Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

texasgirl

One Too Many
This week's Advertising Age magazine has a "Mad Men" Issue attachment. It's at the end, and you have to flip it upside down. It has all kinds of interesting articles about 60s advertising, news about Don Draper getting a new account. A Sterling Cooper Portfolio. It's really cool.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
From the aspect of being truthful to the period, most ad man from that time says it wasn't at all like MAD MEN show. I think it is more like a "hyper-realism" taking all the aspect of the social and work world and cramming it all into offices of Sterling Cooper.

The most interesting thing I find is the series's creator saying Don Draper is really a 60's Jay Gatsby. He is not who he seems and is a self-created entity.

texasgirl

One Too Many
It's the June 23rd issue of Ad age- you can probably get it at Barnes and Noble- here's some more info about it

For example, Lionsgate is sponsoring the make-believe issue of Advertising Age, which comes out on Monday and takes the form of a 16-page ad section in the actual June 23 issue. The idea was the brainchild of Initiative, which is the Lionsgate media agency.

The ad supplement is designed to resemble how Advertising Age looked in 1960, when the first season of “Mad Men” is set. One highlight is an imaginary interview with the main character, a conflicted creative director named Don Draper. (Mr. Weiner provides his answers.)

“We worked very closely with Matthew Weiner on all of this so it has his touch,” said Anne Parducci, executive vice president for marketing at Lionsgate Home Entertainment in Santa Monica, Calif.

“It makes perfect sense that the ad community would become fans,” she added, and to make the series “our next big hit” the goal is to expand beyond the “hard-core fan base.”

Interspersed with the faux articles in the ad section, which cover plot lines from “Mad Men” as if they actually happened, there are articles carrying headlines like “How TV Alters U.S. Elections” (after the Kennedy-Nixon presidential race) and “Auto Sales Hitting 6.6 Million” (compared with 16.15 million last year).

“Advertising Age has been around for 78 years and it’s fun to do something that taps into our history,” said Allison P. Arden, vice president and publisher at Advertising Age in New York, part of Crain Communications.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/23/b...em&ex=1214366400&en=ec6d481da09932ef&ei=5087

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Brian Sheridan said:
The most interesting thing I find is the series's creator saying Don Draper is really a 60's Jay Gatsby. He is not who he seems and is a self-created entity.

Well said. Like Gatsby, he's also deeply flawed, despite the appearance of a perfect life.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
goldwyn girl said:
Is this in the July issue ? Where do you get Advertising Age magazine ? Thanks guys :)

Yep, the current issue, which I believe is July. If you click on the link in the original message, it'll take you to the page with a little "making of" clip on the photo spread.

Also, the series on DVD comes out in a few weeks (in a box that looks like a giant classic Zippo lighter...) or you can download the whole season for a couple bucks less on iTunes and watch now.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
texasgirl said:
This week's Advertising Age magazine has a "Mad Men" Issue attachment. It's at the end, and you have to flip it upside down. It has all kinds of interesting articles about 60s advertising, news about Don Draper getting a new account. A Sterling Cooper Portfolio. It's really cool.

Hmmm...it seems very un-Whi...I mean very un-Draper-ish that he'd go for a writeup in a national magazine. I'll definitely have to check it out though.

And for those who haven't seen it, as one or two others mentioned...it takes a few episodes to get drawn in.

texasgirl

One Too Many
So I broke down and got the DVD set after watching the pilot online. I have about 4 episodes left, and I am loving it. I've been trying to spread it out so I'll finish close to the season 2 premiere, but that's not going to happen. The characters are interesting, and I love all the dapper looking men and curvy girls. I was surprised to see Mrs Reynolds (Firefly?!!?) Anyway, I just read that season 2 picks up on Feb 14, 1962, so what's that, about year and half ahead of where they leave off? I'm at Labor Day right now. Anyway, good stuff! The DVD set is pretty cool too. It's like a big Zippo lighter, and the discs are kinda like flames.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Mad Men racked up a whopping 16 Emmy Award nominations - something previously unheard of for a basic-cable channel series!

Nice to see that quality is recognized, even when it's not from the networks or premium cable channels...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo