Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make or Buy? Your preference?

Lillemor

One Too Many
I would prefer to make if I could. It would be more personal, the fit would be better, and it would be one of a kind. Right now I have to make do with what I can buy or people give me but I prefer to receive or buy homemade pieces. If money grew on trees or someone became very generous and wanted to support my vintage lifestyle, I'd buy reproductions.

Most of my clothes is homemade vintage or modern retro but not quite convincing enough to look like reproductions. I can live with that. I really can't afford to be fussy.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm a repro snob too, in general. I only buy repro if I think it really is repro rather than "inspired." I like to look as authentic as possible.

I do tend to prefer actual vintage and I'm not too fussy about one or two mothholes as long as they are small.

I don't think you can buy an original looking repro evening dress anywhere, I've hunted and nothing looks right. Suits too come to think of it.

I'm teaching myself to knit and sew so I can make myself the staples of a wardrobe, skirts, jumpers, blouses - as seperates are so hard to find.

I'm not sure I'll ever be good enough to make a suit or an evening dress but your never know.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure I'll ever be good enough to make a suit or an evening dress but your never know.
It does take a lot of both practice and patience. My wife, Tina, has been sewing, as in dressmaking, since she was eight years old, and very talented at it she is. Your's truly has been the recipient of some wonderful creations that have proved difficult to source elsewhere over the years.

She came across a vintage maroon blazer on a trader's stall, whilst at a festival. She called to me to come and try it on. "What a lovely jacket it is," I said, but sadly it didn't fit under the arms. "It's been made to measure for someone, but I can take the sleeves out and alter it," she said, adding, "there's plenty of seam to work with. On the strength of Tina's assessment, I bought it.

Back home the lady took the blazer to her cabin where she did the alteration, she also readjusted the buttons to hide my somewhat large belly. So tactful.

The blazer alteration wasn't her only task, she created a pair of baggy trousers, a waistcoat and a shirt to go with it. I told you that the lady was talented.

The hat is a Stetson Sovereign, the shoes are by Colin Johnson shoes and for the life of me, I cannot remember where the neck tie came from. Here's the end result, and by the way, I know that my braces/suspenders needed adjusting in the last photo, I just couldn't be bothered to stand and pose all over again.

Grey waistcoat & baggies 001.JPG Grey waistcoat & baggies 003.JPG Grey waistcoat & baggies 004.JPG Grey waistcoat & baggies 005.JPG Grey waistcoat & baggies 007.JPG Grey waistcoat & baggies 007.JPG Grey waistcoat & baggies 008.JPG Grey waistcoat & baggies 009.JPG Grey waistcoat & baggies 011.JPG suit20.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112