Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Barbigirl

Practically Family
I'm really struck by how completely shut out of what was really going on Lane'e wife was, her whole world facade. Just imaginethe shock of finding out what was really going on. I don't have any particular fondness for her but what a horrible situation to find yourself in. Ugh, and buying him the car with a check after getting fired.

Glad I have never been in that sort of a partner/relationship.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I'm really struck by how completely shut out of what was really going on Lane'e wife was, her whole world facade. Just imaginethe shock of finding out what was really going on. I don't have any particular fondness for her but what a horrible situation to find yourself in. Ugh, and buying him the car with a check after getting fired.

Glad I have never been in that sort of a partner/relationship.

"Lives of quiet desperation." A lot of people who, on the outside at least, appear to have it all can fool a lot of people an awfully long time. But eventually the tide takes them and pulls them under. "Keeping up appearences" I think the Brits called it. Flat broke, without a pot to pee in but you're still pretending "everything's alright". Sigh...

Worf

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
This whole series, when seen in its totality, is nothing less than amazing. It's clear that Don's spiral towards the abyss is accelerating. However, I don't agree with the assessment that Lane's self-inflicted demise will "haunt" Don. He was able to "solider on" after Adam's suicide and I think that he'll be able to lock this one away into one of his internal file drawers.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just watched it. I feel like I've been punched in the gut. I was in tears when Lane got in the car, then when it wouldn't start...oh my. I thought he wouldn't go through with it, but I was sadly wrong.

I loved the ending, though, of Don helping Glen out with one of the things he wanted to do.

Such a powerful episode. And I did like how Sally still needs her mother - and I hope that relationship will improve a bit, though with Betty, I'm not holding my breath.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Such a powerful episode. And I did like how Sally still needs her mother - and I hope that relationship will improve a bit, though with Betty, I'm not holding my breath.

Betty can be a piece of work. When Sally wrapped her arms around her, you could actually see Betty soften from "we'll deal with it" to "it's okay, sweetheart". I liked that, I hope it stays that way.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I struggled with this. At first I thought, too, that Don was being too hard, but by the end of his talk with Lane I could tell that he really wasn't. He could have handed Lane to the police. He could have exposed him to the other partners, the staff, his family - completely ruined him. But he wanted to give him a second chance to make his life over. The only thing is, Don was able to pick up and leave the past behind numerous times, and its not so easy for everyone, especially in the face of failure.

I agree that Don will be haunted by the guilt. Anyone would. I'm sure that he would never have let Lane go if he had the slightest suspicion that Lane would do this.

Powerful stuff!

My first thought was that Don would let Lane stay and work it out, but if he had, at some point the money trail would have gone right back to Don, since his signature - forged or not - was on the check. It could have been more of a liability for Don to let Lane stay, ethically and in order to maintain his own power status within the company.

When Lane couldn't get the Jag to start, I thought he was over with the notion of suicide. I didn't even think about it when he went to the office. It was a bit of a "screw you, here's my resignation" to Don. Yet Don was the only one who cared enough for Lane to remove his lifeless body from that awful position and lay him on the couch. So what if the Coroners hadn't made their investigation - he wanted at least a drop of dignity for Lane.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I didn't even think about it when he went to the office. It was a bit of a "screw you, here's my resignation" to Don. Yet Don was the only one who cared enough for Lane to remove his lifeless body from that awful position and lay him on the couch. So what if the Coroners hadn't made their investigation - he wanted at least a drop of dignity for Lane.

It broke my heart when Roger opened the envelope and said it was a boilerplate resignation letter... :(

Don does seem to be the only really compassionate one around the office lately, doesn't he?

Lily Powers

Practically Family
It broke my heart when Roger opened the envelope and said it was a boilerplate resignation letter... :(

Don does seem to be the only really compassionate one around the office lately, doesn't he?

Oh, you're so right! Just that one word, boilerplate, made such a difference in how Lane's actions were perceived. Such a subtlety, yet so strong. Looking forward to next week's episode! (It usually shows at 10PM on the west coast, but on the HD channel, everything on AMC airs 3-hours earlier, so I don't have to wait that late anymore!)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Oh, you're so right! Just that one word, boilerplate, made such a difference in how Lane's actions were perceived. Such a subtlety, yet so strong. Looking forward to next week's episode! (It usually shows at 10PM on the west coast, but on the HD channel, everything on AMC airs 3-hours earlier, so I don't have to wait that late anymore!)

Lucky you! I go to bed on Sundays before the show airs, so I watch it Monday evening, and try not to peek into this thread before ;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Anyone want to speculate how the season will end...?

I really can't imagine, considering what they've already thrown at us! Lane's suicide, Peggy's resignation, Joan's prostitution... what more could possibly happen?

From the preview, it looks like Megan is receiving prank phone calls at home. Any votes on creepy Glenn? :lol:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The preview I just watched on AMC.com didn't have any of that - wasn't even a preview of all, just a mish-mash of what has happened over the season. Wonder if there's a different one on t.v.?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It does seem like Megan is getting prank called. So that has to be Glenn. Also it appears that Don is alone in a motel room, perhaps after a Megan fight?!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What a rather 'sad' episode. I really liked Lane's character and actually think he was one of the 'good guys!' Unfortunately, being the typically 'British' Gentleman that he was, when his character, honour and reputation was attacked he was backed into a corner that 'the only way out' (as he saw it) was to fall on his sword and take his own life.
As for Don...I have a feeling he has a 'Dorian Gray' type painting hidden away that with every incident, becomes older, uglier and decrepid, whilst 'he' looks youthful, beautiful and guilt free on the outside, presented to the rest of the world around him. He's a tragic hero.
Camelot, sadly...is crumbling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails