Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
I read somewhere that they were planning on 2 more seasons. But I don't know if they actually have contracts for 2 more seasons with the actors/creators/AMC.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Matt Weiner and Jon Hamm are both signed for one more season with an option for a second. I don't know about the other actors and creative staff, but certainly all involved want it to continue for as long as AMC and Lionsgate are willing to keep making it.

Personally, I'd be happy with either one or two more seasons, as long as the quality remains the same (that is, awesome). The show is so amazing...

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
It would be VERY interesting to see this end in some sort of retrospective... Say the Millennium Year. Don about 75, Roger (if still kicking) about 88, Joan 69, Peggy 61, and Sally 45(?). Pete, of course, would have been murdered by a coworker. Do the whole final episode from a piece-to-camera perspective. (Although THAT whole approach to story-telling has gone way past cliche thanks to The Office, Parks & Rec, and Modern Family.)

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I read somewhere that they were planning on 2 more seasons. But I don't know if they actually have contracts for 2 more seasons with the actors/creators/AMC.

I read that too - Matthew Weiner, the man who created the show, wants to go 7 seasons and pull out while the show is doing well. Someone asked Jon Hamm how he'd like to see the series end, and he said, "Exactly the way the guy who created it wants it to end." I like how Hamm is just an actor doing a job and not overly emotionally involved in the character.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Sheesh. What a generalization that is!

No wonder, considering how she arranged her priorities:

Ms. Maas has said that her priorities were career first, husband second and children third, and that she would feel the same way if she were starting again today.

I'm a little bored with these "I was there!" stories that say how Mad Men really isn't what life was like in the 60s. Do people assume that a historically correct aesthetic automatically makes the show a documentary?

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I'm not ready for it to be the season finale!

The season went by so quickly! Based on the movie theme song in the theater where Don ran into Peggy and the closing song, "You Only Live Twice," it's 1967. I think last week's episode was more powerful (although John Slattery's trainer/workout routine is to be commended) and this episode closed the season with a bit of a "meh" for me. Loved the visual of the partners standing in a row in the vacant office space, looking at the view from the new digs. Still having hard time getting past Pete being lascivious with "Rory Gilmore" (if anyone recognizes Alexis Bledell from "Gilmore Girls"). Anyone know when Season 6 will start?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I'm a little bored with these "I was there!" stories that say how Mad Men really isn't what life was like in the 60s. Do people assume that a historically correct aesthetic automatically makes the show a documentary?

Agreed. Moreover, too much depends on individual circumstances, different locations, and also the variable lens of human memory looking back 50 years ago.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed the change of pace episode after the sturm and drang of the last 2 weeks or so. Just when I was going to shovel dirt on Pete's humanity he surprises me by his rare display of understanding and empathy. Meghan shows she's not above back stabbing to get ahead in her chosen career. And Don's dead brother home from the hills to remind Don that sucide runs in the family. Is it me or is Ginsberg losing it? Showing up at meetings in a "Catskills Yellow" jacket and stained shirt is crazy!!! Is he trying to be the "anti-Don"? Great series... long summer.

Worf

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Wow. The ending with Don in the bar with the blonde...hmm. A harbinger of things to come and a return to his past cad behavior? I hope not. I really liked him this season.

The whole scene with Lane's wife confused me a bit - I take it she thought Lane was cheating when she found the pic in the wallet (nice how they brought that little tidbit back), but wasn't sure what the whole financial thing was about.

I loved seeing Peggy and Don run into each other in the movie theater! Nice. Not sure what the two dogs outside of Peggy's hotel window were supposed to symbolize, but whatever. lol

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
tumblr_m5g4ruSRL41qz9qooo1_1280.jpg

Sterling Cooper Draper Holloway

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The whole scene with Lane's wife confused me a bit - I take it she thought Lane was cheating when she found the pic in the wallet (nice how they brought that little tidbit back), but wasn't sure what the whole financial thing was about.

I think she believed that Don (and company) corrupted Lane, "frequenting brothels", etc. The check Don gave her she thought was for his piece of mind and could never repay what Lane contributed to SCDP.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Is it me or is Ginsberg losing it?

I can't make Ginsberg out. Is he impatient because he thinks he's too much of a genius to start at the bottom...?

tumblr_m5g4ruSRL41qz9qooo1_1280.jpg

Sterling Cooper Draper Holloway

Fantastic picture. Thanks for posting it :)

I think she believed that Don (and company) corrupted Lane, "frequenting brothels", etc. The check Don gave her she thought was for his piece of mind and could never repay what Lane contributed to SCDP.

She probably saw it that way in part because she is a cold, cold person! No wonder Lane fantasized about Playboy bunnies and young girls in photographs...

Last edited:

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
It would be VERY interesting to see this end in some sort of retrospective... Say the Millennium Year. Don about 75, Roger (if still kicking) about 88, Joan 69, Peggy 61, and Sally 45(?). Pete, of course, would have been murdered by a coworker. Do the whole final episode from a piece-to-camera perspective. (Although THAT whole approach to story-telling has gone way past cliche thanks to The Office, Parks & Rec, and Modern Family.)

That would be an interesting way to end the series, but I remember reading an article I think between the 3rd and 4th season, that Matthew Weiner said with Don's drinking and smoking habits that he wouldn't live past the mid-1980's. Personally I would love the last episode to show the characters at later points in the 20th century. Imagine Peggy trying to come up with a pitch for Windows 95, or Pete Trying to land a deal with Ted Turner when he was starting up Cartoon Network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails