Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 Flight jacket

Edward

Bartender
They've been going for £120 to £150 on average over here, though I saw a second hand one go for £40 yesterday - it's amazing how the weather has an impact on prices :D Though i think if I had been focusing for the more popular mil spec green or blue, rather than the brown, I'd still be paying big bucks.

It does seem likely the colour helped there, though oddly enough the most common colous I see on eBay for them are the old civilian MA1 standbys of green and black. Grand if you want a William-Gibson-on-the-cheap look, but not if you're more interested in the N2A. Alpha do seem to do a "Replica Blue" model, which is correct for the N2A, but I've not been able to tell from the website whether this has the later orange lining, which I believe was never used on the N2A. To the best of my knowledge, this came in at the same time as it did on the L2B and MA1, at the turn of the Sixties... It'd be nice to have an issue-correct model with the filler too. I'm not honestly sure whether the filler was all poly right from the off with the N2A or whether it was a heavier wool/cotton batting as per the B15 at the time. Seems to actually be quite difficult to find good information on the N2 series.

Normally, I would not be interested in the Alpha but I saw a USA made N-2B with white fur selling for about 80 quids retail, so I asked the shop to order one in my size.:D

Sounds like a decent price - be interested to hear your review. Is that in Beijing? What part of the city are you based in? (I'm there a few times a year with work - occasionally in the centre of town, but much more frequently at Hong Fu, out by the sixth ring. Sometimes feels as close to Shanghai as the Forbidden City! ;) ).

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It does seem likely the colour helped there, though oddly enough the most common colous I see on eBay for them are the old civilian MA1 standbys of green and black. Grand if you want a William-Gibson-on-the-cheap look, but not if you're more interested in the N2A. Alpha do seem to do a "Replica Blue" model, which is correct for the N2A, but I've not been able to tell from the website whether this has the later orange lining, which I believe was never used on the N2A. To the best of my knowledge, this came in at the same time as it did on the L2B and MA1, at the turn of the Sixties... It'd be nice to have an issue-correct model with the filler too. I'm not honestly sure whether the filler was all poly right from the off with the N2A or whether it was a heavier wool/cotton batting as per the B15 at the time. Seems to actually be quite difficult to find good information on the N2 series.

Sounds like a decent price - be interested to hear your review. Is that in Beijing? What part of the city are you based in? (I'm there a few times a year with work - occasionally in the centre of town, but much more frequently at Hong Fu, out by the sixth ring. Sometimes feels as close to Shanghai as the Forbidden City! ;) ).
Southeast. Still waiting to see if they will get back to me as I want an XS and the smallest they have in stock is medium. I saw some brand new Made in USA Alphas there but they seem to be restricted to a particular colour for each model e.g. only the silver N-2B is made in USA whilst the blue, black etc are made in China and for MA-1 I think the dark green is made in USA while the rest are made in China.:eusa_doh:

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
What looks like a nice MA1 Alpha Replica series for sale: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Alph...pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&hash=item2a3611f3f8 Too small for me :)

A "replica" of something that never was. This is an example of what I was ranting about the other day. Why does Alpha have to spoil an otherwise decent jacket by besmirching it with some mythical "MA-1 Mod" tag? Why not just copy a real 1950s Dobbs MA-1 tag and use that?

Reminds me of the old Avirex A-2s that were stamped with the “Approved for high speed, low altitude flight” garbage.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Alpha do seem to do a "Replica Blue" model, which is correct for the N2A, but I've not been able to tell from the website whether this has the later orange lining, which I believe was never used on the N2A. To the best of my knowledge, this came in at the same time as it did on the L2B and MA1, at the turn of the Sixties...

You are correct, Edward. N-2As had blue linings. In fact, no original N jacket of any kind ever had an orange lining. Orange insides were only in MA-1s and L-2Bs.

AF

Edward

Bartender
I have an original 60's Skyline N-2B that states on the label 100% Wool Pile for the lining.

I thought that might be the case. Poly probably came in in the 70s, then...?

Southeast. Still waiting to see if they will get back to me as I want an XS and the smallest they have in stock is medium. I saw some brand new Made in USA Alphas there but they seem to be restricted to a particular colour for each model e.g. only the silver N-2B is made in USA whilst the blue, black etc are made in China and for MA-1 I think the dark green is made in USA while the rest are made in China.:eusa_doh:

Far out? WE're in the North at the campus, but so far up we describe it to folks here as 'saying I'm in Beijing is like saying you're in London when you're in Luton'. Still... handy for the airport, in and out.

You are correct, Edward. N-2As had blue linings. In fact, no original N jacket of any kind ever had an orange lining. Orange insides were only in MA-1s and L-2Bs.

AF

Thanks. Alpha seem to have made the orange lining something of a trademark across a lot of their range... Aesthetically, I don't much care for it myself, though I can certainly see the utility in military field use (as long as you're not shot down behind enemy lines, obviously!).

kowalski

Practically Family
1) Alpha MA1 vitage repro Size S
2) Alpha MA1 contract 68y size L
3) Alpha N2B contract 93y size L

My sizes it height 179cm chest 42-44

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The main issue I have with the design of the N-2B is that it is a very short jacket in the torso. I think the reason is that is was designed to be worn with the F1B trousers, which are high-waisted. The N-2A isn't quite as short, and I'm not sure why.

AF

Blackadder

Far out? WE're in the North at the campus, but so far up we describe it to folks here as 'saying I'm in Beijing is like saying you're in London when you're in Luton'. Still... handy for the airport, in and out.
Lol sorry, Southeast part of China not even "Beijing".

Edward

Bartender
Lol sorry, Southeast part of China not even "Beijing".

Ah! I'm not so familiar with down there, though I did spend a couple of days in Guilin a few years ago.

The main issue I have with the design of the N-2B is that it is a very short jacket in the torso. I think the reason is that is was designed to be worn with the F1B trousers, which are high-waisted. The N-2A isn't quite as short, and I'm not sure why.

AF

Is it possible that by the time the N2A rolled around, cockpits were better heated and so pilots tended only to feel the need of a jacket more often.... Or maybe it's as simple as a different contractor's take on it? Do you mean shorter by design, or is that simply the case in fact, based on all the actual jackets you've seen?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Is it possible that by the time the N2A rolled around, cockpits were better heated and so pilots tended only to feel the need of a jacket more often.... Or maybe it's as simple as a different contractor's take on it? Do you mean shorter by design, or is that simply the case in fact, based on all the actual jackets you've seen?

Most photos from the Korean War of aircrew wearing N-2As are from bomber and transport squadrons, so aircraft like B-29s where there wasn't the same standard of heating within the aircraft. Also often teamed with insulated trousers as well.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Do you mean shorter by design, or is that simply the case in fact, based on all the actual jackets you've seen?

My N-2B is short and it seems to be a common observation over on VLJ...especially with respect to the newer N-2Bs...and, again, we're speaking of issued jackets, only. On the other hand, my N-2A doesn't seem particularly short and I've heard no complaints from other folks about short N-2As.

JackiesTesters041-1.jpg

But I have to admit, the N-2As these guys are wearing could never be described as being "long". :eek:

Pict0026.jpg

AF

bn1966

Atticus, that is one lovely N2-A :cool: Is it a Masland contract (most seem to be)? I just missed out on a UK Masland XL N2-A before Christmas (jacket funds were low at the time). How does the sizing compare to your N2-B?

Regards Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ