Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magnum P.I. reboot

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
I have always enjoyed his work as well. Especially the westerns. Unfortunately he has developed rheumatoid arthritis and it has progressed to the point that I'm not sure how much longer he will be able to work. It's a horrible disease that members of my family have been afflicted with. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

I'd not heard about this, that's so sad. A friend of mine used to live in CA and one Halloween she met Tom Selleck while taking her children trick-or-treating. He was sitting in front of his home handing out candy. She said he was very down-to-earth, friendly, and like all the other parents.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
^ I suppose we've been fortunate that only two or three houses on our block have been McMansionized. Viewed at a glance from the street, their designs are relatively conservative and don't stand out too much from the overall "late-40s/early-50s" suburban architecture of the rest of the block; it's only when you take a closer look along the sides of those houses that you realize they occupy a much larger footprint. On at least two or three streets to the east there are some McMansions that are ridiculously ostentatious and would stand out like a sore thumb even if they weren't the size of a small warehouse. :rolleyes:

I hear you Zombie - we have a domestic construction plague going on in this city. Together with a housing boom of inflated prices. Average price of a home here is $1.5 million. Most houses in my street are going for around $2 to $4 million but they are being bought and cheerfully knocked down and replaced by enormous, cheesy, artless piles called, improbably, French provincial style mansions. Dreadful, pastiche constructions with mansard style roofs and faux period details that are a type of crime against humanity. It's not just the owner that has to live in the things, we all have to look at them every day. Rant over.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
My recollection is that, in the final episode, Higgins almost admits to being Robin Master's (or maybe he does admit it) but then, at the last minute ---at Rick's wedding--- he recants, thus leaving the question up in the air. I might be wrong...
The series ended when Magnum dies and goes to heaven (end of Season 7) and at that point if I recall correctly Higgins has been revealed as Masters. But due to the show's popularity they brought the series back for one morea season and famously recanted on the Higgins/Masters thing.

...Actually, I'm guessing it won't be long before they'll have her strutting around in bikinis, maybe even acting as "bait" to draw in their suspects. :rolleyes:
I wasn't far off. Boy, they couldn't wait to get Perdita Weeks into that skin tight leotard, could they? Based on that trailer, I predict it'll suck by comparison to the original show, but will still be immensely popular with anyone too young to have seen the original.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, I don’t know. Based on that clip, I’ll give it a chance. Good action. Sounds like they are keeping the music. Also they are trying to stick with the comraderie theme of the original. O’ahu looks beautiful. Could work. I am most concerned about the new Higgins character. “Romantic tension” could derail the whole thing. Magnum wouldn’t be Magnum if he turns into Ms Higgin’s goo-goo eyed lap dog.

...I am most concerned about the new Higgins character. “Romantic tension” could derail the whole thing. Magnum wouldn’t be Magnum if he turns into Ms Higgin’s goo-goo eyed lap dog.
I agree, but in that trailer I got the sense that the tension was of the "thorn in my side" variety and that there was little interest between Higgins and Magnum beyond their professional relationship. If it's watchable I hope they're able to maintain that for however long the show lasts, but Hollywood producers can't seem to resist throwing romance into the mix when the ratings start to drop regardless of how many times that has failed in the past.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Looks like the onanistic fantasy of a 14 year old boy - a banal, by the numbers, visual cliche ridden, uninspired piece of derivative TV. It could do well.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Looks like the onanistic fantasy of a 14 year old boy - a banal, by the numbers, visual cliche ridden, uninspired piece of derivative TV. It could do well.
It appears to have none of the charm or charisma of the original series, and the actors all appears to be acting, which is not how it should be. By contrast, for some reason I found it easy to believe/accept the lead characters in the original series all knew each other and were friends. They clicked together well. Sort of like how the leads in Seinfeld (and even the recurring secondary characters) all seemed like friends. Weird how it works sometimes, and doesn't at other times.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I hadn't heard of Michael Bay - just looked him up and now I know why. Not my cup of tea that sort of product. What made Magnum work was the small things, the relationships and characters.

I finally had an opportunity to watch the second and third episodes last night, and I'm still very much "on the fence" about this show. I like the way Jay Hernandez is making the character his own, i.e. reminiscent of Tom Selleck's version without being a direct imitation, but I wonder if it's in his contract that he has to take a beating in every episode. I also like what they've done with Rick--he comes across as a little goofy, but has the goods when it's time to take action; a wolf in sheep's clothing. Can't say much about T.C., 'cause they haven't really given him anything to do except tease Magnum and stand around looking imposing. For my money Perdita Weeks is the standout in this series and has made Higgins a reluctant but more than capable part of the team. But the stories so far have been rather run-of-the-mill, and I suspect it won't be too much longer before they'll remake an episode or two from the original series. It's not completely unwatchable, but if I stopped watching now I wouldn't miss it.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I liked it well enough, but I think the show really survived because of the chemistry between Tom Selleck, John Hillerman, Roger Mosley, and sometimes Larry Manetti, and the way they played with that through the characters. Like a lot of successful televisions shows over the years, it was both a product of it's era and a case of the right elements coming together at the right time. This reboot show might work, but they have to find a way to make it their own and not just a pale imitation of the original. That being said...

I really hope they're not going to play the "sexual tension" card as has been mentioned. Even worse, they could follow the current "Let's revive this old show, but now it'll be a comedy!" trend. At least they didn't cast someone like Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, or Zach Galifianakis as Magnum; that would have been a sure sign of disaster.

"As a comedy..."

With Max Linder as Magnum, Chester Conklin as Higgins, Edgar Kennedy as T. C, and, say, Max Davidson assaying the role of "Rick" the saloon keeper, though in under another name, of course.

I never cared that much about the first one and have little interesting in this one. However, I saw an ad for it during a football game yesterday and thought, "my God, that woman looks like the woman who played Sam in "Foyle's War," but she would be older by now." However, with plastic surgery, I thought, who knows. So, off to IMDB I went and - how funny is this - I discovered that the girl I saw is Sam's (the actress Honeysuckle Weeks in real life) younger sister Perdita Weeks.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
"As a comedy..."

With Max Linder as Magnum, Chester Conklin as Higgins, Edgar Kennedy as T. C, and, say, Max Davidson assaying the role of "Rick" the saloon keeper, though in under another name, of course.

Actually, let's get rid of a painful stereotype. Replace Max Davidson's Yiddish saloonkeeper with Jimmy Conlin, as a befuddled, besotted barkeep, and for good measure throw in Myrtle Glass as his domineering, conniving wife, who is, of course, forever throwing herselfe at the suave Magnum.

Actually sounds pretty good. Anyone know a friendly neighborhood necromancer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112