Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lush Life

MissKrystal

New in Town
Lush is quite popular here in Canada as well, they have so many good products. I use Sweet Japanese Girl cleansing bar for my face, I find it keeps my skin clear. I also really like their Fever solid perfume and massage bar, I love the scent, it is worth checking out. Their Black Magic massage bar is also nice! I've never tried their haircare products but I have heard very good things, that they are very moisturizing.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
At the moment I love to use this body powder after showering....

silkyunderwear.jpg

... and then I take a Soft Coeur massage bar and rub it on my neck & arms...
2132.jpg

...makes me smell so delicious :eek:

Other things I have tried from LUSH:

• several soaps - smell wonderful but are far too drying, hate them
  • Ultra Bland - awesome eye makeup cleanser!!
  • Snake Oil - the best therapy for a dry, flaky scalp :eusa_clap
  • AOBS - got terrible break outs
  • AC Conditioner - smells *yucky*, no effect on my hair at all

CheshireKat

New in Town
I love Lush for occasional treats. I try to keep life simple and don't buy much in the way of toiletries and beauty products at all, but they're my preferred port of call when I do want to buy such things because they're more environmentally and socially responsible than most. They have excellent customer service, too.

The Spouse tends to get over-excited about visiting or ordering from them, so I tend to bin the catalogue!

I used their henna block and got a gorgeous colour from it. That said, I think a good, pure henna powder's a better bet. StaceFace's post linked to Henna For Hair, which I think gives really fantastic information.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I know this is an old thread, but I just discovered a local shop. Sure, the bath products smell lovely, but how are their skin care products? I'm looking for a new facial cleanser and moisturizer that's good for dry and sensitive skin. Most of their stuff seems to be for oily or blemish prone skin. Do any of the "ladies of a certain age" use their products? I've been using the Aveda allsensitive line, but it's very pricey.

Blondie

Practically Family
kamikat said:
I know this is an old thread, but I just discovered a local shop. Sure, the bath products smell lovely, but how are their skin care products? I'm looking for a new facial cleanser and moisturizer that's good for dry and sensitive skin. Most of their stuff seems to be for oily or blemish prone skin. Do any of the "ladies of a certain age" use their products? I've been using the Aveda allsensitive line, but it's very pricey.
Kamikat i just love the baby face cleanser in the winter when my sensitive skin gets dryer. It last a really long time as well.
I am of that certain age you mentioned ;)
http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/face/cleansers/baby-face

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Again, i feel that people who have sensitive skin should stay away from Lush products i know that some like Lush, but if you have sensitive skin BEWARE!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
Again, i feel that people who have sensitive skin should stay away from Lush products i know that some like Lush, but if you have sensitive skin BEWARE!

I have to agree with Hadley H, I know lots of people like Lush, but speaking personally, I bought this http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/visage/hydratants/paradis-retrouve and it brought me out in a rash. If you want to try Lush products I would definitely ask for samples before buying.

zombi

A-List Customer
dollydaydream said:
They tell me it's all natural so no allergic reaction but for some reason it really irritates my skin.
Lush's products are not exactly all natural. Their shampoos, for example, contain chemical sulfates.

I like Lush, but they phased out or discontinued almost everything they used to make that I enjoyed, so I don't really shop there much any more. There are better (and cheaper) handmade, natural bath products available on places like Etsy (try the shop BathLife!) that I like better, found less irritating to the skin, and could more easily afford.

And there's always the option of making your own! ;)

pumori

New in Town
lyburnum said:
Apparently where off the shelf chemical dyes basically raise the cuticles in your hair, and deposit the dye underneath it, henna breaks down the hair instead, which is why you get such shiny hair afterwards. However, this is really, really bad for your hair, and if you use it too much you'll destroy your hair.

Honestly, I've never heard this before! Most of the research I've done when trying to grow my hair out said that Henna was the best option for dyeing hair, because it deposits the color on top of the hair shaft and coats it, rather than sinks into it- I had heard the reason for the shine was just the protective conditioning that the 'shield' of henna particles on your hair gives. I doubt it's possible for henna to break down your hair, although it is difficult to apply (I was never bothered by the muddy feel but I'm sure it gets to some people), and even harder to remove.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:

Sadly this is a statement for ALL products...not just Lush.

anyone can have a reaction to anything...no matter what the labels say about the ingredients..etc.

someone can be just as allergic to a natural ingredient as they can a chemical and vice versa.

The Beware applies to all things past water...and heck....some of us are semi allergic to that too....:eek:

zombi

A-List Customer
Well, okay, first -- the henna sold by Lush is not pure. Their henna is mixed with cocoa butter and other things. Pure henna is just powder. I can't speak for the quality of Lush henna as I decided not to use it based on their additives.

However...:
lyburnum said:
APparently where off the shelf chemical dyes basically raise the cuticles in your hair, and deposit the dye underneath it, henna breaks down the hair instead, which is why you get such shiny hair afterwards. However, this is really, really bad for your hair, and if you use it too much you'll destroy your hair.

This is definitely not true of pure henna! Most often when hairdressers freak out that you are using henna, they are thinking of henna compounds, which is what reacts with chemical treatments. Some additives may include metallic salts, which though they will help the color move towards something other than red, it can react with chemically treated hair, turning it green or black, or even causing it to smoke. These are the henna compounds. But pure, straight henna, the body art quality kind you would use to do mendhi on hands, it is not damaging for the hair.

The lawsone (dye) molecule goes into the hair it penetrates the hair shaft some, binding with the keratin in the hair. This makes hair stronger, but also is one of the qualities that makes henna removal near impossible. Henna also coats the hair and fills in rough spots on a frayed cuticle. It is a permeable coating that does not lock moisture out. The henna helps fill in rough spots on the cuticle. With the cuticle rough edges smoothed over the hair feels smoother and the cuticle takes a lot less damage during combing and manipulation. It takes several days for Henna to stabilize. It becomes more flexible and durable as it oxidizes and cures--it is in fact a plant resin that is flexible and solvent enough to penetrate the hair at the cuticle, carrying pigment with it.

Sorry to :eek:fftopic: soap-box, but I am really passionate about henna colouring :eek: carry on!!

To return to Lush-ness, I did buy a bar of the 13 Unlucky for Dirt soap recently -- mm! It smells great!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I have super sensative skin, and it is because of this that I use LUSH. Most chemical enhanced products are horrible for me. I find that LUSH is much gentler and nurishing for my skin. I will say though that I have to stay away from their moisturizers as they are too heavy in oils for me (which is just as bad as the super drying chemicals), but the cleansers, fresh face masks, and soaps work wonders for me.

I just got some LUSH the other day and have been fighting the urge to just use them all day long! I have to be good. But damn, how I want to be bad!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Well, then we will have to agree to disagree.

Lush doesn't work for me (and for a few others, according to this thread).

As Lolly_loisides suggested if you have never used Lush before, it could be a good idea to ask for samples before buying. :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
LolitaHaze said:
been fighting the urge to just use them all day long! I have to be good. But damn, how I want to be bad!
Your recent blog post is the reason I decided to see if there was a local shop :D

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
KamiKat... Yay! Now all I need to do is turn you into a LUSHIE and I shall rule the world! Hahaha. The first LUSH products I recieved was Honey I Washed the Kids soap that my girlfriend brought back from England for me. I was HOOKED mmmmm. So when her and I went to our local LUSH there after I picked up some more HIWtK and bought some Aqua Marina. I would suggest this would be a good place for you to start. It isn't super oily and it doesn't dry me out.

Another suggestion I have is when you go in, pick up a cut or two of the soaps you like the smell of. I ask for a 5$ cut (or close to) and usually end up with a 4-8$ cut. Tell the SA that you really want to try thier cleansers, but since you have sensative skin are a bit weary to buy before you try. Ask them what they recommend and ask if you may have a sample. (I will ask for a sample for every 1-2 products I buy, but I don't get greedy, maybe 3 samples at most per visit.) For the most part they *should* be willing to give samples so long as you are purchasing as well. I say should because UI can only go by my local SA's. Who are always helpful and gracious.

Back to the products... Aqua Marina and coalface work well for me, but coal face may be too drying for you. Fresh Farmacy will probably be drying too, but less than coal face. Herbalish and Angels on Bare Skin didn't do much for me, but may be ok with you and not too drying. Their moisturizers are too heavy in oils for me, but if you have dry skin, they may be perfect for you. If you get samples of these make sure you still have some of your current favourite moisturizer and not relying on the samples. That way you can switch back. For example Gorgeous broke me out miserably the next day, I let my skin calm down to try again and once again a major flare up. I still needed a moisturizer in the meantime, but couldn't use Gorgeous.

I am rambling... I have some Aqua Marina and coalface if you (KamiKat) want to try I can send you a bit of mine. Email me at LolitaHaze1@gmail.com if you would like. Otherwise buy some soaps you like for sure and then sample their face products. If you like some go back buy the face stuff you liked and ask for a sample of one you haven't tried.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Oh Lush, i swear that some of their soaps looks and smells soo nice!! it makes me wanna eat the stuff!!! can you believe it!!lol

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Lorena B said:
Oh Lush, i swear that some of their soaps looks and smells soo nice!! it makes me wanna eat the stuff!!! can you believe it!!lol

I can believe it... I have thus far avoided the temptation. :)

jayem

A-List Customer
So, me and my friend are Lushheads. We actually became friends with the workers and can spend up to hours chatting with them. I swear by their Catastrophe Cosmetic facial mask. I use it every night (mixed with Love Lettuce) on my cheeks.

ALWAYS ASK FOR SAMPLES!!! They will be more than happy to give you a sample of a product you're interested in.

My current beauty regime is pretty much all Lush. I bathe with Alkmaar soap in the summer and Ring of Roses in the winter. I wash my face in the morning with Angels On Bareskin (which is a medieval beauty recipe), tone with Eau Roma, and moisturize with Vanishing Cream.

PS

A-List Customer
I avoided LUSH for many many many years. Being within ten feet of a store makes me sneeze. I kept hearing about Silky Underwear and on a whim stopped in to try the body powder. I left with the Vanilla powder and a sample of the bubble bath for my kids. I have since returned returned for the Buffy the backside slayer bar. I am addicted. I could use an entire bar every shower. I don't see myself buying much else, the prices bug me for what you get. I would rather pay 25 bucks for a jar of Philosophy scrub that will last for months instead of bar that last a few weeks. But what I love about Buffy is the Cocoa butter it leaves on my skin do I don't need to moisturize when I get out of the shower, or I can because in the winter my body turns into a scab. For my money its two Buffy's a month and that is it!

pumori

New in Town
zombi said:
Well, okay, first -- the henna sold by Lush is not pure. Their henna is mixed with cocoa butter and other things. Pure henna is just powder. I can't speak for the quality of Lush henna as I decided not to use it based on their additives.

It's true that Lush doesn't use 'pure' henna, but I checked the list of additives for the henna blocks; they just throw in cocoa butter, some lemon juice sometimes, all the things that people are recommended to mix henna powder with to get maximum color and conditioning. I think the only difference in using henna powder is the amount of control you get when mixing it, which is beneficial. The thing that turned me on to Lush henna was that the Caca Noir gave a nice blue-black color without PPD. They mix with indigo to achieve darker colors, which is a safe method- they even warn you not to trust anything labeled 'black henna' without checking for chemical additives (because the only true color that henna yields is red). I've been using their henna for a while and I've had absolutely no bad reactions, and my hair looks healthier too! The only problem I have with Lush right now is the high cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails