Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Hi, is somebody familiar with how partnerships work as it seems to me that Don would have more power being a founding partner than he seems to have. Can (if this wasn't a TV show) the other partners really force him to report to somebody that far down the line? Could he demand to be bought out? I am not familiar with the rights of partners, but I would think he would have more rights than he seems to have?

It mostly revolves around how the partnership operating agreement was written. I know some partnerships are written so if you wanted to leave you had to sell partnership for $1 to the other partners but if the others wanted to buy you out, they'd have to assess the fair market value & pay your percentage of that.

Daily operations of the business, such as who reports to who, is not covered in as much as saying a partner can't be demoted or assigned to clean the restrooms...just state you have to remain an employee of record...

Last edited:

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
It is a well-dressed soap opera and just about everybody in it is evil (the exceptions among the adults: Megan and Trudy) but it's still well done.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Not a directly Mad Men article, but perhaps a vestige to those times. The end of an era. The end of the BAR CAR on the NorthEastern rail lines pulling out of Grand Central Terminal.

Snippet:
Since before World War II, when rail was king and Prohibition was dead, the rolling saloon has been a national staple — its contents relied upon to make the strangers less strange, the commutes less interminable. At the end, there were only four bar cars left, according to the American Public Transportation Association, all on Metro-North.

On Thursday, the regulars were left to reminisce, toasting the traveling Christmas parties and medium-stakes sports wagers, softball league allegiances forged on the rails and love stories that owed their start to the spirits of the New Haven line.
Fullstory:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/10/nyregion/at-the-end-of-the-line-a-final-toast-to-the-bar-car.html?hp&_r=1

also
http://pix11.com/2014/05/05/last-metro-north-bar-cars-to-be-phased-out-this-week/#axzz31Fve3Yyf

st0119stbarcar-901.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"The Monolith" (last week's episode) was one of the best that I've seen, loaded as it was with 2001 references. I enjoy these sorts of visual puzzles. Kubrick did as well, which is also fun. It's been a good season.

It's sad about its artificial bifurcation, which may possibly interrupt the forward thrust of the narrative.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
^^^^ As I warned earlier.... they can delay this thing to the point where nobody cares. It was an interesting episode to say the least... Series doesn't say much about Don's errr... "taste in women". His ex wouild give Cersi Lannister a run for her money as "Monster of the Year" and his current spouse is one hot mess as well. I'm surprised though... that I even care.

Worf

This last episode felt like one from the earlier seasons to me. I really enjoyed all the crazy.

The most recent episode is by far the best this season as well as last. I've been afraid that Mad Men is going the way that Lost went, turning into incomprehensible, babbling mush the last few seasons. Perhaps last week's episode signals that Wiener actually has a plan (unlike the producers of Lost).

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Perhaps last week's episode signals that Wiener actually has a plan (unlike the producers of Lost).
He claims he's known the ending all along. He's basically had the entire story outlined from the beginning. If there is a pipe in the spokes, it's how AMC is demanding him to handle the ending; splitting it into two seasons and with an extra two episodes. He's never seemed happy about that.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
^^^^ As I warned earlier.... they can delay this thing to the point where nobody cares. It was an interesting episode to say the least... Series doesn't say much about Don's errr... "taste in women". His ex wouild give Cersi Lannister a run for her money as "Monster of the Year" and his current spouse is one hot mess as well. I'm surprised though... that I even care.

Worf

I cannot stand Betsy - she is horrible, a horrible mother (her kids have to be screwed up as she is a manipulative, emotionally blackmailing, inconsistent, petty and mean mother), a horrible wife, a horrible friend, a horrible employer (her housekeeper was the only always caring adult in her children's lives and she fired her in a fit of petty spite) - did I mention she is horrible. The new wife started out as a decent stable women and became, as you so aptly put it, a hot mess. Her change has almost been too much to the point that she fails the real-world-person test.

Betty has been consistently horrible (a real person). Megan seemed stable, smart, caring and aware of the crazy around her and able to stabilize it (watch the early episodes when she was Don's secretary and then started dating him) - her transition to hot mess has never felt real to me. It has always felt like they needed more drama, so they tilted her hard off center.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
BTW

NYT article on the theory that Megan might be patterned after Manson victim Sharon Tate
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/fashion/does-sharon-tate-hold-a-clue-to-the-mad-men-finale.html?ref=fashion
Basically, viewers have noticed that the fashionable touch of Meghan wearing a Tshirt, was reminescent of Sharon Tate, Roman Polanki's Wife, who was murdered in 1969 by Charles Manson.
1834291.jpg

I half expected that little shindig last week to wind up in just that manner...

Worf

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Between 'menages a trois' with Don, wife & girlfriend in LA and crazy Michael self mutilating his nipple then offering it to Peggy as a gift (& blaming it on the new office computer!). Then Betty returning to 'type' as the dysfunctional spoilt wife/mother from hell... I'm finding it all a mess! I know how Don Draper feels..!!!!

Someone pour me a drink QUICK..!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
and crazy Michael self mutilating his nipple then offering it to Peggy as a gift (& blaming it on the new office computer!).
I find it interesting that, by feedback from the professionals in the crowd, they may have accurately written a character with schizophrenia. It's overshadowed by misinterpreted homophobia and 2001 references, but it lives up to the high quality of this show and potentially, perfectly represents the intense research these writers do. Made me want to re-read The Eden Express by Mark Vonnegut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ