Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I missed the last ten -15 minutes of this past episode on Sunday (fell asleep LOL). What did I miss? Can some kind soul fill me in?

Don't you have TiVo?!?! ;)

I'm not going to ruin it for our friends across the pond by posting spoilers. Just catch it when it airs again. They play it so frequently that you can probably catch a show sometime today.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
3PcSuit said:
Don't you have TiVo?!?! ;)

I'm not going to ruin it for our friends across the pond by posting spoilers. Just catch it when it airs again. They play it so frequently that you can probably catch a show sometime today.

I don't have TiVo.. that would feed my addiction and i would need an intervention.

Send me a PM then. I need to know... :D

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
3PcSuit said:
OK, I can fill you in in a PM. What was the last part you saw?

I remember Pete coming into Don's office and Don was telling him to 'go home' when Pete was saying he didn't know what to do (after his father died).

ok, maybe a bit more than 15 mins..lol

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
A.R. McVintage said:
I think you're reading it wrongly. There's two types of forward change going on: forward change for the better (Don) and forward change for the worse (two men not having any regard for the woman). Their jack-assery isn't "old-school" thought; Don and Roger would talk about the same things with the guys in a barber shop, they just know better than to talk about it in front of random women. It's talk for a setting that's where "boys will be boys." The young guys are showing how the future is changing for the worse by not having the propriety to know where that type of blatant sex talk is appropriate and where it isn't.

At the same time, the show is saying there are some "old school" values (such as respecting random women) that really were the better thing and that our modern "anything goes" attitude is not an improvement in that regard.

I don't see how my take of what's going on is any more "right or wrong" than yours, unless you are secretly a writer for the show;) . What it really comes down to for me is that I don't think that people are were any nicer in the 40's than they were in the 60's. I don't buy the Hollywood version of history that most do. That little scene with Don is as old as time, probably played out almost every day (with various results). Human nature doesn't change, only how we dress it up does. Maybe I'm just a cynic but that's how I feel. The only thing good about the "good ol' days" is that everyone looked good.

Now I'm really going to get it.:eek:

A.R. McVintage

J. M. Stovall said:
I don't see how my take of what's going on is any more "right or wrong" than yours, unless you are secretly a writer for the show;) . What it really comes down to for me is that I don't think that people are were any nicer in the 40's than they were in the 60's. I don't buy the Hollywood version of history that most do. That little scene with Don is as old as time, probably played out almost every day (with various results). Human nature doesn't change, only how we dress it up does. Maybe I'm just a cynic but that's how I feel. The only thing good about the "good ol' days" is that everyone looked good.

Now I'm really going to get it.:eek:

Get it for what? You didn't address my post at all.

:)

A.R. McVintage

flat-top said:
We know she was suspicious. And after finding out Don was talking to her shrink, don't you think she was just saying that stuff to him to put it out there, with no real proof? If it got back to Don (which of course was her intent), that could be the point when he stopped cheating.
But what do I know?! I love the show!

She was putting 2 and 2 together with the Francine scene from earlier. "Why'd you tell me this, Francine?" "Because I'd thought you'd know what to do..." "Why?"

She listed specific things to the shrink, like other perfumes she smelled on his clothes, etc. She knew. Which is why she told the shrink because she couldn't tell Don herself. But she's not the type to go spouting off about something that could end her marriage just off-handedly.

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I remember Pete coming into Don's office and Don was telling him to 'go home' when Pete was saying he didn't know what to do (after his father died).

ok, maybe a bit more than 15 mins..lol

Hey, can you PM *me* your email? It's not letting me send you a PM for some reason. Then I can email you the rundown. . .

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
3PcSuit said:
Hey, can you PM *me* your email? It's not letting me send you a PM for some reason. Then I can email you the rundown. . .

Thank you but another FL member already PM'd me the details. I think you need to have at least 15 posts or something to that effect before you can send PMs.

Desi

p.s. I am addicted to this show.. I am watching the DVD's of season one again just to fill in the void until Sunday...!

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Ahhhhhh, that Don. His dark side and his good side are really becoming more pronounced, respectively. And poor Betty, she is so unhappy but she's in total denial about it. I still can't decide if I like her or not.

I bet things will get really interesting now that Joan is Don's secretary. ;)

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Thank you but another FL member already PM'd me the details. I think you need to have at least 15 posts or something to that effect before you can send PMs.

Desi

p.s. I am addicted to this show.. I am watching the DVD's of season one again just to fill in the void until Sunday...!

If you were in Phoenix, Miz Desi, you and I could hole up in the house for a whole day and watch the entire first season. lol

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
RedHotRidinHood said:
If you were in Phoenix, Miz Desi, you and I could hole up in the house for a whole day and watch the entire first season. lol

Tell me about it! I am getting season 1 as a gift from my mother.. Oh rainy day here I come.. lol

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Sorry, but where exactly was Don's good side in the last episode. He seemed pretty nasty and manipulative to me.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jake_fink said:
Sorry, but where exactly was Don's good side in the last episode. He seemed pretty nasty and manipulative to me.
Yup, and he used those nasty powers of manipulation to get the insult comic to apologize to the Utz folks--making the overweight wife feel better, but ultimately making sure the entire evening went the way HE planned it.

Starius

Practically Family
flat-top said:
Yup, and he used those nasty powers of manipulation to get the insult comic to apologize to the Utz folks--making the overweight wife feel better, but ultimately making sure the entire evening went the way HE planned it.

Well, to be fair, Don himself was somewhat coerced into "fixing the situation." He wasn't very gung ho about having to do it... but that being said, once he sets out to finish a task... he sure does whatever it takes to get the job done.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Starius said:
Well, to be fair, Don himself was somewhat coerced into "fixing the situation." He wasn't very gung ho about having to do it... but that being said, once he sets out to finish a task... he sure does whatever it takes to get the job done.
He was, but the evening wasn't going well to begin with, with the comic soley focusing on Betty, and ignoring the Utz people. The threat made him have to get...serious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80