Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in China

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
That being said, the jacket looks better buttoned. I think it has to do with the angle of the split in the lapel.

That reminds of the fact that many modern suits, if waisted, tend to have the flaps go to the outside, not straight down. (Your jacket seems to be good in this respect, too.) So the silhouette is not
\ /
/ \
| | , but

_\ /
_/ \
/--_\ , even if buttoned. Is there a way to tell a(n online) tailor how to avoid this?

GBR

One of the Regulars
Ray

Interesting to see the extra pictures and to hear of your experience. Do you think that if you had gone in with every detail written down that they would have made a 'good' suit or merely one which as you say reflects the $80 you paid?

Do you have any views of the inside of the jacket and the lining and the pants, back and front with jacket and waistcoat to show the rise and fit?

Your suits are certainly helping my ideas for my forst new make retro suit.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
The workmanship and materials does reflect the $80, I think. The buttonholes, stitches per inch, etc. won't be the same as in a $3,000 (1500 pound) suit. But if you want a throwaround suit, it does the trick.
If I were to go through this process again, I would bring a vintage suit for them to copy exactly, pointing out all the details I found important. The chinese tailors are good at copying and fitting, but they're sense of proportion isn't the best.
Henrik, the fabric is soooooooo cheap in China- you have no idea. It's like a 11-13 oz. fabric.

Thanks, John, neyus, Hem, and Stanley for the compliments!! :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SHARP as ever Ray!! :)

You 'remind' me of how slim I used to be Ray :eusa_clap And with that slim cut of a figure, you carry off 'the look' so well!!
All-in-all those suits look great 'on you.' Remember that many of the fabrics and quality of suits in the Depression era wasn't great, because the economy was shot to pieces.

And the other thing is, even if your suits are 'not perfect' as you would wish them, you carry them off to be much more expensive than they are by the way you hold yourself, great attitude and presence there Ray!!! and an inspiration to the rest of us :eusa_clap

Dagwood

Practically Family
Ray:

Your brown striped suit looks absolutely amazing! Wear it in good health.

Do you think a crease problem caused by too much draping could be solved by adding more pleats to the pants?

Also, and off topic, I love your shirt collar. How many inches long is it?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Thank you Dagwood & Paddy!! Paddy- you flatter me so...I'm practically blushing!

Dagwood said:
Do you think a crease problem caused by too much draping could be solved by adding more pleats to the pants?

Also, and off topic, I love your shirt collar. How many inches long is it?

I don't think so- I asked if they could make the pleats deeper but the pleats are built into the pattern and couldn't be altered. The problem with the creases comes mostly from the fabrics softness and drapiness more than the construction. It just won't hold a crease as well as the stiff vintage fabrics. It also doesn't help that I got the pants made so baggy- I asked for 20 1/2" cuffs like on my vintage pants and the modern fabric just won't hold the crease like the vintage stuff. The pants are still comfortable though beceause they are so baggy.

The shirt collar is 1 1/2" in the back and the points are 3 1/4".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto