Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
We got up to SEVEN in one day at one point, which I think was a bit too much.

However, my observation on initially seeing it so compressed is that while many small details and short-term characters are easier to recall, some of the most important plot points don't have anywhere near the impact that they did when it took years of waiting to reach them. Having a character from the first season reappear in the fourth season isn't such a big deal when you just saw them two weeks before! The huge turning-point episodes - The Gypsy and the Hobo, Shut the Door Have a Seat, The Suitcase - didn't seem to rock my sister nearly as much as I expected.

But it sure was intense: an endless novel for TV, unique and wonderful!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
When my wife and I got into the series season 3 was on TV, so we rented seasons 1 and 2 and watched them similar to what you did. I have to agree it has a much different feel than waiting a week or two between episodes.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
It was a shocker indeed. We knew it was coming, but it was still a punch in the gut. And the ending was so weirdly poignant.

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
Excellent episode. All of the character's reactions were really well acted, they made it even more intense and tragic.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Man, when Don has a bad day at work, he has a bad day at work!

You certainly got that chit right! As much as he's failed, lied, connived and been given grace by God, men AND women in this life, you think he'd a had a little more empathy, a little bit of compassion. Wow. This will haunt him, litterally and figuratively, for the rest of his natural life!

Worf

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
Yes! Just awful. A little *too* realistic use of makeup! When the car engine wouldn't turn over, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Yeah the color and the broken capillaries made it look genuine. If I didn't know it was a fictional story I might've thought it a real life crime show.
As for the car engine not starting up, I hoped he would take it as a sign to not do it. :(

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Yeah the color and the broken capillaries made it look genuine. If I didn't know it was a fictional story I might've thought it a real life crime show.
As for the car engine not starting up, I hoped he would take it as a sign to not do it. :(

I was hoping the same thing. I also thought that Don would do some soul searching and realize that the company needed Price and reconcile with him and call him after his meeting and tell him it would work out. This season has been very intense to say the least.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
...you think he'd a had a little more empathy, a little bit of compassion. Wow. This will haunt him, literally and figuratively, for the rest of his natural life!

I struggled with this. At first I thought, too, that Don was being too hard, but by the end of his talk with Lane I could tell that he really wasn't. He could have handed Lane to the police. He could have exposed him to the other partners, the staff, his family - completely ruined him. But he wanted to give him a second chance to make his life over. The only thing is, Don was able to pick up and leave the past behind numerous times, and its not so easy for everyone, especially in the face of failure.

I agree that Don will be haunted by the guilt. Anyone would. I'm sure that he would never have let Lane go if he had the slightest suspicion that Lane would do this.

Powerful stuff!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
I, too, thought Don was trying hard to be graceful in this situation in not exposing Lane to everyone. Especially since Lane had broken his trust in forging his signature and I can see why he simply could not trust him to worth the company's finances. It really is a shame Lane didn't confide his financial woes to Don previously, I think he would have helped. Lane's pride got in the way of asking.

I miss Peggy.

Last edited:
My mom's favorite part of Sunday's episode was Don teaching Glen how to drive. She said, "Boy, even after a worse day than most have had, he still is able to do something nice for the kid." That's my favorite trait of Don's, he's a good father-figure.

This was the first episode that my dad has watched. He felt it was pretty intense lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails