Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magnoli Clothiers Quality?

Edward said:
I've had men's leather jackets I've bought here, and ones I've had from the US - it's true, the pull on the zipper is on the other side in the US from Europe. Just like how y'all drive on the wrong side of the road over there in Merika... ;)
Many thanks Edward. Seems like the last time I was in Germany & Austria, they drove on the same side as US. Spain, too. Hmmmmmmm [huh]

91_Mustang

New in Town
My leather jacket just arrived from Magnoli and I'm currently in the process of breaking it in. So far I'd say that the quality of construction is very nice. I hope to have pictures posted along with a full review very soon.

surdanis

New in Town
How long did it take for the order to be shipped to you from the time of order?

And if anyone cares...

downey.jpg

I'm getting Indy to make a replica coat. The Holmes Coat.

91_Mustang

New in Town
It took 13 weeks to receive my jacket because the tailor accidently shipped it to Magnoli's office in New Zeland instead of to my address. Had this shipping error not occurred I believe the jacket would have arrived in about 10 weeks.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
91_Mustang said:
It took 13 weeks to receive my jacket because the tailor accidently shipped it to Magnoli's office in New Zeland instead of to my address. Had this shipping error not occurred I believe the jacket would have arrived in about 10 weeks.

And that's part of the problem since it's all outsourced work, done where labour is cheap, I wonder how good the stuff is. And obviously it's different "tailors" for different stock items, so consistency must be a bitch!

I'd like to see a review of a Mag leather jacket compared with a well known brand (Aero or Gibsion and Barnes).

I imagine Mags stuff is reasonable like a good mall jacket.

91_Mustang

New in Town
The quality of my Magnoli leather jacket is very good. Unfortunately, I don't have a Gibson Barnes or an Aero jacket to compare it to. However, I did try on several leather jackets at local retailers when I was trying to get my measurements together. Most of those jackets were made in China. I'd say that my Magnoli is as good as any of those jackets but with the added benefits of custom selected leather choices, lining materials, and made-to-measure sizing in a jacket style that the local retailers simply do not offer. I'm very pleased with how the finished product turned out. Again, I hope to have a complete review with pictures posted soon.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Alexi said:
Most of my reasons for not buying "made in china" are political, so I'll keep them to myself.
I thought I had seen that he was having them made in New Zealand in a thread, and well I think I got a few things mixed up. I just wish I had thought to ask where he had his stuff made.

Well, I'm from NZ and although I currently reside in Sweden,
I was actually in Auckland, NZ, last week.
It does seem that most goods available in NZ, clothing, of course,
are made in China- even tinned foods. Yum!

NZ is not the place for manufacturing niche products intended for sale to Americans.
Apart from about one exception.

B
T

Edward

Bartender
gtdean48 said:
Many thanks Edward. Seems like the last time I was in Germany & Austria, they drove on the same side as US. Spain, too. Hmmmmmmm [huh]

lol... so when I said Europe, I should have said the UK and Ireland.... heh.... I guess on some levels maybe I'm too Europeanised! lol

Falco

New in Town
my experience with Magnoli was standard tailor quality, nothing special really, the quality you can get from any street tailor in thailand with the same materials offered for less price. What really made me never ever to buy from magnoli again was the horrible exchange policy and attitude, Magnoli shipped something wrong and wanted me, the customer, to pay for the return shipping as well (was their mistake) ... no thanks and bye bye

Magnoli Open Road

I bought this in Classifieds from a fellow Lounger. I am an off the rack 44 Regular but have slightly long arms. I also like longer arms for reaching the handlebars of my motorcycles. This 44 Long suits me fine. Very well made in India. Really like the weight & softness of the leather.
2 things I'd change, brass hardware & zipper pull on the other side.
Will get some shots wearing it soon, hopefully, when I find the tripod...
Front views:
p1010002.jpg

p1010003.jpg

p1010004.jpg

Back views:
p1010005.jpg

p1010006.jpg

p1010007.jpg

p1010008.jpg

Inside view
p1010011.jpg

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
If you guys don't mind me asking, what is the usual wait time from placing/paying for order to actually receiving the product on a custom jacket?
Just wondering since I'm going on 12 weeks now.
I emailed Magnoli about 3 weeks ago and he just apologized for it not being done and it get it to asap. I don't want keep bothering him since I am sure he's very busy. I'm just getting anxious!!

91_Mustang

New in Town
My jacket was a customized version of one of his standard models. It was ready to ship in just about eight weeks but took a total of 13 weeks to get here. If your jacket is completely custom then it may take longer.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
3 week updates is not overbearing

3 week updates is not overbearing IMO, I would contact them again just to keep things updated for all sides.

Fiver64

Practically Family
I realize that this is an older thread, but perhaps my current experience with Magnoli Clothiers may be searched by (and therefore help) other leather jacket junkies. I have owned two jackets made by Magnoli. The first was a catch-and-release jacket off ebay about 10 years ago. After reading the reviews about Magnoli I probably had my expectations to high! The seam-work was fine, but the leather was far thinner than I have ever seen on a leather jacket. I should note that I like heavy leather, and own numerous jackets like Aero, Vanson, ELC, and such. Being rather disenchanted, I sent it down the road.

About two months ago, while surfing the 'bay again during the COVID quarantine, I stumbled across Magnoli offering their Indy Adventure jacket for $315. It's normally around $650 on their website, and I thought (like many businesses are experiencing) that they were trying to drum up business during the COVID pandemic, so I thought I'd give them another try. My assumption - my mistake. Having always wanted an Indy jacket and cross-checking with the Magnoli website (to make sure this was really Magnoli and not one of the many Paki-sites "borrowing" Magnoli photos) I found that it was indeed Magnoli and that the photos and descriptions used matched those on their actual website. So I placed my order. "Joachim" (the person with whom I dealt) asked for many measurements and was good with communication.

It all went well (to that point) and the jacket arrived about 30 days later. Wow, was I disappointed! My so-called "adventure" jacket was made of such thin cowhide leather, and such light weight as to be laughable. I literally have fleece jackets that weigh more! For a basis of comparison, think Cooper goatskin A-2 jacket weight and divide in half---maybe! The jacket was actually shipped in a small plastic DHS bag, so was naturally wrinkled. There was so little hang-weight that, after a week of trying to hang the wrinkles out, it was still like it had been when taken out of the bag! It was billed as a "distressed cowhide," but when worn it looked more like wrinkled "pleather." No drape whatsoever. Yes, the zipper is on the opposite side too, but that's my oversight, and just how it's done in that part of the world.

I contacted Joachim and asked about the poor leather quality. He admitted that this (for the price) was a cheaper material and that if I actually wanted the better quality leather I could pay the $300+ difference and they would exchange it. Would have been nice to have known that before ordering! Nowhere on their Ebay ad was this mentioned, and they used the same description and photos as their expensive jacket on their website, which is really misleading (IMHO). To be fair, he did say that Ebay doesn't allow vendors to reference their websites, so that may have caused some description problems. In any case, I told him that they need to somehow alert potential buyers, I would rather just return the jacket for a refund, to which he agreed. Fair enough.

A week after USPS showed that the package was delivered to Magnoli's Florida return address, and after two emails asking for the status of my refund, I'm still waiting for any response. Just crickets. Perhaps there is a reasonable explanation, but it doesn't make for good customer service, or repeat business.

While Magnoli Clothiers seems to have a decent online following, I have not enjoyed such positive experiences. Perhaps my expectations are too high, but in my opinion, their leather jacket quality is actually less than most department store off-the-rack fashion jackets, but with inflated prices and longer shipping times. If you want heavy leather, that you won't be paranoid about accidentally brushing against anything, save your money and invest in Aero, Norshor, Vanson, Lewis or companies known for durable jackets. Lesson learned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo