Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MAC Make-up in particular

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Hi

I'm thinking of downsizing my kit and I was hoping that I could get some suggestions from the lovely ladies here, as to which MAC shadows are particularly vintage-appropriate (good for recreating the look) and deserve a place in my palette.

I'd also be grateful to hear which MAC blushes you are loving.

(I pick MAC as I love the pro pan system and i have a wide range of them already)

Thanks

Tishka

Last edited:

angeljenny

A-List Customer
Downsizing? Wow - I have lots of make up!

I love MAC but I am pretty new to attempting vintage make up so it was more of a "oooh that is a pretty colour" rather than picking vintage colours.

Hopefully I will learn which to order next!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Ooh, I love MAC!

I have a lot of colours from MAC that lend themselves well to a vintage look, but mine are mostly from limited time collections, like the Barbie or Christmas lines. White is a popular vintage choice - try Gesso. If you're into gold shadows, try for Goldmine, and if you like blues, consider Idol Eyes. (Those two colours go particularly well with green or blue eyes, but will look very nice with brown or hazel eyes aswell.) Beige shadow and red lipstick is stunning together - Nylon is a nice one and has a golden colour to it, and Brulé is straight beige.

The Wonder Woman quads are still being sold online and while I wasn't blown away by the colour selection, the Valiant quad has some lovely whites and greens. Also, don't forget about their pigments. I snagged a stunning turquoise one from a sailor collection called Mutiny, which I believe is discontinued now, but the Teal is somewhat similar.

Blushers will depend entirely on your skin tone. Once again, I have a limited edition one called Summer Rose that I love, but before that I used to love Dame, which is mauve. I also used the beautiful Pink Swoon - very vividly pink. I would ask the make-up artist to help you find your most flattering shade.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Thanks for replying gals!

I currently have 10 MAC e/s 15pan palette' and 3 6pan blush palettes- it's getting quite a pain hauling out the palettes (mostly the e/s) for one shade out of each (I currebtly favour my neutrals, taupe browns and berry browns)- so i was thinking of just going with one 15pan for vintage looks. I do have a sew on my shortlist but wanted to see if they were mentioned by anyone else first. Here were my first ideas:

Gesso- matte white
Yogurt-matte pale pink
Mink pink- matte beige pink
Bisque - matte pink beige
Malt- matte pink beige but darker
Phloof- frosted pink white
Brun- deep ash brown
Copperplate- matte taupe grey
Print- Deep grey
Carbon- matte black

I also like Deep Damson which is a deeper berry pink. I like brule too- but it's slightly yelllow on me.

Also- any suggestions for shadow for grey eyes? The tips for blue or green eyes defintaly do not work grey eyes.

Thanks

Tishka

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Also- any suggestions for shadow for grey eyes? The tips for blue or green eyes defintaly do not work grey eyes.

Do you have grey eyes? I think they are amazing.

Naturally the only way to tell what colours work best on you is to see you in person. As a rule, though, grey eye colours work really well with charcoals, shades of violet, deep browns, and degrees of black. MAC has a Mineralize shadow called Rare Find that would look smashing, and if you can find it, one called Young Punk.

Again, as a rule, pinks don't really work with grey eyes - blue-based violets will do much more. Hep Cat and Vibrant Grape are beautiful examples of this colour.

My best suggestion would be to experiment, as I'm sure you know. It's the best way to find colours that work and that you are comfortable with, not to mention the most fun part. :)

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Hi C-dot.

Thanks for your replies. I do indeed have grey eyes, dark-grey. I think of them as the colour of a wet pavement! I have tried both Hepcat and Vibrant grape but the pink in them seemed to clash with my skin- bluer shades like parfait amour and Purple haze seemed to work better. I also found that the light beige pinks and deeper burgundy look good- seem to make my eyes look more intense but....... I seem to have lost my mojo with make-up at the moment (though i've just bought 2 new blushes- Tenderling & Blushbaby- more nude than I usually wear).

Do you think colored shadow can look vintage appropriate? I consigned myself to relagating my coloured shadows to the back of the drawer :(

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Do you think colored shadow can look vintage appropriate? I consigned myself to relagating my coloured shadows to the back of the drawer :(

No problem! I have a bit too much time on my hands, I think :rolleyes:

Coloured shadows are so vintage appropriate! Have a look at these links for colour swatches from the 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's. 40's make-up was quite natural, but you'll notice that green eyeshadows were popular in the other eras. By the mid 50's (my favourite era) women were wearing bright atomic colour eyeshadows too!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have a lot of makeup... My favorite MAC eyeshadow is soft brown. Kind of a pale, slightly reddish brown, perfect for vintage looks, and definitely not overwhelming. I also really like Haux, which is a soft purply brown. For blush I've been using Well Dressed, which is a light matte baby pink.

I like the mineralize line, but you gotta watch it because a lot of the products (esp blushes) tend to be shimmery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner