Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MA-1 Flight jacket

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
I've always heard it called wool batting...similar to what is used in quilting. I think it has a cotton backing, too. I know that it will come to pieces in the washing machine and form clumps, especially in the sleeves.
Thanks. Sounds like in some jackets, at least, it was a shredded wool insulation. Minor point but interesting.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Peacoat said:
All I did with mine was fly in them--never took them apart or even much thought about them.
Can you comment on their performance and utility while "on the job"? I had assumed that flying helicopters in southeast Asia you wouldn't have had much use for a warm jacket (obviously higher altitude pilots would have needed proper cold clothing).

Peacoat

Bartender
Can you comment on their performance and utility while "on the job"? I had assumed that flying helicopters in southeast Asia you wouldn't have had much use for a warm jacket (obviously higher altitude pilots would have needed proper cold clothing).

Didn't wear the L2-B very often. I was in the Central Highlands, flying in the mountains. During the rainy season it sometimes got cold at night, and a blanket was needed. The cold lasted into the morning hours until the sun came up and warmed things a bit. Also, during that period, it was cold at altitude. Normally during the dry season when it was hot, the temperature dropped to a comfortable level after passing through around 5,000' (about a mile up). Mostly though, even in the mountains, we had two seasons: dry and hot and wet and hot.

When I say it was sometimes cold at night, you have to remember that we were all used to temperatures around 100 degrees during the daytime, and maybe not much cooler at night. So, when I say it was cold, that is a relative term. It was probably around 60 degrees, but for me, that was cold enough for a light jacket. The L2-B did the job.

Edit Note: I just checked the temps for Pleiku and Kontum and the lows are in the 50s this week. Pretty cool nights for guys who had become acclimated to hot weather.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Peacoat said:
Didn't wear the L2-B very often. I was in the Central Highlands, flying in the mountains. During the rainy season it sometimes got cold at night, and a blanket was needed. The cold lasted into the morning hours until the sun came up and warmed things a bit. Also, during that period, it was cold at altitude. Normally during the dry season when it was hot, the temperature dropped to a comfortable level after passing through around 5,000' (about a mile up). Mostly though, even in the mountains, we had two seasons: dry and hot and wet and hot.

When I say it was sometimes cold at night, you have to remember that we were all used to temperatures around 100 degrees during the daytime, and maybe not much cooler at night. So, when I say it was cold, that is a relative term. It was probably around 60 degrees, but for me, that was cold enough for a light jacket. The L2-B did the job.

Edit Note: I just checked the temps for Pleiku and Kontum and the lows are in the 50s this week. Pretty cool nights for guys who had become acclimated to hot weather.

Thanks very much for the comments. Part of my interest in outerwear is the functionality and performance. I noticed in another thread that you don't like the nomex jackets and prefer the nylon ones - what's your reasons behind that?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Didn't really want to start a new thread for this, so I'll tag it onto our discussion about MA-1s and L-2Bs.

This photo was taken this morning in the field beside my house. The raw temperature is 21 degrees and the wind is steady at about 15 MPH...that's a wind chill of 7 degrees, I think. I don't get to wear my N-jackets very often, but today is definitely a day for them. The coat is my beater 1980s N-3B. It came to me tagless, so I don't know the maker, but its likely to have seen service on a flight line at some point in its life. You can tell from the reflective tape that's been added to its exterior windflap and cuffs.

DSC_0631_zpsaee744a3.jpg

AF

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
One of the things I love about my N-2 is the way you can 'retreat' from the elements by extending the roll of the hood.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sweet! :D That looks exactly like the picture one eBayer seller I came across was using to flog his MA-1 (no word of a lie!)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Sloan1874 said:
One of the things I love about my N-2 is the way you can 'retreat' from the elements by extending the roll of the hood.
Canadian Forces winter parkas, old and new, have the same feature and it has been really useful to me this winter. The only drawback is that you can't see a damn thing out of the hood when up; you certainly couldn't fly like that, so I'm sure these sorts of hooded flying jackets were aimed more at survival after ditching than actual flight.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks very much for the comments. Part of my interest in outerwear is the functionality and performance. I noticed in another thread that you don't like the nomex jackets and prefer the nylon ones - what's your reasons behind that?

Didn't like the material, not one bit. But then the Army is really good about screwing things up. AF or Navy may have done a better job with it.

Atticus: Nice kitty. Our remaining barn cat sleeps in a warm nest in the hay loft I made for her on these nights that get down in the low single digits.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I have been looking at these jackets on e-Bay and Atticus gave me some great comments on one of them. I was looking at another which appeared to be in great shape, so I asked the seller if it had any smells... the answer: "If you have concerns about smells then keep looking." That was a candid answer, lol

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
As I've followed this thread I've begun to notice nylon prices on eBay. Dang, they're ugly...or pretty...if you've got a truck load of original nylon jackets sitting in storage tubs. I'm thinking of putting some of my collection up for sale, especially my L-2Bs. Problem is, all of my jackets are size XL. Seems like most guys here on the lounge are size 38-42. :(

AF

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Atticus,

Anything that might fit me? :) I've a 46 inch chest & find Alpha L2Bs XL a bit too small.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I'll admit I'm not the greatest nylon fan but I have had a few to trade during my collecting days. A couple of things come to mind that other collectors have pointed out to me are:
The military issue jackes do not have 'Made in USA' on the pocket label and the orange lining is of different material to the civvy stuff on the market. Also is the filling different from the military issue to the civvy jacket?
The last one I owned had a green lining, no flaps on the pockets and a(if memory is correct) a Conmar zip. MA1?
J

Peacoat

Bartender
As I've followed this thread I've begun to notice nylon prices on eBay. Dang, they're ugly...or pretty...if you've got a truck load of original nylon jackets sitting in storage tubs. I'm thinking of putting some of my collection up for sale, especially my L-2Bs. Problem is, all of my jackets are size XL. Seems like most guys here on the lounge are size 38-42. :(

AF

That is a good problem to have as sizes 46 XL are hard to come by in the vintage series. My originals are marked with the actual size and not the L or XL. Well, I need to amend that. I just remembered an L-2B I bought at the PX in late 1969 that is squirrled away in one of my closets . It is marked as an XL. It is an Alpha with epaulets and pocket flaps. I bought it for a buddy of mine way back then. He gave it back to me a few years ago after he outgrew it. You ought to find plenty of buyers for some of your collection.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, the XLs seem to sell the best from what I've seen on the Bay. (Jinkies, remember OFAS? That seems like a century ago now!). The prices for originals have certainly jumped a lot in the time I've been looking, though for the most part (B15Cs excepted), they're still cheaper than the better reproductions. Still got half an eye out for an L2A, myself. Buzz do a beautiful repro, but even the used prices for those are now way more than I'd pay for a nylon windbreaker. Originals of those, at least in my size, seem very rare.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
(B15Cs excepted), they're still cheaper than the better reproductions.

Original Cs in good condition are crazy money now. They're my favourite nylon but there's no way I would contemplate spending the kind of money you have to now on one. Even BR prices make my eyes water.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I just glanced through the eBay completed listings for L-2bs and was not at all impressed. Looks like early '70s J series jackets, in reasonable condition and in size XL, were going for less than 50 USD. The only thing I saw break 100 USD was a 1961 Skyline...and that went for $120.00. It appears that the cheap asian knock-offs are selling...used...for more than orginals!

So I think my collection will be fine where it is, at least for now.

AF

Edward

Bartender
Original Cs in good condition are crazy money now. They're my favourite nylon but there's no way I would contemplate spending the kind of money you have to now on one. Even BR prices make my eyes water.

Most originals are out of my reach now - even if I did buy one, I'd be scared to wear it anywhere in case I destroyed it at that sort of price and rarity, so...

I just glanced through the eBay completed listings for L-2bs and was not at all impressed. Looks like early '70s J series jackets, in reasonable condition and in size XL, were going for less than 50 USD. The only thing I saw break 100 USD was a 1961 Skyline...and that went for $120.00. It appears that the cheap asian knock-offs are selling...used...for more than orginals!

So I think my collection will be fine where it is, at least for now.

AF

Buzz stuff sells higher than that, I suppose because it's being compared to the new price, and because maybe more folks are familiar with it than originals. The later L2Bs are beyonf my period of interest (c.1957, when the original MA1 came in, is the end of the line for me), but I suspect earlier stuff has more of a collectible value? Interesting how this pans out with nylons, where there isn't the highly marketable WW2 factor...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred