Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Bingles

A-List Customer
I didn't get into the show until I saw the complete Season 1 the Sunday before the season premier of season 2. Watching them all back to back was awesome! My only complaint... they don't wear hats enough! You always see the hats on the hat stand or in their hands, but not on their heads.

Beautiful sets, costumes and designs. Shame the 60's started off so well in terms off fashion, and end up.. well... not so hot.

The elevator scene was priceless. You don't know how many times I want to do that with baseball caps.. and not just in elevators!!

A.R. McVintage

Feraud said:
I am sure Don Draper would agree...as he is cheating on his wife with his beatnick girlfriend then asking another woman to run off to another country with him. ;)

Have you caught up with the new Draper? He's got something worked out with Betty, he's pretty docile now and home every night...;)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So no explanation of what actually happened to Peggy's baby...and as someone else mention, Joan's apparently moved on and left Roger in the dust (thinking she'll still come back) and Salvatore has a girlfriend to share desert with while watching Jackie O's White House tour...and no sign of Rachel or Bert, but at least Betty wasn't giving locks of hair to neighborhood boys (but he was rather a sad, sad case) or shooting the neighbor's pigeon (I *loved* that for some reason - you're gonna threaten to shoot my little girl's dog, I'm gonna blow your birds out of the air, sucker!) and no sign of Betty still seeing the psychiatrist.

The elevator scene was great. What a pair of pigs! I don't think they were oblivious to the woman - they didn't care.

And for those who haven't seen it - it's one of those programs that takes a few episodes to snag you. It's worth it, though. It's a pleasure that you should slowly savor.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mike in Seattle said:
And for those who haven't seen it - it's one of those programs that takes a few episodes to snag you. It's worth it, though. It's a pleasure that you should slowly savor.
I missed it in it's initial run, and caught season 1 on DVD. Being able to watch 2-3 episodes a night definitely worked for a show like this, where events unfold VERY slowly.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Darhling said:
Laura Chase - where the heck do you watch it?!

I watch it on DVD, I'm a TV series maniac, but don't like watching them on TV (an of course I can't either, with the American ones).

But I couldn't wait so I downloaded the first episode of season 2 and I actually liked it and I didn't think it was more dud than all the other episodes of season 1. It was just as dud. :D But I think I'm kinda getting used to the tempo. Although, I do think that the last episode of season 1 was exceptionally good! That's why I couldn't wait. :)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Laura Chase said:
I watch it on DVD, I'm a TV series maniac, but don't like watching them on TV (an of course I can't either, with the American ones).

But I couldn't wait so I downloaded the first episode of season 2 and I actually liked it and I didn't think it was more dud than all the other episodes of season 1. It was just as dud. :D But I think I'm kinda getting used to the tempo. Although, I do think that the last episode of season 1 was exceptionally good! That's why I couldn't wait. :)

Gotcha! I want to see the fabulous hair and clothes all the girls are raving about.. ;)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Darhling said:
Gotcha! I want to see the fabulous hair and clothes all the girls are raving about.. ;)

Yeah, I understand that! Maybe you can look up some photos online? There's a gallery on AMC's website: http://www.amctv.com/originals/madmen/photo_gallery/?version=1

Although the period is not my style, the clothes are gorgeous, and what's even better, the main character, Don Draper, is an amazingly handsome man!

Feraud

Bartender
A.R. McVintage said:
Have you caught up with the new Draper? He's got something worked out with Betty, he's pretty docile now and home every night...;)
I have not jumped into season 2 yet.. I would guess Draper is a leopard and his spots are not changing...although, "The Times They Are a-Changin'". :)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
That hat scene was great. I also had to explain to my wife about hat etiquette in an elevator.

Yeah, I didn't know this either, but I googled it and found this, is this correct?:

Hats are removed when inside, except for places that are akin to public streets, like lobbies, corridors, and crowded elevators (non-residential). In a public building (where there are no apartments) the elevator is considered a public area.

You may choose to remove your hat in a public elevator, but in the presence of a lady your hat must be removed.

A gentleman takes off his hat and holds it in his hand when a lady enters the elevator in any building that can be classified as a dwelling such as an apartment house or hotel. He puts it on again in the corridor.

A public corridor is like the street, but an elevator in a hotel or apartment house has the character of a room in a house and there a gentleman does not keep his hat on in the presence of ladies.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
That's the gist of it. Of course for any adult male before '65 these rules where pretty much second nature just from living in a society that mostly abided by them. It's funny how we almost need them as crib notes today.:eusa_doh:

A.R. McVintage

Feraud said:
I have not jumped into season 2 yet.. I would guess Draper is a leopard and his spots are not changing...although, "The Times They Are a-Changin'". :)

The one other thing I'd point out is that what people do to their significant others (such as cheating) is not a correlation to how they act in public (stopping guys from being rude in front of a woman).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
J. M. Stovall said:
You do realize that he's not real.;)

Of course, but it's a measure of what a complex character he is that he seems kinda real. He remains believable even with all the contradictions, which shows good writing and nuanced acting.

Chas

One Too Many
I guess I'm renting the series on DVD. Can't justify buying it, won't watch it more than once. The same goes for most other tv series; the only two I bought outright was "Band Of Brothers" and "I, Claudius".

That's how I watch most of my tv nowadays; the rest is dreck. I am watching and loving "Penn & Teller's BULLSH*T!"

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
....The elevator scene was great. What a pair of pigs! I don't think they were oblivious to the woman - they didn't care.....

That's what I think and what I liked about it. The "younger" generation didn't care how the woman felt while they discussed it. While Don, representing the "old guard" did care enough to make them stop even though his past actions have shown that he's really just like them if not worse, but he knows that you keep everything hidden and don't put it all out in the open.
I think the Old v. New concept is going to play a big role this season.

And I hope they go back and explore more about who he really is and why he changed totally after the war.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
See, I get the exact opposite impression. I think Draper represents change, moving into a new time. The two guys in the elevator representing the old ways, objectification and repression of women. It's Don reading beatnik poetry by Frank O'Hara and giving a women a job as a junior copywriter (gasp!), to the shock and bewilderment of the other men in the office. Like we discussed earlier, these are well written and complicated characters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael