Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 Flight jacket

Peacoat

Bartender
I'm also guessing the jacket is borrowed. It does appear to be an L-2A and everything in the photo looks like Korea. Of course, in 1952 Ike had more than three stars.
AF

I can't imagine Ike wearing a borrowed jacket with only three stars when he got his fifth star way back toward the end of 1944. I have known a few generals, and they are most conscious of their stars*. But I can think of no other explanation, as the picture most definitely points to Korea.

Good eye, Atticus, for picking up on the three stars and the Meteor. Maybe you aren't ready for retirement after all.

*And that isn't to denigrate them as all are great guys, and I think the world of them--especially the only four star I know. He and I were friends when he was a lowly Major, and we were in a land far away and a time long ago.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've got to say, I have an US-produced MA-1 from the early 80s and a current Chinese-produced N-2, and I would say that there was little to choose between the two. In fact, I'd venture that the quality of the knits on the N-2 was better.

Edward

Bartender
What's the weight of the N2 like? It'll be the all-poly filler, no? (Which, of course, the N2B was by....eh.... some time in the 70s?). Be interesting to compare from that perspective. My B15Cs are both wool / wool-cotton batting, which I like a lot, though the lightness of that compared to the B3 was a surprise the first time I wore one!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'll check tonight on the weights, but you're right about the contrast between wearing something like a B3 or an Irvin: it doesn't feel as if it should come close to keeping you warm, but it does the job! It's a different type of warmth though - like a sleeping bag compared with an eiderdown duvet.

Edward

Bartender
I'll check tonight on the weights, but you're right about the contrast between wearing something like a B3 or an Irvin: it doesn't feel as if it should come close to keeping you warm, but it does the job! It's a different type of warmth though - like a sleeping bag compared with an eiderdown duvet.

Yes, agreed.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
What's the weight of the N2 like? It'll be the all-poly filler, no? (Which, of course, the N2B was by....eh.... some time in the 70s?). Be interesting to compare from that perspective. My B15Cs are both wool / wool-cotton batting, which I like a lot, though the lightness of that compared to the B3 was a surprise the first time I wore one!

The N-2 felt heavier, even taking the hood into account, but to be fair, the it is a severe weather jacket, while the MA-1 is an intermediate. As it is, my other half took such a strong liking to the N-2 that she has adopted it as her 'go-to' jacket. Oh well...:rolleyes: I will be hanging on to my MA-1 though!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The N-2 felt heavier, even taking the hood into account, but to be fair, the it is a severe weather jacket, while the MA-1 is an intermediate. As it is, my other half took such a strong liking to the N-2 that she has adopted it as her 'go-to' jacket. Oh well...:rolleyes: I will be hanging on to my MA-1 though!

Ha! I think we all have...eh....had... a coat like that. (I'm wearing mine this week, but I'm sure I'll "lose" it come the weekend again. ;) ). I've really warmed to the MA1 in the last year or two. I might start keeping an eye out for one of the Eighties ground crew models for cheap, given similarity to the original issue flying jacket (green lining instead of the orange. No politics. ;) ).

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've just scored one of the 'obscure' Alpha Replica Series N2B's, Navy Blue in size XL. Has a red & gold Alpha label by the cigarette pocket. Materials appear to be top end Alpha, Nylon feels good, the zips are heavy duty. Interlining is a wool / cotton mix, knits are wool etc etc. Appears to be from the same 'Replica' series as my 50's MA1 (sage lining) which is a stunner..again decent interlining, nylon etc etc. :)

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Alpha MA-1, made in Knoxville, arrived today...

Calling all Alpha fans! Just got the MA-1, USA made jacket. What a shock!!! It was ordered in a size (L) as the jackets I tried on in Frankfurt, Germany were perfect in fit in size L. This jacket is actually a medium in size, based on other jackets.

And that is the good news! This jacket has loose threads nearly everywhere inside the jacket lining and the waistband due to poor stitching, plus the stitch lines don't even come close to being straight. Foster Brooks on his worst night could have done a better sewing job. Completely unbelievable as to the lack of quality control on this garment!!!

If this is a genuine made in USA jacket by Alpha, the company should be professionally embarrassed. The tags do claim USA made, but I rather have my doubts. Extremely poor quality overall. The back side of the jacket is so short that it rides up on my back. I have had MA-1's before, never had this problem.

The Alpha's tried on at the NATO store in Germany were FAR superior to this example. So much so that on my next trip to Frankfurt I will purchase one. If the Frankfurt jackets come from China, then the Chinese have whipped our collective rear ends on QC.

This MA-1 arrived 30 minutes ago, and it is going back via FedEx tomorrow. One more thing...the jacket was wadded up and stuffed into a small plastic USPS mailer. The result? It has more creases, wrinkles and valleys than the Grand Canyon.

Parking brake set.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Alpha MA-1, made in Knoxville, arrived today...

Calling all Alpha fans! Just got the MA-1, USA made jacket. What a shock!!! It was ordered in a size (L) as the jackets I tried on in Frankfurt, Germany were perfect in fit in size L. This jacket is actually a medium in size, based on other jackets.

And that is the good news! This jacket has loose threads nearly everywhere inside the jacket lining and the waistband due to poor stitching, plus the stitch lines don't even come close to being straight. Foster Brooks on his worst night could have done a better sewing job. Completely unbelievable as to the lack of quality control on this garment!!!

If this is a genuine made in USA jacket by Alpha, the company should be professionally embarrassed. The tags do claim USA made, but I rather have my doubts. Extremely poor quality overall. The back side of the jacket is so short that it rides up on my back. I have had MA-1's before, never had this problem.

The Alpha's tried on at the NATO store in Germany were FAR superior to this example. So much so that on my next trip to Frankfurt I will purchase one. If the Frankfurt jackets come from China, then the Chinese have whipped our collective rear ends on QC.

This MA-1 arrived 30 minutes ago, and it is going back via FedEx tomorrow. One more thing...the jacket was wadded up and stuffed into a small plastic USPS mailer. The result? It has more creases, wrinkles and valleys than the Grand Canyon.

Parking brake set.

You should post a few pictures of the mess. Might serve as a caveat emptor to other folks considering a similar purchase.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The fit sounds right. An L fits like a medium in the USA versions. The wrinkles are part of the deal of packaged transportation. The loose seams. Well, all I can say is my Knoxville jacket was great quality and thicker nylon than the Chinese ones. But even an XL was too short and very boxy. Poor fit for a tall thin guy. You may have got a dud quality wise.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Just wanted some information on the MA1 jacket. I know there are tons of knock-offs, and reproductions. However I just found a really nice MA1 made by I. Spiewak in USA for $45. Wanted to know if this is a true government issue, and when it was made, also what it's worth. I DID buy it, because I was impressed with it. I have another MA1 made by Sturm Mil-Tech(a knock off). The Spiewak is made so much better. I can't believe I found it in an old general store.

Thanks.

Type-ML-J-8279E(AF)
Stock #1018-695-1621
Contract RSG/409-1979 N
I. Spiewak & Sons

Jwag-

I have the same Spiewak jacket; just checked the tag. Went for it on eBay with only "size 42" to go on. It's really a nice fit, with poly-fill that's like a pile, but lighter weight. Very happy with it, issue or not.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've got to echo some of TX's observations: I had to run a pair of scissors over my MA-1 when I got it to remove the numerous threads hanging off it. I put this down to it being 30-odd years old, but it apparently not. Difficult to compare the quality of knits, but the MA-1's are definitely less robust my Chinese N-2. I can afford not to be too bothered by these things - it's an older jacket that I only paid £50 for, so allowances are made - but if I paid full whack for a new one and found this to be the case, I'd take a different attitude.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Yup, bought this off Ebay. Never again! In the future will only buy a jacket off the rack, at a local store. One that can be seen, felt, and tried on first. The wrinkles in this are so "perma pressed" that they will likely never come out. The jacket looks terrible.

I expected "Gibson & Barnes" quality. My problem is that of being a perfectionist. My personal issue, I guess.

A jacket bought from a third world street vendor in Mexico would be of higher quality...I could go on and on. Perhaps I can get a couple pictures in here.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Definitely post some pics. It's as useful to see bad stuff as the good stuff. My Alpha MA-1 came in a tightly wrapped package too, but it sprang back into shape within an hour of being opened. I've got a brand new Alpha N-3 in the post, so I'll be interested to see how it fares in transit.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
OK...note the stitching, the seams that are not straight, loose threads, DEEP wrinkles. Had the jacket on a hanger over night. These wrinkles a perma-pressed in. They are here to stay!

P1010045.jpg P1010044.jpg P1010041.jpg P1010040.jpg P1010039.jpg P1010038.jpg P1010035.jpg P1010034.jpg P1010044.jpg

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
These pictures tell the story of Alpha Industries. In fact, a third world Mexican sweat shop working in a back alley in Progresso could probably do just as good, maybe even better.

Let this be a warning to all of you Alpha fans...and you know who you are!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The Chinese-made Alpha MA-1 I bought in 2010 had NOWHERE near that number of sewing errors. A few thread-ends sticking out to be cut, sure, but nothing like that sloppy stitching.

So, while quality control is clearly an issue, I wouldn't necessarily damn all Alphas as being that badly made. That one is a particularly bad example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats