Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Macabre *Not For Everyone*

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have browsed many wares and seen many things over my time. I am interested in art, culture, philosophy and so many, many more things. Thus, I find myself deeply interested in some of the more morbid aspects of life.

While shopping years ago, I came across a custom artist that uses very interesting media. The artwork is stunning and beautiful, the artist is a gentleman and a scholar (at least in my personal correspondence) and the prices are reasonable considering the job requested.

I post this not only because the art is interesting but because the FL has Indy fans, macabre fans and many curious folks.

I sincerely do not intend to cause ruckus as I find some people at my workplace became slightly...hmm, worried about the following art. It is work-appropriate in most circles; I would feel comfortable showing this to my grandmother or 2 year old nephew. However I apologize if this is not suited for all sensibilities.

Modern Primitive Art

So...

What do you think of this art? Do you find it inspiring? Your thoughts on the media being controversial? Would you consider requesting a custom piece?

P.S. I put in a request for a jewelry box but the price of $1500 was too high for my budget. :( However, I may be able to afford that one day, and I'm sure I will buy one then!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Fascinating stuff!
Looks like the kind of thing you'd see Indiana Jones trying to save from the clutches of some unscrupulous Nazi Archeaologist!
As you say, nothing new. Been doing it for centuries!
K

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
A bit macabre...a bit sangfroid...certainly a conversation piece.

For centuries, the Capuchin friars used their dead brothers' skeletons to adorn their monasteries, as a way of focusing their attention away from the flesh and towards the world to come.
One of their mottos: WE WERE LIKE YOU. YOU WILL BE LIKE US.

:rolleyes:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OOOOOOOOHHH Dear! Chacun a son gout. I'll pass, thanks. But beautiful handiwork. This is sort of like the Viking who drinks you a toast drunk from a vanquished opponent's skull. Like I said, I'll pass.

Well...being an artist...I usually appreciate most any kinda art. In this case,tho...I just don't get it...hmmm..and not really sure that I want to. I guess it's the idea of..."authentically human" that gets to me. I wonder what "they" would think?.......
HD

nyx

One of the Regulars
On a sort of related note, Johanna, a member here at FL, creates some beautiful artwork, some of it on the macabre side, and I know she sells both originals and prints on her website. There's a link to her website somewhere on these forums....

Anyway, here's the address http://johannaost.com/

She does a lot of fantasy and dark fantasy inspired stuff, some a little scary and some just gorgeous :) I know it sounds like I'm plugging her stuff, but she's very talented, and I don't think she would tell anyone herself that she sells her work.

So, if you like some horror inspired things or just fantasy inspired, give her a looksee.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In a similar vein...

... check out the photographer Joel-Peter Witkin's work, if you are not yet familiar with it. Not my cup of tea but important work nonetheless.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
I like art forms and macabre sujets, Ars moriendi, Pert em Hemeru, Tibetan book of the dead, poems inspired by the danse macabre from the Middle Ages, Olim lacus Coluream from Carmina Burana, Goyas dark paintings etc. Those works are more about the spritual side of death.

Johannas artwork seems to me more on the symbolist side-she continues the Scandinavian Tradition of symbolism in her individual and GREAT way. Her medium is more traditional - graphics and painting w. mixed techniques.

The choice of raw materials of this artist is unique but the output looks to me rather like the den of the Predator. [huh]

Regards:

Tom

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Well the macabre aspect of the first link doesn't bother me but I like my goth-ish home decor a little more glam and a toucher subtler, honestly. More Victorian/Deco/Hollywood Regency, a little less on the actual bones-for-decor. Sorry.

But it is dramatic and I know some of my friends would ADORE it.

Johanna's stuff is more what I like, though.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
That type of art is not my style. I would feel uncomfortable displaying human remains. I like to see humans as whole or complete ( I am not a fan of gore, large amounts of blood and things of that nature). My husband is not grossed out, as he is a paramedic and in the Army and has seen many injuries and death. Now that I think about it, I chuckle at the fact I like law/crime shows ( including Bones) but couldn't bear the thought of actually seeing it up close.

On the other hand, I do give credit where it is deserved and can appreciate the creative mind and what it comes up with!

Foofoogal

Banned
It only fascinates me in the sense that Victorians were much more comfortable with death. They knew the neighbor couldn't save them as if they got a cold with no antibiotics they were gone.
I was totally put off but after being privy to the guys link that I put I can sort of see the beauty in it. Not the first link though.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:
It only fascinates me in the sense that Victorians were much more comfortable with death. They knew the neighbor couldn't save them as if they got a cold with no antibiotics they were gone.
I was totally put off but after being privy to the guys link that I put I can sort of see the beauty in it. Not the first link though.

Much less so with life. Piano and table "limbs" had to be covered and white and dark meat were used to descirbe fowl parts that could not be named.

I dunno. Death and violence do have a certain fascination for me. I've seen hundreds of those giallos and cannibal and zombie movies... but I'm vegetarian. I used to box, I've been in fights, I've seen Faces of Death... but something about this doesn't sit well with me.

Witkin, for example, I have problems with. He took his subjects from the city morgue in Mexico; most of them were homeless and "unclaimed", therefore, they could not have given their consent to Witkin for the work he would then do with their remains - like sawing a head just about in half, and then pulling it apart like a clamshell so it looked like the two pieces were kissing. They were essentially "found objects". The crazy, German, plastinator guy, though, gets the consent of his subjects, and as kitschy and really just hideous as his work is, at least the subjects knew what they were getting into. Same for the Capucins and the interees of the various cities of the dead... a personal knowledge of their coming use as cultural artifact.

I'm torn, I don't believe in God or heaven or hell, but I do believe that human beings, everyone of us, deserves to be treated with some dignity and respect right up to the moment we become dust and blow away with the mustard seeds. Aesthetisizing death or, even more-so, human remains, is, to my mind, a little dehumanizing unless the person has had an opportunity to consent and say, yes, I'd love to be an ashtray, or a door stop, or some sculpturally unlovely stack of bones with phony tattoos.

There's also an embarrassing sense of "aren't I bad" and "don't look if you have problems with MY ART". It's like performance art - which is often bad enough - only the artist is too chicken to do his/her own performance. "Hey, let's make the dead guy dance!"

I want to see more hunger artists, more artists who put their own mortality on display. And, really, couldn't an "artist" design a slightly less eye-peelingly awful web page or come up with a less witless nom de prout?

Chas

One Too Many
I've worked in hospitals and detox centers for 18 years; I won't say that I've seen it all, but it's pretty damn close. I wouldn't wish a lot of what I've seen on anyone I know or care about. So it takes a lot to shock me.

Art for art's sake. If what he does achieves his artistic aims, then I'm all for it. I would go to an opening or a show, if it was in reasonable driving distance, but I would have to say that I probably wouldn't leave with anything.

Foofoogal

Banned
Much less so with life. Piano and table "limbs" had to be covered and white and dark meat were used to descirbe fowl parts that could not be named.

None of (art) this is my forte and I wouldn't pay a nickel and walk across the street to see any of it. IMHO.

The Victorian age had a utensil for everything so you made me laugh with the piano limbs and fowl but I do think like I stated the mourning jewelry and photos made with hair is touching. I love beautiful things, not ugly things.

I cherish the life we are given and respect should be shown for all humans and animals.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
jake_fink said:
Witkin, for example, I have problems with. He took his subjects from the city morgue in Mexico; most of them were homeless and "unclaimed", therefore, they could not have given their consent to Witkin for the work he would then do with their remains - like sawing a head just about in half, and then pulling it apart like a clamshell so it looked like the two pieces were kissing. They were essentially "found objects". The crazy, German, plastinator guy, though, gets the consent of his subjects, and as kitschy and really just hideous as his work is, at least the subjects knew what they were getting into. Same for the Capucins and the interees of the various cities of the dead... a personal knowledge of their coming use as cultural artifact.

I'm torn, I don't believe in God or heaven or hell, but I do believe that human beings, everyone of us, deserves to be treated with some dignity and respect right up to the moment we become dust and blow away with the mustard seeds. Aesthetisizing death or, even more-so, human remains, is, to my mind, a little dehumanizing unless the person has had an opportunity to consent and say, yes, I'd love to be an ashtray, or a door stop, or some sculpturally unlovely stack of bones with phony tattoos.

There's also an embarrassing sense of "aren't I bad" and "don't look if you have problems with MY ART". It's like performance art - which is often bad enough - only the artist is too chicken to do his/her own performance. "Hey, let's make the dead guy dance!"

I want to see more hunger artists, more artists who put their own mortality on display. And, really, couldn't an "artist" design a slightly less eye-peelingly awful web page or come up with a less witless nom de prout?

It is hard to draw the line between what is art and "something else". I don't view it is art. And if it is not art, then what do we call it? But then I suppose people would make the arguement that Native Indian art work on animal hides is not art either because it involves the remains of something that was once living also. Or then some would comment that tattooing is or is not a form of artwork. Thoughts anyone? (I hope I am making sense!)

I certainly don't wish to have my body handled in the manner described above and would never consent to it. Dontating my organs to a dying person? Yes by all means. Donating my body to science? Yes. Having my remains used for someone else's home decor? No thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran