Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

m 43 field caps

Maguire

Practically Family
I just got two field caps from a seller from hong kong on ebay.

I despise baseball caps and don't like those trendy military caps some people like to wear now (the type of cap castro wears, but now its being adopted by teenage girls everywhere) so i decided to get the german m43s from WWII. Not too silly looking, but certainly of a different calibre than any of the abovementioned. I got a winter type field cap in black and a tropical afrika corps one in khaki for the warmer weather. Both came without insignia etc, obviously trooping around wearing a German field cap emblazoned with Swastika would not go over well or get me many compliments. That said these caps are still in use by certain arms of the German police today so i don't imagine they are too associated with the period. my thoughts: they are both great hats, cheap, good quality replicas. the winter hat is great as it offers not only warmth but you can fold down the sides like an ushanka.

DSCF0874.jpg

DSCF0869.jpg

DSCF0868-1.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Keith, right..?

I have several German field caps of the peaked variety.
DAK caps were actually olive green in colour, when new.
Although Kreigsmarine, Luftwaffe and the SS were seen to have khaki/tan colours.

Refreshing choice for streetwear.
Now there are 2 of us.

B
T

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
Plus, if anyone gives you any guff about being a Nazi, that first one (or one very similar to it) was also worn in Star Wars by the flight deck officers on the Death Star....

Maguire

Practically Family
Mossyrock said:
Plus, if anyone gives you any guff about being a Nazi, that first one (or one very similar to it) was also worn in Star Wars by the flight deck officers on the Death Star....
be taken as a nazi or an extreme star wars nerd...

And yes, field grey is the color most seen for this type of hat but i've seen it worn khaki, black, etc by various units.

http://myworld.ebay.com/keith7524fnl/
this is the seller. you were correct, keith leung i believe is the name.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I went through a period where I tried wearing the M43 caps I once owned and got a few comments about "Where Eagles Dare", "is that a german hat?", "What Army is that from?", which I didn't mind too much, but when a veteran from WWII asked where I got my "Gestapo" hat, and wasn't smiling when he said it, I simply didn't have the heart to keep wearing them. I had field grey and a black M43 cap, a Gebirgsjaeger cap, a couple of khaki M41 repros, and a few camo caps. Sold them on e-bay. No swastika insignia ever on them. I still love the style...I just can't go around with one on.

dean

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
The best cap

The M43 is probably one of the most stylish and popular caps every created. As you may know, it was developed from Austrian ski caps and the cap worn by the German mountain troops which was called a Bergmutz. I have several M43's in different colors and wear them with my military overcoats. As you say, it is a great alternative to the ubiquitous baseball caps (which I cannot stand either).

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I have an Austrian Ski Cap but it seems that people think Hitler Youth when they see it.
A perfectly fair observation but why are so many people familiar with HJ headwear..?

The Austro-Hungarian Feldkappe from WW1, was the Grand daddy of them all, I would say.

B
T

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
I agree about the WWI cap. Regarding the comment about it being a "Gestapo" cap, it is typical of the uninformed who think they know everything. Virtually all units of the German military, including the Waffen-SS, wore this style of cap. I wonder if that same person would say the same thing to a modern-day German or Austrian policeman. It is also another example of the need in so many people to critisize or make sarcastic comments about anthing that is not what they feel is the "norm." But, it seems to be ok is a rocker, rapper or sports celebrity wears something unique or different. Sorry, I know this is the topic of another thread. Wear the hats and enjoy them. The $%^# with everyone else.

Maguire

Practically Family
Not to mention that- let's face it. Their uniforms ruled. The reason a book with a swastika or a movie about nazis still can capture interest, is frankly because of the aesthetic appeal. Military parades of all kinds are interesting spectacles, and very few pulled them off with the ability of the germans (although the DPRK's parades come pretty close). They had a keen eye for what looks good /imposing/etc. I'm not saying we should go trooping out dressed in full SS attire, but something minor like a hat or something.. i don't think its a big deal anymore than someone wearing any field cap from any country, or an ushanka or something.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Rittmeister said:
The M43 is probably one of the most stylish and popular caps every created. As you may know, it was developed from Austrian ski caps and the cap worn by the German mountain troops which was called a Bergmutz. I have several M43's in different colors and wear them with my military overcoats. As you say, it is a great alternative to the ubiquitous baseball caps (which I cannot stand either).

This may be entirely correct, but I recall reading somewhere that the cap was originally modeled on the design used by Norwegian ski troops, or perhaps Scandinavian civilian skiers initially. Then copied elsewhere - perhaps Austria. Then adopted by the Nazis, SA if I recall correctly, before the fall of the Weimar republic. Correct me if I'm off base, just going by memory of my readings on the rise of Hitler and the Nazis.

Regardless of history, a good looking and practical cap. It is a shame that some items of clothing get weighed down by baggage. Yet it happens. The swastika is an extremely ancient symbol, usually connected with the spirit of the sun, found in places as diverse as India and in N. America. The Hopi still use it. But it is now so imbued in the common imagination with the horrors perpetrated by the Nazis that I doubt it can ever be rehabilitated. Don't know if this hat can escape that fate...but maybe it has a decent chance if folks can see it in other contexts.

- Bill

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Make no mistake, in NYC, people will make Nazi or Hitler Youth comments at the site of that hat. After all, the reason why NYPD no longer wear leather uniform jkts was an outcry over them looking too much like gestapo.

You could try the American version.
The CCC hat worn by the Civillian Conservation Corp just before the war.
Ive usually seen these in a hunter green. Also the early WWII winter hat was identical, but came in khaki or light OD. It was retired from use for being too similar to the Axis' hats. Friendly fire is never appreciated.
2585191593_0442b27e4c.jpg

Note the US buckle distinguishes it from the Axis hat.
2586027876_e753a3a052.jpg

Maguire

Practically Family
MrBern said:
Make no mistake, in NYC, people will make Nazi or Hitler Youth comments at the site of that hat. After all, the reason why NYPD no longer wear leather uniform jkts was an outcry over them looking too much like gestapo.

You could try the American version.
The CCC hat worn by the Civillian Conservation Corp just before the war.
Ive usually seen these in a hunter green. Also the early WWII winter hat was identical, but came in khaki or light OD. It was retired from use for being too similar to the Axis' hats. Friendly fire is never appreciated.
2585191593_0442b27e4c.jpg

Note the US buckle distinguishes it from the Axis hat.
2586027876_e753a3a052.jpg
While its certainly better than a baseball cap i hate to say it but that's an ugly hat. i'll stick to being called gestapo thanks

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
newestmisc042.jpg

Look at the fellow in the upper left - doesn't he look a bit like he's wearing a cross between an M43 and a Stormy Kromer? I rather like the look - I think if you could get the M43 in non-Wehrmacht colors, that would help it a lot. I'm thinking blue, green, white, and possibly red. I would probably wear that hat in that case.

I love to downhill ski and I've been thinking about vintage ski togs a great deal, lately. Though I don't think you'll catch me in vintage skis.

-Dave

indycop

I'll Lock Up
David Conwill said:
I love to downhill ski and I've been thinking about vintage ski togs a great deal, lately. Though I don't think you'll catch me in vintage skis.

-Dave
How about the 10th Mountain Div. ski troop cap worn in WWII in Colorado and Italy. They practically invented skiing in the US.:)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I had picked up one of those black panzer numbers from an ebay store (I think they're in Hong Kong or Singapore) back this last winter. No bad comments but plenty of compliments. It looked good and really kept the noggin warm. Thanks to BT and his Adventure Wear photos for the Alpine Hiking outfit for that one. :)

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy