Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 Flight jacket

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My 80s US-made Alpha MA-1 arrived today - tag still intact. Very nice, sage green. Mind you, not sure about this 'superior build' thing, as I had to go over it with a pair of scissors, snipping all the loose threads off it. None of them construction ones, but not something I did with my new China-made N-2. Will post pics later.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Here you go:

IMAG0423.jpg IMAG0424.jpg
IMAG0427.jpg IMAG0417.jpg
IMAG0414.jpg IMAG0415.jpg

I've stuck the 80s MA-1 over the current N-2, both mediums, as a comparison, just to show how the sizing has changed, though obviously the N-2 is a heavier piece of kit. The pics make the MA-1's sleeves look longer than they are on me, as the jacket feels a fine fit.

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice looking jacket Sloan and a great fit if I may say so. Gotta love the nylon :)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Nice jacket, Sloan! There seems to be a real difference in the length of civilian Alphas as compared to the issued version. In the photo below, I'm wearing a '72 and it bearly covers my belt. BTW...the temperature that day was hovering around 0F. In fact, the lake behind me was covered with more than a foot of ice. But there wasn't much wind so I was perfectly comfortable in my jacket worn over a thin cotton shirt.

winterdec09002-1.jpg

AF

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys! You're absolutely right AF, that's a short jacket, but it looks damn good. After they replaced the wool with synthetic linings, was the length the main difference between the civvy and military ones?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys! You're absolutely right AF, that's a short jacket, but it looks damn good. After they replaced the wool with synthetic linings, was the length the main difference between the civvy and military ones?

Maybe it's the photos fault but it looks huge to me. I think anyone who is five ten or under can look good in these if the fit is right. At 6 ft 2 even the extra large is so short it looks like a matador jacket on me.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, I'm 5ft 9", the jacket's a small-medium, so the sleeves fit nicely (no tunnelling at all) and barely sits over the bottom of my belt when I wear my Freddies, which have a high waist - it's a comfortable fit. But as AF said, the waist bands seem to be longer on more modern ones - the one on this 61 vintage jacket looks a fair bit shorter:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-6...187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23350ff76b

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
On the vintage jackets with wool insulation: was the wool just a piece of wool cloth, or was it a wool filler made of shredded wool offcuts or something like that?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Another question: what might have caused this stain on the collar knit? It reminds me of a metal "bleed" which I've seen on wool from metallic rank badges after they've been removed.

Peacoat

Bartender
On the vintage jackets with wool insulation: was the wool just a piece of wool cloth, or was it a wool filler made of shredded wool offcuts or something like that?

My mid 60s MA-1 has a quilted lining. Can't tell if the material under the nylon is fill or single piece wool. Feels as if it is fill. My L2-B, same vintage, has a single piece of nylon for the liner, with a single piece of thin insulation between the liner and the outer shell.

All I did with mine was fly in them--never took them apart or even much thought about them. Atticus Finch studies them; he will know.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab

I've always heard it called wool batting...similar to what is used in quilting. I think it has a cotton backing, too. I know that it will come to pieces in the washing machine and form clumps, especially in the sleeves.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Another question: what might have caused this stain on the collar knit? It reminds me of a metal "bleed" which I've seen on wool from metallic rank badges after they've been removed.

It does look like a contact stain from rust or oxidation, but it could be almost anything. Remember, flight engineers wore flight jackets, too. That is what I love the most about original flight jackets. Just like my old self, they've got scars and stains and nips and boo-boos...and when I look at them, I can't help but wonder at the stories they could tell.

AF

Peacoat

Bartender
That is what I love the most about original flight jackets. Just like my old self, they've got scars and stains and nips and boo-boos...and when I look at them, I can't help but wonder at the stories they could tell.
AF

My L2-B could tell some stories. Many of which I would rather not remember.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My L2-B could tell some stories. Many of which I would rather not remember.

I have no doubt of that. I've never taken the opportunity to say this to you, so I will now. Thank you for your service, friend.

I missed Vietnam, but not by much. Only months. But maybe I can still relate to what you're saying. I tendered notice of my intent to retire yesterday. I guess I've been looking more back than forward lately, and I've been thinking a lot about all that I've seen during my career as a prosecutor. All of the hurt and happy. And you're right. I've gathered up some great memories...and other parts of it I would have rather not seen. I keep thinking that it all mixes together like a big gumbo to make us we are...or finally, who we were... :eek:

AF

Last edited:

devilish

A-List Customer
I just wanted to add that while machine washing any vintage garment can be a crap shoot, I have done so to my N-2B and it handled it just fine. I put it on a short, cold cycle with a few other items using a gentle soap made for technical outerwear. Then let it air dry out on the line. No ill effects since, lining and coyote fur stood up no problem.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Saw a woeful Alpha N-3B in Urban Outfitters (high street fashion store). They'd done something weird to the shell and added a horrible faux military patch to it that had the acronym F.A.R.T. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner