Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maclachlin and Dobbs Review

I can help you there actually. The guy must have two left hands because the hat says 7 3/4 in it. LOL LOL
Look at the picture in the second row on the right. Click to enlarge and we have a clear picture of the size tag---7 3/4. :D (I never believe anything those people measure.)
I am not saying that the hat is fifty years old or anything but it is a style that you have shown a previous interest in and it is a fedora from one of the better makers of the time--I don't know about now. ;)
It might be worth taking a chance on. The inside says flying cloud. At 7 3/4 it should be flying rowboat or schooner like the picture. LOL LOL

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by jamespowers
I can help you there actually. The guy must have two left hands because the hat says 7 3/4 in it. LOL LOL
Look at the picture in the second row on the right. Click to enlarge and we have a clear picture of the size tag---7 3/4. :D (I never believe anything those people measure.)

Do you think he could miss by 2.5 inches? I guess it's possible. The sweatband looks a bit wavy, so maybe that's the problem. If the price stays low (and no-one here competes on it :)), I might go for it.

David

Originally posted by Canadave
Do you think he could miss by 2.5 inches? I guess it's possible. The sweatband looks a bit wavy, so maybe that's the problem. If the price stays low (and no-one here competes on it :)), I might go for it.

David

David,

Now, be serious. Will all the people here with size 7 3/4 heads please stand up. LOL LOL
I doubt you will find much competition here. :D
I also would probably would trust the label in the hat far more than I would that one armed seller. :D The liner would have to have been replaced and the wrong size label installed. I doubt that. :eek:
By the way, my chart says that a size 7 3/4 should measure 24 2/8" a 7 7/8 should measure 24 5/8." Is this right or do I need a new chart? :(

Regards to all,

J

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Fedoralover wrote

Well I stretched the Mac and now it fits perfect, so needless to say I will be keeping it. I have a vintage wooden hat stretcher in a size 7 1/4 that puts pressure on all the way around the crown. I"ve found that if I put just a little stretch on it and then steam it, that gives me the extra size up I need. I've experimented with this technique and for sizing up 1 size it works well and it seems to hold. However if you put too much pressure on it and steam it, it will create a bulge around the bottom of the crown. I have experimented on some work hats to see the limits of this technique and have successfully done it several times now.

regards fedoralover

On hat stretchers has anyone used the electric ones?

What is a good brand on the wooden ones?

Thanks!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I believe Andy has one as well as Art. He posted about it some time ago. As to wooden ones, I'm not sure what a good brand would be on the new ones. I got one off ebay that is very old and heavy. They come in different sizes and of course the larger ones are harder to find.

regards fedoralover

JazzIsTvRicky

New in Town
I should also warn you that you will not find any decent vintage 7 5/8 hats on eBay. Don't even bother looking. They all stink like cigars and have rips in them. Just stay away from them. LOL LOL LOL
You kill me AndyKev. Have you seen this one yet? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14065&item=8114279417&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW or maybe this one is more your style:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14065&item=8113783607&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
They are both your perfect size. You can thank me later. LOL LOL

Regards to all,

J
I totally disagree with you my friend. I found an auction Borsalino Alexandria originally sold from Henri and Henri in superb condition for 112,50. Size 7 5/8

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0034.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0036.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0037.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0039.jpeg
    IMG_0039.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0040.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0042.jpeg
    IMG_0042.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20

quikrick

One Too Many
I totally disagree with you my friend. I found an auction Borsalino Alexandria originally sold from Henri and Henri in superb condition for 112,50. Size 7 5/8
*ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT*
1. You are answering a going on 20 year old thread.
2. I think he was trying to be funny/sarcastic.

And, oh.... Welcome to the lounge! NICE HAT, great score.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara