Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Madame Mystery 1926 ?

ThedaLove

New in Town
I know *somebody* knows how to find this one...Supposedly, we have another movie, starring *~*Theda*~* which did not burn in the Fire in New Jersey...
I didn't know! (But since I'm only a beginner in the neighborhood of Silent Films,
I can't claim to know *much*...)

I bet you can tell me something about this one,
LizzieMaine. :)

btw...I am becoming quickly addicted to The Fedora Lounge,
& I suddenly cannot get enough of Silent Films....especially starring Theda... :( all 2-3 of her survivors. (I mean films.)
Hey...I wonder if she ever had children. So far, I've found no mention anywhere, but my research time is severely limited due to my own little rascal...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike, we are burning Cleopatra, starring Helen Gardner, at the MidNight Hour. TMC. (channel 66 here in upstate NY)
Thank you so much!

Thanx all, for being friendly to this very obvious newbie...

xXxXThedaLovexXxX​

mike

Call Me a Cab
No problem, my pleasure! I don't know anything about the 1912 version, I guess we'll see soon! :)

Meanwhile, a Theda Bara film from the mid-20's I'd be slightly wary of... well, that is to say, by that point, she had already run her course (or so did William Fox and co. think) and by the mid 1920's she was trying to reignite her career. So we're not talking about a film with her at her peak with major studio and financial backing as would have been the case years earlier. I'd of course be interested in seeing it! But it's important to note the time frame it was released in.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, I can tell you that it was a two-reel "Hal Roach All Stars" comedy short, distributed by Pathe, so it wouldn't have been anywhere near the Fox vault fire. The survival status of the film is somewhat murky -- there are two home-movie cutdowns known to exist, a one-reel 16mm version, and an even shorter version released on 9.5mm in Europe. But there's also a film collector who claims to have the entire film, and has indicated it will eventually be released on a public-domain DVD. The one-reel version used to be available on VHS from the public-domain distributor Grapevine Video, but it has yet to turn up on one of their DVD releases. So it's out there if you keep looking -- eBay might be a good bet to find a copy.

The film itself is a satire of Theda Bara's vamp image -- as directed by Stan Laurel, and featuring Oliver Hardy in a supporting role. I've not seen it myself, but just that description makes it sound quite intriguing!

ThedaLove

New in Town
mike said:
No problem, my pleasure! I don't know anything about the 1912 version, I guess we'll see soon! :)

:)

We'll be watching it Tonight, if everything worked out. (fingers crossed)
I still wish it could be Theda. :Floats off in reverie, turning on Cleopatra of 1912, and seeing Theda is actually playing Cleopatra: (no disrtespect intended toward Helen Gardner.)​

Meanwhile, a Theda Bara film from the mid-20's I'd be slightly wary of... well, that is to say, by that point, she had already run her course (or so did William Fox and co. think) and by the mid 1920's she was trying to reignite her career. So we're not talking about a film with her at her peak with major studio and financial backing as would have been the case years earlier. I'd of course be interested in seeing it! But it's important to note the time frame it was released in.

Yes, mike, I know what you mean. I would still give alot (if I had alot) to see Theda in more films.

I wonder why my 4-yr-old asked for Elmo after only 3 minutes of A Fool There Was ;)

Actually, the 1st time he saw a photo of Theda, he said "Ma," with a big smile on his face....little flatterer flirt is he!

xXxXThedaLoveXxXx

ThedaLove

New in Town
LizzieMaine said:
Well, I can tell you that it was a two-reel "Hal Roach All Stars" comedy short, distributed by Pathe, so it wouldn't have been anywhere near the Fox vault fire. The survival status of the film is somewhat murky -- there are two home-movie cutdowns known to exist, a one-reel 16mm version, and an even shorter version released on 9.5mm in Europe.

I *knew* you would know "stuff," LizzieMaine. :)

I will research further, for sure. I wonder where in Europe. I lived in MiddleEngland ("Mordor") for nearly 4 years. The British people don't seem to
consider themselves Europeans, (my hubby is British) but....if you mean England, I still may have somebody to ask....Altho where we lived is *far* from anyplace like London...​

Then again, the Cleopatra clips are not hiding in NYCity; they're in Rochester (which I do know, is also a City, but not of the same proportions as NYC...)

But there's also a film collector who claims to have the entire film, and has indicated it will eventually be released on a public-domain DVD.

OMGoddess! :) I shall hunt him down. I don't care if it was after Theda gained weight, was older, etc...Still, I must find! ;)
Do you know her/his name?

The one-reel version used to be available on VHS from the public-domain distributor Grapevine Video, but it has yet to turn up on one of their DVD releases. So it's out there if you keep looking -- eBay might be a good bet to find a copy.

Perhaps even on eBay UK or eBay in a European country. (As a child growing up in NY State, I learned England was part of Europe...)​

The film itself is a satire of Theda Bara's vamp image -- as directed by Stan Laurel, and featuring Oliver Hardy in a supporting role.

I read that last Night...I have never appreciated Laurel & Hardy, but I'm finally gaining respect...

I've not seen it myself, but just that description makes it sound quite intriguing!

Yes, Ma'am! Let me know when you're free, and we shall go & seek it out ?​

:) XxXxThedaLovexXxX

LizzieMaine

Bartender
ThedaLove said:
I will research further, for sure. I wonder where in Europe. I lived in MiddleEngland ("Mordor") for nearly 4 years. The British people don't seem to
consider themselves Europeans, (my hubby is British) but....if you mean England, I still may have somebody to ask....Altho where we lived is *far* from anyplace like London...​

9.5mm film was very popular in England -- Pathe manufactured a whole range of projectors and equipment, and maintained a film rental library, so that's where to look for anything released in that format. There's an active community of 9.5mm collectors overseas dedicated to tracking down rarities.

ThedaLove said:
OMGoddess! :) I shall hunt him down. I don't care if it was after Theda gained weight, was older, etc...Still, I must find! ;)
Do you know her/his name?

I finally was able to find the discussion I was thinking of -- it's on a board called NitrateVille, an outgrowth of the old alt.movies.silent group with a lot of extremely knowledgeable film folk participating -- you'll find the specific thread at http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?t=627

Short answer is that the original two-reel version is supposedly in the UCLA film archive, but hard telling when or if it'll be released. The thread does include, though, a comprehensive discussion of all Theda Bara material currently known to survive -- enjoy!!!

ThedaLove

New in Town
LizzieMaine said:
9.5mm film was very popular in England -- Pathe manufactured a whole range of projectors and equipment, and maintained a film rental library, so that's where to look for anything released in that format. There's an active community of 9.5mm collectors overseas dedicated to tracking down rarities.

Thank You, LizzieMaine! :) I'm going to try to learn more about that community. We have a British friend who is obsessively into film...

Fascinating article, you led me to read :) & I do so appreciate it.​
http://gaffa.org/sensual/l_tgat.html

I finally was able to find the discussion I was thinking of -- it's on a board called NitrateVille, an outgrowth of the old alt.movies.silent group with a lot of extremely knowledgeable film folk participating -- you'll find the specific thread at http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?t=627

OMGoddess! ;) I'm on my way. THANK YOU! :eek: You are an [angel].​

Short answer is that the original two-reel version is supposedly in the UCLA film archive, but hard telling when or if it'll be released.

Ok, thanks, bye...now heading across the country to break into the archive ;)

"Okay, remember.
Okay, remember
That we have just allowed
Half an hour
To get in, do it, and get out.

The sense of adventure
Is changing to danger.
The signal has been given.
I go in.
The crime begins.
by Kate Bush, "There Goes a Tenner"​

(That song has always reminded me of an old gangster movie.)

The thread does include, though, a comprehensive discussion of all Theda Bara material currently known to survive -- enjoy!!!

You are absolutely wonderful, LizzieMaine. I'm ready for Theda and ice cream now (I mean your thread link. I am certain you have made my Night.)

Many smiles sent your way...catch! xxxxThedaLovexxxx​

Flivver

Practically Family
To the best of my knowledge, Pathe 9.5 mm equipment and film was sold here in the U.S. It occasionally turns up at flea markets.

I have several 9.5 mm Pathe projectors, some films and also the Pathex movie camera that was part of the "system". Pathe equipment from the 1920s is beautifully made and is great fun to play with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy