Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 Flight jacket

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The eBay prices of original MA-1s seem to be increasing rapidly since a year or two ago when I last paid attention to them. I was hoping L-2b prices were going up also. Sad to say, I don't think this is the case. I have a bunch of Vietnam era L-2bs I love to unload, but not for $45.00. I'm not saying they're worth huge money. Its just that the bother of packing and shipping the darn things would outweigh the prices they're bringing today.

AF

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Atticus, were there any makers of L2Bs that made cut them slightly more generously? I'd love an XL original but have only tried an XL 1966 Alpha that was a bit small.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Atticus, were there any makers of L2Bs that made cut them slightly more generously? I'd love an XL original but have only tried an XL 1966 Alpha that was a bit small.

I've tried Rolens, Skylines, Alphas, Satellites and Lord knows what else. They're all skimpy. The biggest two I have are both Alphas...a '71 and a '72.

AF

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The eBay prices of original MA-1s seem to be increasing rapidly since a year or two ago when I last paid attention to them. I was hoping L-2b prices were going up also. Sad to say, I don't think this is the case. I have a bunch of Vietnam era L-2bs I love to unload, but not for $45.00. I'm not saying they're worth huge money. Its just that the bother of packing and shipping the darn things would outweigh the prices they're bringing today.

AF

I'd hang onto them for now AF. You've got a great collection there and it'd be a shame to flog them off on the cheap when in all probability prices for L-2Bs will eventually rise.

Edward

Bartender
Needs a big Holly wood release to feature them. If Steve Maqueen had worn a b10 in The Great Escape, those would, I am sure, be more sought after than A2s.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Needs a big Holly wood release to feature them. If Steve Maqueen had worn a b10 in The Great Escape, those would, I am sure, be more sought after than A2s.

They'd certainly be up there if that was the case Edward.

I'd personally love to see a faithful adaptation of Salter's "The Hunters" (far more faithful than the '58 version which although it had some wonderful footage of F-86s was really a far cry from the novel). Now that would give ample opportunity for nylon flight jackets ;)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Even a big Gollywood movie wouldn't affect vintage stuff, it would only affect "new vintage" stuff, as all the hipsters pile in. But back to prices: what are the collectors (or accumulators) around here hoping to get for their vintage nylon jackets? Not with holes and tears, or going to stink up your closet, but in good wearable shape.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Even a big Gollywood movie wouldn't affect vintage stuff, it would only affect "new vintage" stuff, as all the hipsters pile in. But back to prices: what are the collectors (or accumulators) around here hoping to get for their vintage nylon jackets? Not with holes and tears, or going to stink up your closet, but in good wearable shape.

I'm not sure there is a simple answer to that question. I would expect that different jackets would bring very different prices, depending on vintage and condition. The last L-2b I sold was a B-series Rolen in XL and I sold it for north of 300 UDS. I would expect a late Vietnam-era, J-series L-2b to be less expensive...but still worth more than an inaccurate, Asian knock off.

AF

bn1966

If you ever decide to part with either of those larger Alpha L2Bs Atticus please let me know. :)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
If you ever decide to part with either of those larger Alpha L2Bs Atticus please let me know. :)

Not quite ready to sell this, but even early '70s L-2bs can be cool. :cool:

5721991e-9315-4807-849a-7d9b58293629_zps3afcc3f4.jpg

AF

bn1966

That is one cool jacket Atticus :cool:, I feel an L2B search potentially coming on. If you get a free moment I would love to know what the shoulder measurement & pit to pit on your early 70's Alpha L2B comes in at :). I mainly struggle with the shoulders, anything under 21" seam to seam is uncomfortable.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Is there anywhere a detailed guide to the tags/details/contracts for MA-1 jackets? I mean something along the lines of what Peacoat has done for USN pea coat tags, etc. If no such thing exists, will someone write one? I'm thinking of the resident expert who is retiring soon and will have time on his hands, cough cough

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Is there anywhere a detailed guide to the tags/details/contracts for MA-1 jackets? I mean something along the lines of what Peacoat has done for USN pea coat tags, etc. If no such thing exists, will someone write one? I'm thinking of the resident expert who is retiring soon and will have time on his hands, cough cough

There are some good reference books already available..."Suit Up" being the best. It was originally only in Japanese but it may have been translated into English by now. In fact, during the nineties, most of the nylon collecting interest was in Japan and elsewhere in Asia. In those days many excellent examples of original nylon went overseas, never to return...but mainly only the sizes small and medium. Thankfully, many of the size L and XL jackets stayed here. :D

Several years ago a friend on another forum set about to build a vintage nylon site similar to VLJ. I sent him photos of some of my jackets, and he had a decent collection himself...including a first edition Lion Uniform MA-1 in XL. But the site never happened and he finally sold his collection. Worse yet, most of the old nylon heads that once posted on VLJ are now gone or are no longer active.

And truthfully, my nylon collecting days are probably near their end. Sad to say, I'm now too old and round and gray to look good in a vintage flight jacket. Back in the day, I was always on the lookout for vintage jackets and could spot an original from two city blocks away. When eBay became available, I searched it almost everyday just to look at what was there, even if not to buy. But not so much anymore. Now, I seldom look for jackets and I feel like I've lost touch with jacket prices and availability.

AF

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Aha, but being "round" wouldn't keep you from writing a guide. Although, since 1967 the date of contract has been embedded in the tag, so that only gives about 15 years that you would need to study up on the various manufacturers and the peculiarities of the jackets and tags specific to the date of issue.

Not for sure, but I think the nylon flight jackets were introduced in the early 50s. You probably have examples from many of those years from the 50s up through 1966. in your closets. The problem would be determining the exact year of a specific jacket. Probably wouldn't take more than a few more years of research, and then you would be ready to organize and write. Very similar to writing a brief, but much more extensive.

This would be a good project for you during the first few years of your retirement. Don't want you to get bored in your life after work.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
This would be a good project for you during the first few years of your retirement. Don't want you to get bored in your life after work.

That does sound like an interesting project. I certainly don't know all there is to know about original nylon flight jackets, but I know (via the internet) most of the serious nylon collectors...and those guys do. You're right about the timespan. The roots of nylon flight jackets begin in the final years of WWII and (discounting nomex) the vine ends in the late 'eighties. Only four decades, total.

Lord willing, though, retirement will not end my practice of law. I'll just be moving to the other side of the courtroom and slowing down a bit. Hopefully, I won't have to work for financial reasons, but I do intend to continue working. Historically, the men in my family who stopped working after retirement didn't live very long. I liked those old guys when they were here on earth, I've no desire to reunite with them for a long time to come.

AF

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Atticus - Don't be that guy who keeps working because he can't think of anything else to do with his time. If you have enough money for retirement, then get out and make room for the next generation. Besides, I want to see that book on nylon jackets written, and if nothing definitive is available in English, then it needs to be done before the old timer pilots and military people are all dead and those amateur experts you know disappear. Funding could be 'kickstarted' and I'd be willing to throw in a grand from my own pocket if you could demonstrate that you can do it. A really detailed outline and a couple chapters written and laid out would be all that's needed at the start. With your collection and those amateur experts, plus any contacts you could make among the old flying fraternity, you could probably illustrate most of the book without having to pay for publicly available images. Anyway, think about it.

Here's a table from that Japanese book:

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
There are some good reference books already available..."Suit Up" being the best. It was originally only in Japanese but it may have been translated into English by now. In fact, during the nineties, most of the nylon collecting interest was in Japan and elsewhere in Asia. In those days many excellent examples of original nylon went overseas, never to return...but mainly only the sizes small and medium. Thankfully, many of the size L and XL jackets stayed here. :D

Several years ago a friend on another forum set about to build a vintage nylon site similar to VLJ. I sent him photos of some of my jackets, and he had a decent collection himself...including a first edition Lion Uniform MA-1 in XL. But the site never happened and he finally sold his collection. Worse yet, most of the old nylon heads that once posted on VLJ are now gone or are no longer active.

And truthfully, my nylon collecting days are probably near their end. Sad to say, I'm now too old and round and gray to look good in a vintage flight jacket. Back in the day, I was always on the lookout for vintage jackets and could spot an original from two city blocks away. When eBay became available, I searched it almost everyday just to look at what was there, even if not to buy. But not so much anymore. Now, I seldom look for jackets and I feel like I've lost touch with jacket prices and availability.

AF

Atticus-

How many people ever have others begging them to write something? And how many know they'll have a guaranteed audience for their efforts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925