Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Madras Summer Shirts?

pipvh

Practically Family
Sun's out, and I have a nostalgic yearning for... a short-sleeved shirt in Madras cotton. I'm thinking 40s or 50s style, very simple.

This is exactly what I want:
http://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/inshop-mall/madras/-/sid.198397
...but check those shoulder widths. It's not going to happen.

Madras is always a bit iffy because there's a fine line between old geezer/preppy/rockin' cool (in case anybody's wondering, I'm after the latter). Can I get something appropriate in the UK, or am I doomed to trawl through the rings of Rakuten hell?

Any suggestions?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
pipvh said:
I'm thinking 40s or 50s style, very simple.

there's a fine line between old geezer/preppy/rockin' cool (in case anybody's wondering, I'm after the latter).

No Comprende [huh]

Anyway here's 40's-50's style.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Old geezer???

Without realizing it you have insulted about half the male members of the Fedora Lounge with that line. ;)
But seriously, folks. I believe Madras cloth goes back to the 1880's in India, where the local cotton cloth makers tried to imitate Scottish plaids, with limited success. But they did succeed in inventing a neat entirely new product.
I first saw Madras shirts in the US around 1958 or 1960. They hit their peak during the early 60's JFK/Madmen era. Theye were definitely worn by teenagers and college students almost exclusively. I guess the college students of the 60's turned into the geezers of the 90's and later.
I've picked up a couple of very nice madras shirts from Ralph Lauren in the past few years. sadly, since they learned how to fix the dye in the cloth, Madras no longer "bleeds". Pity.
I think the only difference between the geezer look and the cool look is the attitude of the wearer. No difference in any technical detail of the garment, tho I suppose the geezers do wear those patchwork Madras trousers with blue blazers and white patent leather loafers down at the country club.
But I would think patchwork Madras bermudas could be as cool as the wearer wants them to be.

pipvh

Practically Family
Most hearty and humble apologies to all FL geezers I may have unwittingly offended... It isn't that I don't think madras shirts worn under high-waisted linen pants hitched up to breast-bone level isn't a killer look - I just don't think I can pull it off:D

I have a piece of original madras from the late 19th. It's absolutely beautiful: all natural dyes and handles more like silk. The only problem with those Mad Men era shirts is that the cloth is a bit dull: lots of blues and purples, whereas the originals were yellows, oranges and reds. Sugar Cane makes some beauties in those same bright colours but damn, even their large is tiny.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
There are some nice ones sold at UNI-QLO for pretty cheap. I have a few, and wear them frequently. They're pretty versatile as buttoned shirts go: wear them with jeans, chinos, or shorts, tucked in and buttoned or open to show a colorful T-shirt (maybe that last style was only popular when I was a teenager?).

Anyhow, UNI-QLO's sizes are somewhat more forgiving than other Japanese brands, though it depends on your build. I just don't know if they have any shops in the U.K.

Feraud

Bartender
pipvh said:
I have a piece of original madras from the late 19th. It's absolutely beautiful: all natural dyes and handles more like silk. The only problem with those Mad Men era shirts is that the cloth is a bit dull: lots of blues and purples, whereas the originals were yellows, oranges and reds.

Please post a picture or scan of your 19th. C. madras cloth is possible.
I am sure there are a few of us that would like to see it.

pipvh

Practically Family
I'd love to post some pics - might take a while, though. It's in storage at the moment and will take some serious digging out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy