Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
That would be an interesting way to end the series, but I remember reading an article I think between the 3rd and 4th season, that Matthew Weiner said with Don's drinking and smoking habits that he wouldn't live past the mid-1980's. Personally I would love the last episode to show the characters at later points in the 20th century. Imagine Peggy trying to come up with a pitch for Windows 95, or Pete Trying to land a deal with Ted Turner when he was starting up Cartoon Network.

I can't imagine Pete living that long unless he quits getting into fights! lol

Gene

Practically Family
I seriously hope Don is back to his old ways. Since his chastity with Meghan his storylines are kind of boring, and his moral ambiguity is what made him a great character to watch, not the trying-to-do-the-right-thing guy we've seen the past season. I think Roger is headed towards a self-fulfilling prophecy of becoming an eccentric like Cooper, and I'm looking forward to Ginsberg being more of an antagonist this next season.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Best scenes last episode (there were so many good ones):

No. 1: Mrs Pryce telling off Don. Sure, she's not a sympathetic character (I think she's pretty) but she's right. Sad even she didn't respect Lane. Don's still the Don, though. He was right to fire Lane even though of course I felt sorry for Lane.

Roger and Marie. She's not as hot as his old girlfriend, another brunette, from before the war but... sizzle. Good point about him becoming eccentric like Bert. As others have written here, lots of people in the '60s didn't lose their style but quietly went along with some of the changes. Roger dropping acid's an example. Maybe he, not Don like someone wrote here, will drop out of the biz and end up at Esalen on the Left Coast. He's rich enough to do it.

Nice they didn't write out Peggy.

I still want Don to remain faithful.

I wrote off Pete's blurt on the train starting the fight as a character flaw or immaturity (he is a little boy) but good point about him being empathetic for a change.

How common was it then for divorcees to revert to their maiden names? I've been thinking Sterling Cooper Draper Campbell Harris.

Great plot twists this season with Joan and Lane, both entirely in character. Those, 'Zou Bisou Bisou' and the Lane/Pete fistfight are probably the season's most memorable moments.

First episode next season will probably land in '68.

Two more seasons sounds right. End around 1970 with Roger and Joan together raising their son. I have mixed feelings about a last-episode fast-forward in time. Of course I don't want the golden era to go away.

I like the 'I was there' stories to correct any of the show's mistakes. I'm Kevin Harris' age so I'm learning. 1. Of course it's stylized; it's a soap opera meant to entertain. 2. It's not 'Happy Days', thank God. It's raised the bar for period shows.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I thought the whole episode was sweet/sentimental (with the exception of Julia Ormond as Marie Calvet, who's not aging well IMHO). Nice semi-closure on a lot of story lines.

Really? I think she looks amazing! Very chic as Marie Calvet.

The whole scene with Lane's wife confused me a bit - I take it she thought Lane was cheating when she found the pic in the wallet (nice how they brought that little tidbit back), but wasn't sure what the whole financial thing was about.

Not sure what the two dogs outside of Peggy's hotel window were supposed to symbolize, but whatever. lol

I didn't "get" the whole thing with Lane's wife either in regards to the check, but now it makes sense.

I think the dogs outside Peggy's hotel window were a reality check. There she is on her first business trip, expecting it to be all glamorous - especially after all the talk of possibly going to Paris back at SCDP.

rue

I seriously hope Don is back to his old ways. Since his chastity with Meghan his storylines are kind of boring, and his moral ambiguity is what made him a great character to watch, not the trying-to-do-the-right-thing guy we've seen the past season. I think Roger is headed towards a self-fulfilling prophecy of becoming an eccentric like Cooper, and I'm looking forward to Ginsberg being more of an antagonist this next season.

Agreed.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I seriously hope Don is back to his old ways. Since his chastity with Meghan his storylines are kind of boring, and his moral ambiguity is what made him a great character to watch, not the trying-to-do-the-right-thing guy we've seen the past season.

I think he might be, although the last scene was left up in the air. He mentioned to Peggy, very ruefully, "when you help someone succeed, they move on without you" before he watched Megan's screen test again and got her the commercial. Maybe that's what he was afraid of, but didn't want to hold her back.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
ITA with you ladies, I much prefer seedy Don! So much more interesting. :lol:

I think he might be, although the last scene was left up in the air. He mentioned to Peggy, very ruefully, "when you help someone succeed, they move on without you" before he watched Megan's screen test again and got her the commercial. Maybe that's what he was afraid of, but didn't want to hold her back.

I swear I'm not one of "those people" but the quote was, "That's what happens when you help someone, they succeed and move on." Even though it was directed at Peggy, I think that (in Don's mind) the statement applied to Lane and Don's brother, and his "failure" to help them. I believe that also influenced his decision to help Megan get the commercial.

In other news, Ginsberg drives me batty. I just can't figure him out.

I also hate to admit that I actually felt sadness for Pete when his love interest (sorry, can't remember her name) didn't remember him after her shock therapy.

Last edited:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
xc

I also hate to admit that I actually felt sadness for Pete when his love interest (sorry, can't remember her name) didn't remember him after her shock therapy.

Ginsburg is not afraid of Don, which either makes him gutsy or stupid.
There is some debate online as to whether Pete's love interest actually really did remember him, and was just looking for an excuse to end it after having one last romp. That's something we'll probably never know the answer to.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
xc

There is some debate online as to whether Pete's love interest actually really did remember him, and was just looking for an excuse to end it after having one last romp. That's something we'll probably never know the answer to.

I thought of this, too...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I swear I'm not one of "those people" but the quote was, "That's what happens when you help someone, they succeed and move on." Even though it was directed at Peggy, I think that (in Don's mind) the statement applied to Lane and Don's brother, and his "failure" to help them. I believe that also influenced his decision to help Megan get the commercial.

I believe you lol I couldn't remember exactly what he said so I figured I'd shoot for the gist. I think your right about the meaning, and Ginsberg also drives me batty. He's delicious looking, though.

Am I a terrible person for not feeling sorry for Pete? lol I just cannot muster any sympathy for him any longer. The last time I felt a little bad for him was probably in Season 1.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I believe you lol I couldn't remember exactly what he said so I figured I'd shoot for the gist. I think your right about the meaning, and Ginsberg also drives me batty. He's delicious looking, though.

Am I a terrible person for not feeling sorry for Pete? lol I just cannot muster any sympathy for him any longer. The last time I felt a little bad for him was probably in Season 1.

I don't feel sorry for him, either! He's a cad and I think he's even worse than Don. He's just repels me.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I personally don't believe she did remember him, although I suppose that's entirely possible. So tough to tell with this show sometimes. I found that scene heartbreaking because it seemed like she was the only life raft left in Pete's self-created life of misery.

You aren't a terrible person at all - Pete's a total sleaze. :lol: In fact, I really can't believe how low he's sunk this season.

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
I don't think she remembered Pete. I was expecting a shot of her after he left with some sort of hint of her really knowing him, but there was nothing. Maybe we're not sorry for Pete because he has been a little snot from the start, and he doesn't appreciate anything that he has.
I want Don to go back to his old ways, one season of him being whipped was enough. I also hope that there is less Megan next year, I just felt like she was being force fed to us. I wasn't a fan of the Zou Bisou.
I was disappointed not to see any Betty in the finale. Her weight issue was a weak story for her this season. Why didn't they just have her be pregnant again, or they could have just hidden the actress's pregnancy like every other show does.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I heard a rumor a while back that January Jones' behavior/attitude led the producers to really cut back her storylines this year. No idea if that's true or not! (Celebrity gossip is my weakness...) Annoying as Betty is, I do think she makes an interesting character.

I too want to see Don back to being a cad, and please, LESS Megan! :lol:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I personally don't believe she did remember him, although I suppose that's entirely possible. So tough to tell with this show sometimes. I found that scene heartbreaking because it seemed like she was the only life raft left in Pete's self-created life of misery.

I'm pretty certain she didn't remember him, only because she went to the trouble of finding him and seducing him just beforehand, but prior to that, after they had slept together the first time, she didn't want to know him. The imminent shock treatment must have changed her mind.

I too want to see Don back to being a cad, and please, LESS Megan! :lol:

Maybe they'll be divorced by the start of Season 6!

I didn't like Megan either this season, but I can't figure out why. Does anyone here know why they didn't take to her, apart from her being force-fed to us (which I agree with)? It may help me figure it out.

Last edited:

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
I liked Megan in small doses as a secretary. But as Don's wife you saw how pouty and immature she really is. Although betty was pouty and immature too, but she was quieter about it I guess. There's something deeper to Betty than Megan.

I didn't get Ginsberg. He started out as someone I wanted to know more about, his back story was interesting. But now whenever they show him he's just off the wall or angry about something. I guess he was just brought in to help Peggy decide to move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails