feel, as durable as that used in vintage suitcases I've seen. One reason for that could be it is made from recycled pulp, which will lose some strength (you can tell it's recycled because it's grey), whereas vintage suitcases often had virgin cardboard (brown). Also cardboard is susceptible to wet conditions. The coating will protect from the odd splash, but a heavy downpour can make it soft. The layers of cardboard can also rub off with wear, particularly on the edges. That has happened to mine and I believe it will not survive for very much longer.

That might not sound like a recommendation, but think of it more like expectation management. For the price you are still getting a handcrafted piece of history which looks wonderful, has worked for me as a conversation opener, and which is not useless as a functional piece of equipment. It's not as weak as you might think, and when lightly worn, it shows character. It should give you a good few nice memories, or possibly one big bad one if checked in (I would like to see someone try though!).

Finally the Manufactum versions do not have wheels. That I admit to being a nuisance. It's not the end of the world to carry it around (the suitcase is much lighter than many modern jobs!), and it gives you a sense of the good old days, but it would be more comfortable to roll it. I have been in contact with the factory some while back, and it is possible to get a wheeled version from them, which looks amazing, but it would have to be done as a bulk order. If there was interest in that, I might be tempted to co-ordinate it, as I've even been thinking about doing an online shop to sell them.

Edward

Bartender
This is an old, old thread, I know, but seeing as I happen to have a good bit of experience with both Rimowa and the aforementioned cardboard suitcase I thought it might be valuable to someone for me to chime in.

First off I bought an aluminium Rimowa after a series of other pieces of luggage breaking. Sure, I could just buy more, but that process is very tiring after a while. I do also have awkward requirements for most of the items I use: I don't like to use plastic, I'd like something with a bit of tradition, but also not something that shouts 'poser'. I had even tried one other aluminium suitcase, but it broke after a few trips (sheet aluminium on some fibreboard structure). The Rimowa has now handled many years of abuse, including some periods of extensive travel. It's a check in sized suitcase so always gets the hard treatment. It has had one wheel break, which was repaired for free by Rimowa. It is scratched, and lightly dented, and has a few stickers, but I wear those with a sense of pride, and have not asked Rimowa for them to be knocked flat. They don't affect the luggage functionally. The only bit that bothers me is that the leather handle at the top (it was from the range called 'Classic' at the time) has caused the top to be bent inwards because of the airport bashing. It would be better if there was an extra latch there for security, or if the handle somehow could lie flat. So from that point of view I am very happy with that purchase, and it gives me peace of mind when travelling. It would take extraordinary effort to bash it so badly as to cause damage to belongings. I reckon that by now I have also saved money by not constantly buying new suitcases.

Having said that, Rimowa's prices have gone up massively since the acquisition by Louis Vuitton. Some time in the future I will need a new carry-on and I was eyeing Rimowa, but at the current prices, and with the current economy, I'm not at all sure I'll go that way. In fact even Globe-Trotter seems like a better option. I'm not sure what the other good options might be. Since I last looked there have appeared many new suitcase brands that sell aluminium, but almost all of them are manufactured in China, which I would not be overly pleased with.

Now onto the cardboard suitcases sold by Manufactum. They are actually made by an old Czech factory that the family originally lost in the Soviet times, but managed to recover afterwards. They are, I believe, the only factory in the world that still makes cardboard luggage. Back in the day there were more brands doing that, and even Audrey Hepburn travelled to the US for the first time with a cardboard suitcase. I have used one for many years as a carryon and for short car or boat trips. It hasn't seen the same kind of abuse that the Rimowa has (it has never had to be checked in), but it has been out and about regularly. At the same time I have to be honest: I don't believe it would survive Rimowa level abuse (disclaimer: I haven't seen the ones in checked luggage size). While the cardboard is better than your average package of Corn Flakes, and the frame is nice and stiff, the wrap is nowhere near as sturdy as Rimowa's alumimium (or, I suspect, the vulcanised fibre used by Globe-Trotter and a couple others). The cardboard is actually not, I feel, as durable as that used in vintage suitcases I've seen. One reason for that could be it is made from recycled pulp, which will lose some strength (you can tell it's recycled because it's grey), whereas vintage suitcases often had virgin cardboard (brown). Also cardboard is susceptible to wet conditions. The coating will protect from the odd splash, but a heavy downpour can make it soft. The layers of cardboard can also rub off with wear, particularly on the edges. That has happened to mine and I believe it will not survive for very much longer.

That might not sound like a recommendation, but think of it more like expectation management. For the price you are still getting a handcrafted piece of history which looks wonderful, has worked for me as a conversation opener, and which is not useless as a functional piece of equipment. It's not as weak as you might think, and when lightly worn, it shows character. It should give you a good few nice memories, or possibly one big bad one if checked in (I would like to see someone try though!).

Finally the Manufactum versions do not have wheels. That I admit to being a nuisance. It's not the end of the world to carry it around (the suitcase is much lighter than many modern jobs!), and it gives you a sense of the good old days, but it would be more comfortable to roll it. I have been in contact with the factory some while back, and it is possible to get a wheeled version from them, which looks amazing, but it would have to be done as a bulk order. If there was interest in that, I might be tempted to co-ordinate it, as I've even been thinking about doing an online shop to sell them.

Thank-you, that is helpful. At that point I ended up buying a cheap case on the market. This time, it was destroyed by baggage handlers at Heathrow after its first trip (ripped the handle off the top and the end of it clean open) - literally the second time it had been used, the first being the flight out on the same trip. Fortunately, I was flying business with Finnair; they deal with it wonderfully at Heathrow, all done and in, and a week later a (much more expensive) Antler case arrived at my door. One of those plastic hard cases that have give in them so they are protected but won't split. It is, of course, aesthetically unpleasant as fornication, but it does the job and I've resigned myself to that for hold baggage. Sticking to using the nice stuff for carry-on, and the train....

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Luggage is something that I do not like to think about. My travels find me depending that my "kit" arrive safely and I can go on to do what I enjoy doing.
I travel, pre and post covid issues quite a bit and I check my luggage usually and carry on infrequently. I travel in the US (domestically) at least once a month and elsewhere (internationally) at least once a year.

I have gone through 2 sets of Briggs and Riley luggage since 1993. The company is known for its "Simple as that" lifetime guarantee that even covers damage caused by an airline. My luggage wore out from frequent use, not any particular damage. My two former luggage carryons went through many sets of wheels and small repairs to the cases before they needed retiring. My local dealer gave me trade-ins on the much used luggage. I am on my third piece of Briggs and Riley luggage. https://www.briggs-riley.com/collections/carry-on-luggage/products/essential-2-wheel-carry-on

My current black two wheel is terrific! (I choose 2 wheel option as I desire the increase of internal space that 2 wheels vs. 4 wheels provides.) It meets US and foreign air travel size requirements. My current one, new in 2019 has lots of travel miles on it and it does not show it. The solid frame, expandable capabilities, garment panels, wheels and handles have made it it a winner. Super durable. The guarantee - dynamite. It may be pricey, but I do not have to think about it.

Luggage for me, needs to do its job and let me enjoy mine.

I hope I have contributed to this thread with the sharing my personal choice of luggage.

Cheers, Eric -

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I know where you're coming from - that's what I've been doing for the last decade or so. My problem is I don't want new and shiny, I want old-style and classy! ;)
suitcase.jpg
Well said that man. Tell you what Edward, I know that you are a fan of UK retro festivals, the Goodwood Revival is coming up next weekend, are you going?
My missus just happened to spot the sort of suitcase that you are seeking over twenty years ago at the Goodwood Revival. The amount of traders and products there are second to none.
Unfortunately, we are unable to date the suitcase, but the four twenty pound notes that I parted with says it's probably rare. One criteria that you touched on, baggage handlers, none have yet to make an impression on this case. In the 21 years we have had it you could say twenty one nil to the suitcase.

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 450973
Well said that man. Tell you what Edward, I know that you are a fan of UK retro festivals, the Goodwood Revival is coming up next weekend, are you going?
My missus just happened to spot the sort of suitcase that you are seeking over twenty years ago at the Goodwood Revival. The amount of traders and products there are second to none.
Unfortunately, we are unable to date the suitcase, but the four twenty pound notes that I parted with says it's probably rare. One criteria that you touched on, baggage handlers, none have yet to make an impression on this case. In the 21 years we have had it you could say twenty one nil to the suitcase.

That is a nice case. I have half an idea once we get to the 'forever home' stage (which is not, we intended, to be our present location), that I want to pick up a few things like this for at least home storage - much nicer looking than a lot of available alternatives, at least for stuff that doesn't need to be airtight.

We're not doing the Revival this year; we've been quite a few years working it with The Chap, but they haven't yet brought us back post-Covid. I think last year a lot of the entertainment side of things was cut back markedly post-Covid; not sure how it's working this year. Obviously recent events are too recent to have had anything to do with the originally-booked programme, though in any case I don't imagine we would fit with their indicated desire to have a tributes-and-black-armbands atmosphere onsite now. There have been a lot of changes in the Revival organisation in recent years, several new brooms deciding to try a lot of different stuff. I suppose they do need to keep it fresh, though I rather miss some of the things of the past. The loss of the mods and rockers rumble was a shame (as I heard the story, though not from anyone in an official decision making role, so could be just rumour... they wanted to hire some younger actors to do it in place of the regular folks - but they still wanted the use of their bikes and such.... Not sure what that was about, aesthetics, health and safety, whatever, but that's now a thing that no longer happens). Hopefully things will roll around our direction again in time. I expect next year's Revival will end up having a much jollier atmosphere.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Have you ever gone to Twinwood, Edward? Twinwood farm was commandeered to become an airbase during WW2. Twinwood Farm was also where USAAF Major Glenn Miller's aircraft took off on 15 December 1944 for Paris. His plane disappeared over the English Channel and was never found. https://twinwoodevents.com/

We went back there this year after a three year break, it was a sell out, so much to see and do, they really were the prescription for Covid cabin fever.

Just getting back to your search, I remember picking up a unique suitcase at The Rhythm Riot, I have posted it here before, but so rare is it, it's worth another outing. It's a suitcase just for your shoes.

shoe collection 1.jpg

That is a nice case. I have half an idea once we get to the 'forever home' stage (which is not, we intended, to be our present location), that I want to pick up a few things like this for at least home storage - much nicer looking than a lot of available alternatives, at least for stuff that doesn't need to be airtight.
Vintage luggage has been brought up from time to time in other threads here.

I have a few pieces myself, none of which I use for travel. Back in the days before wheels on suitcases were ubiquitous, a common bit in comedies was the out-of-towners awkwardly shlepping their luggage through hotel lobbies and city sidewalks, etc.

I came upon this trunk a couple-three or four years ago, and snapped it up at a price I normally wouldn’t pay for such a thing (a couple hundred bucks, if memory serves) because it’s of the right dimensions for use as a coffee table. In my browsings through places where such items as old trunks might be found I hadn’t ever before come across the right one.

It rests atop of pair of roughly 16-inch 2x2’s. I cringe just a little when I see holes drilled into old trunks, which pretty well destroys their integrity as trunks, especially when it isn’t at all necessary to the purposes for which they are being put.

3A3F9569-17E5-4395-8622-0894F0E37174.jpeg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We're not doing the Revival this year; we've been quite a few years working it with The Chap, but they haven't yet brought us back post-Covid.

Vintage luggage has been brought up from time to time in other threads here.

I have a few pieces myself, none of which I use for travel. Back in the days before wheels on suitcases were ubiquitous, a common bit in comedies was the out-of-towners awkwardly shlepping their luggage through hotel lobbies and city sidewalks, etc.

I came upon this trunk a couple-three or four years ago, and snapped it up at a price I normally wouldn’t pay for such a thing (a couple hundred bucks, if memory serves) because it’s of the right dimensions for use as a coffee table. In my browsings through places where such items as old trunks might be found I hadn’t ever before come across the right one.

It rests atop of pair of roughly 16-inch 2x2’s. I cringe just a little when I see holes drilled into old trunks, which pretty well destroys their integrity as trunks, especially when it isn’t at all necessary to the purposes for which they are being put.

View attachment 451025
That is fabulous Tony, I love it. In my shirt collection are a couple that depict suitcases of the era, just the thing to inspire Edward in his search:
shirts 140.JPG shirts 141.JPG shirts 142.JPG shirts 143.JPG

^^^^^
Harkening to the days when luggage told a story. Hotels used to give decals proclaiming the hotel name to guests to attach to their luggage. Free advertising, right?
I’ve posted a photo of the unused Little America decal before. When it came my way it was accompanied by a handwritten note on Little America stationery dated January 6, 1941.
FBEC3EA3-0044-46FB-90EB-898564557C80.jpeg
3899D401-A2AB-4BC3-A55D-7BEDE99ECAD6.jpeg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I, of course, have that big polyester bag luggage that just about everybody else has too, but one of my favorite pieces of travel luggage is this old cotton twill and leather duffle that belonged to my dad. Sure, it's seen better days and the leather is beginning to dry and crack, but when packing for just a week, it's my absolute go-to.

I've no idea the brand, but knowing my parent's shopping habits, I'd say either Fossil, LL Bean, or Eddie Bauer. My Dad was going to throw it away when cleaning out his closet one day, and I saw it and was like, "no way, I want that!"
t191jPa.png

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I, of course, have that big polyester bag luggage that just about everybody else has too, but one of my favorite pieces of travel luggage is this old cotton twill and leather duffle that belonged to my dad. Sure, it's seen better days and the leather is beginning to dry and crack, but when packing for just a week, it's my absolute go-to.

I've no idea the brand, but knowing my parent's shopping habits, I'd say either Fossil, LL Bean, or Eddie Bauer. My Dad was going to throw it away when cleaning out his closet one day, and I saw it and was like, "no way, I want that!"
t191jPa.png
So glad you rescued that duffel bag, I would be more than happy to own such a lived in, with a story to tell, kind of bag. It's fabulous, well done you, easy to see why you weren't about to let your Dad dispose of it.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
I travel mostly with carry on only and my Ghurka No 2 is my go to bag for vintage inspired travel. I've got two of them, both Marley Hodgeson era manufactured in the '80's. The leather is like butter and the twill is soft as silk. They also happen to make great panniers for my bike!

Attachments

• IMG_6215.JPG
    IMG_6215.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 55

WIguy

New in Town
Nice airhead, Wine guy!

Here's where I weigh in on luggage:
Buy heavy-duty stuff whenever possible - as long as it comes at a 'disposable' price. I 'blew a tread' last week on my go-to roll-aboard. Managed to find replacement skate wheels on Amazon for $12 for the pair. Off to see if they work today.
(If you look, you can find wheels with most dimensional combos - so it's possible...)

WIguy

New in Town
...not that I don't like nice things - but the compromise comes when they cost more, you worry about them, and they aren't as convenient as something that's cheap.

I gave up on duffel bags long ago for biz travel. Just hurt your shoulder too much.

T.J. Max and similar places seem to have decent stuff. Look for sturdy latches and wheels, and you're golden.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points