Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magnoli - How About Socks?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Just a thought - see how we all respond...

Can Magnoli have reproductions made of vintage socks? It came to mind when looking at the "Show Us Your Sock" thread that maybe our resident wizard could have some of those classic patterns reproduced for us.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I'll and my voice to this choir....

...I find myself perpetually combing the sock selections at various stores looking for noteworthy patterns that have a vintage feel, alas I generally have little success. From time to time I splurge on dead-stock vintage socks from E-bay as well.

I think the idea of Magnoli making reproductions is a wonderful one!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I want some too!
Rocket Originals from the UK makes these:
SL272644.jpg

They run about $11 USD a pair.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'd suggest something more distinctively vintage than basic argyle, which I like and wear but is still readily available.

And I would hope the socks would be longer than some of those pictured above.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
One stipulation I would make (and I agree it should be a pattern different than argyle) that the socks be of today's length and not vintage shorty length. I don't really feel like wear garters no matter how authentic they may be.

ortega76

Practically Family
Indy Magnoli said:
I suppose I could do this easily enough. The trick would be to come up with designs that are unique but have the broadest appeal to Loungers. Any suggestions?

Kind regards,
Magnoli

How about bringing back the matching sock, tie, pocket square sets I saw as a kid?

carter

I'll Lock Up
Since you've already done some FL neckties, how about some FL OTC socks with a clock pattern? Something similar to the two on the left in the image below but longer:
socks004-2.jpg

Actually, two clock patterns and one argyle would make a nice three-pack.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
how about some FL OTC socks with a clock pattern?

Can you tell me more about clock patterns? Raymond Chandler has Philip Marlowe wearing socks with clocks on them in the opening chapter of The Big Sleep, and I've never known quite what he meant (unless he meant little images of clocks, which I never figured was the case).

Bugsy

One Too Many
Indy Magnoli said:
I suppose I could do this easily enough. The trick would be to come up with designs that are unique but have the broadest appeal to Loungers. Any suggestions?

Kind regards,
Magnoli

If you come up with some designs, such as clocking up the side of the sock, that are mid calf, I'll be one of your first customers.

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
Indy Magnoli said:

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Magnoli,
In The Dark Knight, Heath Ledger wears some very interesting socks as the Joker. IMO, reproductions of those socks would make a natural and fitting addition to your offerings considering that your company already offers replicas of the overcoat, suit jacket, vest, shirt, and tie Heath Ledger wore in the part of the Joker. May I also suggest reproducing the suspenders/braces, shoes, and trousers that Heath Ledger wore as the Joker? And while we're on the subject Joker, why not look into reproducing the suits, overcoats, ties, hats, and footwear worn by Jack Nicholson as the the Joker in Batman (1989)? I'm just giving you some ideas.

carter

I'll Lock Up
The socks in this AA illustration from 1934 have a clock pattern.
spring342fx1.jpg

I think something with two alternating rows of the Fedora Lounge silhouette, both facing center, might look good. I'm thinking a black silhouette on a grey sock.

I also like the stripes on these socks from AA Summer 1937 (seated figure on right).
twogentspicniccr5.jpg

These could be done in alternating black and grey stripes or they might be a black sock with gold/grey/gold stripes, a grey sock with gold/black/gold stripes, or a gold sock with grey/black/grey or black/grey/black stripes.

Rathko

New in Town
Sorry to be resurrecting this thread after a year, but what happened? I spend most of my free hours trying to find socks with clocking and horizontal stripes but to no avail. I'd definitely be interested in a range from Magnoli, as would others it seems, but looking at the website - still no socks.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to see colors other than brown, black, navy blue, etc. I can find argyles and other vintage-y styles in those colors. I'd like to see mustard, lighter blues, maroons, etc.

And above the calf, please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner