Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in China - Monarch A-2 repros

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Chainsaw said:
off topic, but I wouldn't mind an opinion.

The Price of se@l pelts is extremly affordable now, due to a ban on the European market. Does anyone have an opinion on the matter? A custom jacket would be very affordable out of the pelts.[huh]

How about getting a custom anorak made from the pelts and post it inthis FL Anorak thread?

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Chainsaw said:
Just based on principal, one shouldn't purchase a WWII jacket made in China.

Why not? Arguably, and specifically relating to an AVG based jacket, it could be considered all the more authentic for it....

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
To be really "30s or 40s," it needs a stand collar. I'm not sure leathermakers even did simple-attached before the war. ICBW of course.

You could argue this doesn't affect the look that much.

Fletch, the manufacturer in question makes two or three versions; the one pictured in detail does not have a stand collar but at least one of their versions does. The particular version with the stand collar does look a fair representation of an early war A-2. Actually, the version without a stand collar looks like a fair representation of a simplified mid war A-2.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Edward said:
Here we begin to get to the limits of my knowledge of period jacket construction... there probably are details I've missed that would distinguish it from period to those more in the know, and it would definitely be nice to see those picked up on, though I say that as distinct from the issue of whether it is an accurate reproduction of a specific USAAF contract jacket as opposed to a jacket typical of civilian 'in the style of an A2' jackets available back then. It would be interesting, I think, to compare these directly with some of the examples of civilian jacets in this general style that are owned by loungers.

The jacket in question is much more an accurate reproduction of a wartime contract jacket than it is anything else, especially compared to 'in the style of' A-2's. This is much closer than many 'orphan' A-2 jackets or even early attempts at accurate repros.

I know that the details are buried in different posts within this thread but it is clear it features many accurate details of a really good repro of a wartime issue A-2 - it is just not a very good Monarch. That part is a bit of a mystery unless they have latched onto the Chuck Yeager story which seems unlikely as they haven't made much of that. More likely they had a Monarch label to copy. Aswatland as already stated it owes more to an Aero contract item than the Monarch.

Would it help if I listed all the features it has from studying the detail photos compared to the known characteristics of a Monarch, Aero and the no-name contract? Perhaps Andrew could suggest other good comparisons from the more prolific makers - there's no point comparing it to a smaller contract maker.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Speedbird

"Why not? Arguably, and specifically relating to a AVG based jacket, it could be considered all the more authentic for it...."

When I want Bar-BQ Pork on Cantonese fried noddles I go to the Chinese place. When I want Angel hair pasta, Bolengse I go Italian.

By the same token, I want a Defender 90 built in Britain, not in India. But none of that withstanding, I'm still trying to figure, what the Polish wore in WWII. It may have been the same uniform as the Brits (apparently it was the same army). I'm unsure though.

Creeping past, about the Anorak, that's not a terrible idea. I have an address if anyones interested. (35$ as apposed to the usual 100$ at market) a couch might be nice too if it's cheap enough.

Personally, I still want a deer pelt with the head still attached and, a set of horns so I can make a cape! Imagine sloshing beer with this giant deer head cape on!lol

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This repro appears to be based on Aero's 42-18775-P, their last contract. It has many of the correct Aero features:

• Angular pocket flaps.
  • Relatively narrow epaulets.
  • Use of mustardy colored lining.
  • Ring snaps

Generally Aeros had sharply pointed corners to their pockets but this last contract often had rounded ones.

For pictures of this Aero order see: http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2detail2.html

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Chainsaw said:
Speedbird

"Why not? Arguably, and specifically relating to a AVG based jacket, it could be considered all the more authentic for it...."

When I want Bar-BQ Pork on Cantonese fried noddles I go to the Chinese place. When I want Angel hair pasta, Bolengse I go Italian.

By the same token, I want a Defender 90 built in Britain, not in India. But none of that withstanding, I'm still trying to figure, what the Polish wore in WWII. It may have been the same uniform as the Brits (apparently it was the same army). I'm unsure though.

Creeping past, about the Anorak, that's not a terrible idea. I have an address if anyones interested. (35$ as apposed to the usual 100$ at market) a couch might be nice too if it's cheap enough.

Personally, I still want a deer pelt with the head still attached and, a set of horns so I can make a cape! Imagine sloshing beer with this giant deer head cape on!lol

Well, now I am very lost. Crazy Canuck lol
PS: you really, really don't want a Defender built in Britain. Solihull's finest have always struggled with consistency .... I am a Land Rover owner by the way :eusa_doh:

Chainsaw

Suspended
Oh, no way! Love the 101! Man, really rad. Gonna grab one probably next year. My buddys got the 25 anniveray Range Rover. It's Brilliant.

Me, I've been stuck with Jap scrap, Old Samurai ( based on the Jeep), Landcrusier81' ( based ont the american jeep) And a 4-runner that loved doing dukes of hazard impressions (flying through the air!) busted frame. lol

Have you seen the latest knockoffs from China? They have BMW Minis, American hummers, every work of art in any European Art gallery.

Even most of the tourist sculptures in Egypt of Pharoes and such are from China.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
aswatland said:
This repro appears to be based on Aero's 42-18775-P, their last contract. It has many of the correct Aero features:

• Angular pocket flaps.
  • Relatively narrow epaulets.
  • Use of mustardy colored lining.
  • Ring snaps

Generally Aeros had sharply pointed corners to their pockets but this last contract often had rounded ones.

For pictures of this Aero order see: http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2detail2.html

Thanks once again, Andrew, for a concise and precise contribution that really helps!

Let's now add in to the mix the following:

• one piece back, left and right front panels

• two piece sleeves

• decent thickness hide

• 8 stitches per inch in a nicely chosen thread colour

• reinforcement stitching on zipper anchor and pocket corners

• correctly stitched and boxed epaulettes
  • sewn through hanger loop nicely boxed inside and out

• under arm grommets, throat latch and reproduction original zipper

• pockets placed to the sides, no handwarmers or inner pocket

• three styles to choose from, one in dark seal with red liner

Bad Points: so far all we have been able to determine is -

• shiny hide - could be photography and newness

• pockets appear 1/4 to 1/2 inch too tall

• The Monarch Label is flawed and inaccurate to the overall jacket 'design'

• It's made in China - a matter of personal conscience IMHO

And that is it on the negative front raised in five pages so far....

It seems clear to me why some of us think for $350 - $400 delivered, (brand new in the size of your choosing) it seems like an option worthy of consideration.

I know it is possible to buy used Eastman's and Aero's for that money - but only if you can find your size and wait long enough and outbid somebody else chasing the same thing.

The only question in my mind is this: I am a big guy and these may have been built to Chinese sizing - I probably won't get one big enough, but for anyone smaller than me looking for a trim fit it could be a winner!

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Chainsaw said:
Oh, no way! Love the 101! Man, really rad. Gonna grab one probably next year. My buddys got the 25 anniveray Range Rover. It's Brilliant.

Me, I've been stuck with Jap scrap, Old Samurai ( based on the Jeep), Landcrusier81' ( based ont the american jeep) And a 4-runner that loved doing dukes of hazard impressions (flying through the air!) busted frame. lol

Like I said CRAZY CANUCK! lol The 101 is rad for sure ... it will turn your internal organs into free radicals for you .... Range Rovers are brilliant except they will go past everything on the road except a garage.... (gas station) :eusa_doh:

The early Land Cruisers are by far the simplest, most reliable and robust off-road adventure vehicle ever built :)

Speedbird

A-List Customer
saucerfiend said:
One more negative. The knits are 35% wool and 35% rayon on these Chinese repros.

Brian

Well, yes, and I know this is a bit obscure - but rayon isn't technically a man-made fibre, more a natural fibre processed by man to make a usable fibre... it wll certainly mean the knits on the jacket will retain shape longer.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Speed,, me thinks you are trying to talk yourself into this jacket and I hope you do. I would love to hear your e-port on it as soon as it comes!!! I am more interested in the hide and how it plays out. Really not interested on a specific contract label jacket anyhow. No matter how much money is spent on one or how detailed it is, at the end of the day it is still just a repop jacket with new hardware, not a Monarch,Aero,Rough Wear, Star....and the list goes on.........

Speedbird

A-List Customer
lol I wasn't in the beginning ... but I have the British inbuilt nature of supporting the underdog! Not good for me ... this is why I know I will be disappointed and heartbroken in a few months time when we don't win the World Cup - again!!!

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Just trying to give the jacket a fair assessment - nothing to gain personally either way .... but it has been a good exercise in refreshing my memory and improving my knowledge.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Of course we are .. until Rooney breaks a metatarsal and we get knocked out in the quarter/semi -finals! lol :rage: lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany